Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Dr. Trace W. Curry or Dr. Brad Watkins in OHIO."Which One"?

I am considering a couple of Dr.'s in Cincinatti, OH; Dr. Trace W. Curry or Dr. Brad Watkins. I am looking for individuals who have been banded by these Dr.'s and would like for you to share your experiences, both good and bad as well as suggested questions I should ask during the upcoming seminar I am attending. I'm looking for the best support pre and post op. Please give any and all experiences as well as opinions that will help me make my decision. Thanks.

Hi there

I am being banded tomorrow by Dr. Watkins partner. They have 2 years of free fills following surgery. I am really happy with my experience there so far. i've heard realy good things about Dr. Curry, too!

Awe, thanks! Congratulations and I wish you much success with your new band. What are the steps you followed to get to the point you're at now. I'm trying to figure out how long it might take me to get the surgery scheduled from the time I attend the seminar? I am very anxious to have it done. Although I haven't attended any seminar, I have done an enormous amount of research. I live in Indianapolis but don't feel quite comfortable with what I've seen thus far with respect to those individuals that have had it done here and certainly no rants and raves about Dr.'s who perform the surgery here. I'm seeing an abundant amount of rants and raves about Dr.'s there in the Cinci. area and it's only and hop, skip and jump from Indy. Be sure to let me know how your surgery goes tomorrow. Well wishes to you!

I was banded by Dr. Curry in April. He is a great surgeon and his staff (who have all been banded) are VERY helpful. I just called today to schedule a fill and when I gave my last name the Office Assistant (Michelle) knew exactly who I was and that I travel from out of town. It's a good feeling.

Also, Dr. Curry encourages you to contact him after surgery if you have ANY questions. I emailed him about 4 times after my surgery and he always responded within 24 hours... personally. He answers questions on this site under "complications" and has his own "Ask Dr. Curry" section on ObesityHelp.com so you can tell he truly dedicates his knowledge to helping us.

The only negative thing I could possibly say is that I haven't seen Dr. Curry since my surgery. He has people on his staff giving fills. It caught me by surprise during my first fill but as I thought about it, he's a surgeon and he's where he SHOULD be.

I hope this helped!

Thanks!!! That helps quite a bit. It appears you're losing the weight too. Congrats! Hopefully I will be able to have the same testimonial.

Hi, I was banded by Dr. Curry on July 22nd.I was self pay and from the seminar appointment I was banded in a month.I highly recommend him and his staff they are the best. Last night ( a Sunday) I emailed him and he responded with in 30 minutes.I love my band and feel very safe with Dr. Curry.

Wow! Thanks so much. I am feeling much better about the possibilities of having this surgery with Dr. Curry. Much success to you in your weight loss endeavors.

Hi health4life - I was banded by Dr. Curry on August 5th. I can't say enough nice things about the team (from information seminar, to pre-op requirements, to surgery day, to aftercare and support programs). EVERYONE has been very sweet, and I never worry that I can't get ahold of someone if I have a question. A lot of the staff is banded too, and I think a lot of them were banded by Dr. Curry.

I went to seminars for both surgeons, as you are going to do, and I think that is a great start. You can get a good feel for what they offer, and their personality. I just chose who I felt most comfortable with. One difference: if you're self-pay, Dr. Curry is about $3000 less than the other center. Please know however, that this was NOT a deciding factor for me. I just felt the staff and programs offered at Dr. Curry's office was a better fit for me - it just felt right.

Feel free to send me any questions you may have!

Hi Leknigh,

Thanks for the reply. I went to the seminar today, had my consult, nutrition seminar and psyc. eval. next Tue and Wed, surgery scheduled for September 2nd. I really enjoyed everyone I spoke with today. How did you do on the 2 week pre op medifast diet? How much did you lose, if any, pre op?

Hi Leknigh,

Thanks for the reply. I went to the seminar today, had my consult, nutrition seminar and psyc. eval. next Tue and Wed, surgery scheduled for September 2nd. I really enjoyed everyone I spoke with today. How did you do on the 2 week pre op medifast diet? How much did you lose, if any, pre op?

So you decided on Dr. Curry then? I think you will be very pleased! :)

I did do the 2 week medifast diet. It was difficult when I wasn't home alone to not crave everything, but I stuck to it as best as I could (I won't lie - I was not 100% on it). I personally liked the eggs, chicken & wild rice Soup, smores bars, and the vanilla or chocolate shakes best. I did not care for the Tomato Soup or pudding. I actually lost 10 lbs. by my surgery day which absolutely thrilled me, as I have PCOS and losing weight is very difficult for me.