Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All this is my first post, I am in the UK and being banded on August 18th. I've being reading with interest all the posts to try to prepare myself and am anxious but excited at the same time. I don't have a very high BMI but have been overweight all my life, numerous risk factors in the family and my inability to maintain any weight loss prompted my decision to be banded. I'm going for my pre-op assessment tomorrow but my main worry is how to deal with emotional eating after being banded. If anyone has had experience or has nay words of advice about this I would love to hear from you.

Hey there! CONGRATULATIONS on your decision! :biggrin2: I have my surgery on the 20th and can not WAIT! A great website to help with the whole psychological/emotional side of eating is www.shrinkyourself.com It is a 12 week course that I started (ironically) before even making my decision to have surgery. It is a wealth of information on self discovery and walks you through some engaging mental exercises that you can apply to everyday life. It does have a cost involved to take the course, but after all I had spent on the countless diets and gadgets I had paid for, it was a pretty small price to pay to find out WHY I do what I do. Let me know what you think... I'm going to stick with it and re-do every session again once I have my surgery.

GOOD LUCK!

Stace

Hey there! CONGRATULATIONS on your decision! :biggrin2: I have my surgery on the 20th and can not WAIT! A great website to help with the whole psychological/emotional side of eating is www.shrinkyourself.com It is a 12 week course that I started (ironically) before even making my decision to have surgery. It is a wealth of information on self discovery and walks you through some engaging mental exercises that you can apply to everyday life. It does have a cost involved to take the course, but after all I had spent on the countless diets and gadgets I had paid for, it was a pretty small price to pay to find out WHY I do what I do. Let me know what you think... I'm going to stick with it and re-do every session again once I have my surgery.

GOOD LUCK!

Stace

Hi Stace, I too have read the shrink yourself book cover to cover, strangely before deciding on the surgery also and found it really interesting. It's funny though despite knowing that I'm overeating and usually knowing why, I still struggle to know when to stop (I have an endless ability to eat without any sensation of fullness) and so I've never managed to nail this eating thing. Sooooo having gone round and round in circles reading self help then diet then self help book after book I have decided finally to do something practical in order to deal with it. Who knows though, maybe I'll pick the book up again after my surgery? You sound really excited about your date, have you been waiting long?

R

Hi All,

I am being banded on 8/20 and have the same fears that my lack of control due to emotional and compulsive eating will get the best of me! I am hoping that using the band as a tool will help. I am so scared to get sick, hurt myself by eating too much, etc.. that I am hoping this stops me from over eating. If I can't seem to get it together after having surgery then I am a hopeless case.

I think for me the key is to start feeling positive, like I absolutely can overcome my overeating and start to train myself to say no. :wink_smile:

THANK YOU to all who particiate in this website. It has been a wealth of knowledge and support for me.

Hi,

Wanted to respond about the emotional eating. I was banded on August 1st. As crazy as it sounds, was concerned about the first few weeks of liquids. Was more nervous about that than the surgery itself. I can tell you that I am not hungry, not even the slightest. Have trouble eating 4 oz of Soup. I did get emotional when my husband and kids were having supper and I was in the other room, just because I didn't want to smell or look at food that I cant have yet. The next night I actually joined them at the table and the weird thing was that they were eating McDonalds, and it didn't bother me.

I was a big emotional eater, didn't need to be hungry to eat. This is the first time in my life that food doesnt bother me.

You will do fine!:biggrin2:

hey, it's really good to hear that others feel the same and even better to hear that it hasn't been a major issue since being banded....gives me some hope that I might not be a hopeless case. I suppose if you really want it to work and try to stay positive it can only help.

Its great to have a place like this to chat and share and really useful to hear from those that have been there and done it too! Thanx for all the responses

I couldn't agree more! And Weighting, I actually haven't had to wait that long since embarking on this journey back in middle of June. But, in some ways it feels like I've been waiting my whole life for the freedom that I am hoping the band will bring me. Breaking the chains of food's hold over me for once and for all... and in doing so finally gaining my freedom and self respect. All I can say is THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME!!! :biggrin2: