Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone from oakland county michigan

Hi,

is anyone from oakland county michigan?

I am going to my first seminar on 8/18/08. I have been reading posts on this website for over a year now. I have a bmi of 40.3 and alot of comorbidities. I was told by my insurance cust.serv.Bluecare Network HMO,that they cover this and I should talk to my doctor for what requirements are needed. I did talk to him and he said I was a good candidate. He also was glad I opted for the Lap Band instead of GB. He did not say I had to do anything else though. He told me to go for the seminar and see the surgeon at Royal Oak Beaumont. I guess they will tell me if I have to do a six month diet or anything else. Is anyone else in the area that is going to the seminar on this day 8/18/08 at 4:00pm at Beaumont medical center on 14 mile road. Even though I have been reading everything for so long I still don't really have a clue of how I will do untill I achieve my own surgury. I have to say there are a lot of good reports but there seems to be a lot of bad stuff too. This makes me more nervous the closer I get to my seminar date. Before I called and made the appt. it just was a dream and hope. Now I am logged on every day reading instead of a couple of times a month. I feel like I am obssesing. I hope this is normal.

I have to say everyone on here is always so full of help and words of incouragement. I also hope that there is more sucssess than failures in the overall lap banding. Sometimes there seems to be more bad posts than good ones. :teeth_smile: I guess it depends on the day. Wow I guess I do sound nervous. It is just that I am 51 years old and have been overweight for 25 years and have now in the last year and a half gotten to a point where I can't do anything anymore. I have not been to cedar point in over 6 years, I panic at the thought of going to the zoo for the day. I can't even do gardening anymore because it will set off my siatic nerve and I end up 2 days later at the clinic. This is my shot at having a life instead of just watching one.:rolleyes: Please someone tell me there are more sucesses than not with lap banding.

I know, do I want some cheese with that wine......:wink2:

thanks for listening.

Hi there, I am not from Michigan...Chicago suburb :rolleyes: I just want you to know that I feel for you. I too was nervous just taking that first step and going to the meeting. I just got banded on tuesday 7/29 I was more nervous about that day though! :lol: Sure I have gone through a bit of pain n discomfort and still am... Is it worth it?????? Hell ya!!! Just got on the scale :wink2::thumbup::thumbup:Lost 10 pounds in 5 days!!!!! Never would have done that b4! All I keep saying to myself, family,friends is " this is really crazy...this is wild" :tt1::tt1::tt1: Keep the positive mind frame it will lead you to a better future! Good luck with your endeavors, Debbie :ohmy: :teeth_smile:

I also want to tell you that I have also got comorbidities... diabetes, hbp, hypothyroid, depression, i too get sciatica bouts, just bending n gardening n little stuff like that aggravates it. I was a smoker too. I too am sick of living like like this on the sidelines all the time! I want to be healthy, I want to be active, I want to be happy, I want to go places, I want to do things that I have never been able to do before... Since surgery I quit smoking, down 10 lbs since...actually down 28 lbs since december of starting my preop diet and going through all the motions. feeling better allready, walking ever nite, sometimes twice a nite! I just now feel like I am getting a grip on my life and that is something that has been long long over due! I have a long wayto go yes.... I think with the lap band we definately have a good start and shot though! Again good for you though...you are definately headed in the right direction!!!! This is coming from someone whom has been heavy (obease) so they say, all of her life...since about 4 years old! :teeth_smile:

I'm not from oakland, but neighboring macomb county!! I am still in the 6 month dieting phase. I will be going thru st. john in madison heights.

I also have several co-mobidities. I think being nervous/anxious is perfectly normal. Would be surprised if you weren't!!

I am truely looking forward to the journey!!

Thank you. I needed the positive reinforcement. 28lbs since December.

Wow!!! I am deffinatly going to have this done. I am going to go to my meeting with positive thoughts of my hopes and dreams for the future.

(but i will still be nervous hee.hee.hee.)

thank you again.

St Johns is right around the corner from me. I am right behind the hazel park race track. What insurance do you have? What month of your 6 mth are you at. I hope that I don't have to do this but I will if they say I do. Thank you for incouragement. I was afraid I was maybe turning into a chicken and shouldn't. I need this very bad in order to have some life left worth having. Good luck to you also on your journey.