Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any ideas why I am gaining?

I was banded 7/2. From pre-op to three weeks post surgery, I lost 50 pounds. Then the loss stopped. I assumed it was a natural plateau, or adjustment period, since the first 50 went so quickly. I was still on liquids, because I was totally afraid I would dislodge the band or stretch the pouch. I was finally encouraged to move to mushies, and have spent about a week and a half on them now. In that time I had my first fill, which made the band feel like it did the first two weeks after surgery for two days, but then went back to the norm. In the last week, I have GAINED four pounds. I eat no more than 6oz of mushies at a time, three meals a day, no Snacks. My mushies are ALL protien. At the suggestion of my dietician, I had my first "chew" meal last night. chicken and steamed mixed veggies. It went down fine. I woke up this morning and two of those four pounds went on last night!

As far as exercise... three 20 minute walks a day with the dog, plus a 45 minute fast walk or walk/jog (on alternate days) by myself.

I just fear its all coming back, and feel like I should go back to liquids or something.

I personally find that i can put on 4lbs if not going to the toilet,that time of month, or eat heavy bread. I have lost 84lbs since 18 seo 2007, so what you going through is nornal fluctuation.

Thanks... unfortunately I cannot blame Constipation, bread (haven't had any in months) or my period (unless when I ovulate it affectes me the same). I am sure I am just freaking out for no reason. I just keep seeing it add and add and I am working so hard. It just sorta scares me. I guess I should try to relax.

Thanks... unfortunately I cannot blame Constipation, bread (haven't had any in months) or my period (unless when I ovulate it affectes me the same). I am sure I am just freaking out for no reason. I just keep seeing it add and add and I am working so hard. It just sorta scares me. I guess I should try to relax.

I fluctuate between the same 3 pounds constantly.... I know this because I am one of the bad people that weigh myself everyday. It's extremely common since it takes into account lack of Water, too much Water, feces, undigested food, etc.. You're fine I would say. Just stay on track and keep working it all evens out.

thanks Brandy, yeah, I weigh every day. I know I shouldn't. I am considering getting rid of my scale and going in to weigh at the doctor's office once a week instead. Having lived a life at one extreme or another, I think learning to find my happy, medium, "normal" place for all things is going to be the hardest part of this journey.

thanks Brandy, yeah, I weigh every day. I know I shouldn't. I am considering getting rid of my scale and going in to weigh at the doctor's office once a week instead. Having lived a life at one extreme or another, I think learning to find my happy, medium, "normal" place for all things is going to be the hardest part of this journey.

I don't want to get rid of my scale... But I have been considering having my fiance keep it in his trunk or something lol. It's very weird how the mind work and how addiction can come in the weirdest ways... even when it's not a drug. I don't stand on the thing constantly but I do check a few times a day... It's probably not emotionally healthy though. I would love to go to 1 time per month weigh ins but I don't have the will power yet haha.

I agree... I mean I knew that there was a real major connection between my mind and my weight... I once went to a "food and body image issues" group, and I was the only person there who was overwieght, the others were either bullimic or anorexic. That was quite a shock to me, even though I knew it intellectually, I never personalized that body image issues simply manifest themselves in each individual in their own way. I went for years without a scale, and that is how I got to be the size I was. Now it seems that the scale is my enemy again, but for the same reason, I am on it constantly. grrrr. One of these days, peace will come, maybe this is my "patience" journey.

I had this same issue as you. I also weigh daily. I still let myself weigh daily, but I only record it once a week (every tuesday) and then when I look at my weigh in list I see I'm still loosing consistently.

I use the way my clothes fit, don't have scales in the house. I lost 80 lbs with SB diet and my self esteem was only as good as the loss (or the painful gain) that was on that #$@^^$# scale!

I will be delighted when I can use button my blouse and not have that last button tugging at the fabric... :wink_smile:

You've only been banded a month. You won't lose significant weight until you have good restriction, which may take a few fills. Keep a food diary, workout, and practice good bandster guidelines like not drinking while eating... You'll get there!

Thanks all for replying... I have been keeping a food/exercise diary, and not drinking while eating or 30 mins before and after, started jogging (which I NEVER thought I would do and now I look forward to!?!). I have determined that since I lost 50 pounds in two months (37 in the month before surgery and 13 after surgery) that its a really gnarly plateau and I just have to be patient and when it kicks in again it will be nice. Had my second fill today, and thanks to some weird popping out of my port a week and a half ago, the doc thinks my tube is kinked! I can only get super tiny fills now, or maybe revision surgery. grrrr. PATIENCE janet, patience!!!