Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

seriously considering lap band surgery

I am seriously considering lap band surgery, But aliitle bit fearful of the surgery part. I have been researching Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. Seems to be

one of the best. Would like to talk to anyone that has had surgery done by him to talk aliitle bit about him.

Hi, I just had surgery 11 days ago with Dr. Ortiz (as my doc). He was came in and spoke with me before surgery to answer my questions. He was friendly and helpful. My surgery was over before I knew it. I felt better than expected. I didn't see him again after my surgery, but the other Dr.'s and nurses came in to check on me several times. I have emailed him questions since, and he has replied quickly. I also emailed him and said "hey you never came in to see me after surgery", and he said that he did, but I was asleep and stayed asleep for quite awhile after surgery; which, is true because I did not wake up until it was dark out. I also asked other people there and he went in to see them afterwards, so it was just my sleepyhead ways. Overall, I was very happy with the OCC and (so far) would do it all the same. Let me know if you have any specific questions. Good Luck!:smile:

Hi ,

Noticed you are from R I. I was born in Providence. Where do you live? My mom, brother and sister live in Warren. I was there in March.

Glad to hear your surgery went well. From the time you decieded to do the surgery. How long did it take you to have the lap band surgery done??

How much did the whole thing cost??

Reason asking is I'm going to be a self pay. Insurance co said no.

I have been saving for awhile now for the surgery. Won't be long now.

Have you had any problems since it was done?? Any problem with food getting stuck. I'm afraid of that.

gotta run,

talk to you later

Oh that's cool...it's such a small state. I'm from Warwick. I started researching LB in December or January 08'. I was working and pretty sure that my health coverage was going to cover it. I went to a free (mandatory for Dr. Pohl) 3 hour seminar on Valentine's Day. It was very helpful. Before I could proceed I lost my job and health coverage! So I too became a self-pay, and that is when I decided on Mexico and Dr. Ortiz. I had watched him on Oprah, then started researching him and Dr. Rumbaut (because at 1st I was very skeptical of Mexico surgery). I also bought and read his book, Lap Band For Life. After months of research and scraping together money (credit cards!), I called and spoke with Carolyn (patient coordinator) for about an hour and a 1/2 with tons of questions. We spoke a couple times, then in mid June I booked it for 7/24/08. I left myself time for the 2 week pre-op diet. Now, yay, it is already done (the band insertion anyway)! The price is $7950 for a private room and $7700 for a semi-private room. These prices include pick-up and drop off at the San Diego airport and 3 day stay at the Hotel Lucerna. The only other thing that I really had to pay for was the airfare ($506). I can't really answer the food part too much, as I am still on liquids. I just started on full liquids actually, last night. One thing that people were right about, so far though is that when you get your period (sorry-TMI) you do get more of a full/tight/bloated feeling. I didn't even want to have my 1/2 cup of Tomato Soup last night, so I saved it til about 4 hours later!!! :cool2: Other than that, not too many problems. I've had a few minor concerns and questions that I've emailed Dr. Ortiz about. Haven't had much pain, just some slight discomfort/soreness at times. Also at first I had none of the CO2 gas pains in my shoulder because I was walking (site seeing) all around Mexico since the day after surgery until I left. When I got home I took it too easy and didn't go for a walk for 2 days, then I felt the gas pains in my left shoulder, so now I have been walking (slow-2.7-2.9mph) on the treadmill everyday for 30-35 minutes, and take gasx to keep the gas away! Hope this helps!

Edited by getthin