Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

previously posted byt never answered "im freaking out"

This seems to be the thread for me ... am about a month out from my surgery and well im flipping the hell out to say the least everything from mourning food to wondering how much access skinn i may have after dropping so much weight... i have never really been small so im not even sure if i will recognize myself after... i have always been a jock so im glad to be getting back to where i can do the things i love doing but seriously im having a hard time manning up in these my last days as a citizen of fatdom. I mean it took me a long time to become one with my fatness and now im turning my back on it .... sept 9th is the day ... i started eating to much as a coping mechanism to depression and skeletons in the closet... when i cant hide behind the fatass what will i do then?

Do you think you are truly ready to be banded at this point in your life? You have a statement that says you had become one with your fatness and now you feel like you are turning your back on yourself?

I have never felt like I was comfortable with being fat or one with my fatness as you stated. Even though I had researched the band for several years it took me awhile to commit because I wasn't sure my head was right at the time. I know it is a new experience and something that takes changes and time to learn a new lifestyle, but I believe in order for the band to work for you, you have to be truly ready mentally. This isn't just another diet you try. I am by no means saying you aren't committed as I don't know you and having fears before surgery is normal. But if you are truly ready for a change then you don't have anything to fear or hide behind. You LIVE and you enjoy your new life and you feel better everyday. I think that is what losing weight does to a person, it frees them to be whatever and whoever they want and there are no more excuses.

You have some really great motivational quotes on your profile. I too love to read encouraging quotes and stories. Just keep writing down your goals or if you haven't started yet then do so. Cut out motivational pics from magazines. Visualize a new and improved person, doing what he loves most. Surround yourself with positive images and people and you can't go wrong.

I wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery. Hang in there and keep visiting this site often for support and encouragement.

Sincerely,

Stephanie

Do you think you are truly ready to be banded at this point in your life? You have a statement that says you had become one with your fatness and now you feel like you are turning your back on yourself?

I have never felt like I was comfortable with being fat or one with my fatness as you stated. Even though I had researched the band for several years it took me awhile to commit because I wasn't sure my head was right at the time. I know it is a new experience and something that takes changes and time to learn a new lifestyle, but I believe in order for the band to work for you, you have to be truly ready mentally. This isn't just another diet you try. I am by no means saying you aren't committed as I don't know you and having fears before surgery is normal. But if you are truly ready for a change then you don't have anything to fear or hide behind. You LIVE and you enjoy your new life and you feel better everyday. I think that is what losing weight does to a person, it frees them to be whatever and whoever they want and there are no more excuses.

You have some really great motivational quotes on your profile. I too love to read encouraging quotes and stories. Just keep writing down your goals or if you haven't started yet then do so. Cut out motivational pics from magazines. Visualize a new and improved person, doing what he loves most. Surround yourself with positive images and people and you can't go wrong.

I wish you all the best for your upcoming surgery. Hang in there and keep visiting this site often for support and encouragement.

Sincerely,

Stephanie

Here, here!!!

never said that i was comfortable i said i have be come one... i learned to just accept it all the while i was plotting against it.

I know that getting to know a new person after being a character in fatdom is going to be hard. So many people assume that when they go back to being thin that they are reclaiming themselves. I think that is a big mistake. Because our journey into fatdom has changed us, we are different people, we tend to be more compassionate, understanding and patient. Because most of us have been judged wanting because of the weight we have changed fundementally. Being afraid of who you will become I think is natural. We will have to re-examine our values and beliefs. But think of it has a wonderful journey that you are on. You've learned different coping skills, (not just food wise) and you probably developed a different set of values. How exciting at any age to be self aware enough to truly examine our live, belief, work and plan for the future. Good Luck!

yes thats exactly it

I know that getting to know a new person after being a character in fatdom is going to be hard. So many people assume that when they go back to being thin that they are reclaiming themselves. I think that is a big mistake. Because our journey into fatdom has changed us, we are different people, we tend to be more compassionate, understanding and patient. Because most of us have been judged wanting because of the weight we have changed fundementally. Being afraid of who you will become I think is natural. We will have to re-examine our values and beliefs. But think of it has a wonderful journey that you are on. You've learned different coping skills, (not just food wise) and you probably developed a different set of values. How exciting at any age to be self aware enough to truly examine our live, belief, work and plan for the future. Good Luck!

These are some great replies. Some people regret surgery in the early days after surgery. To be sure I was not one of those people, I made a list of things I do not like about being fat and things I look forward to when thinner. It is a good thing to do as some people forget what it is like to be fat when they are thinner and only see the bad side (what they cannot eat, etc.).

I think what you are feeling is normal but as others said, see it as moving forward with your life. You will be happy with the results, I am sure.