Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling to make myself do it

So yeah, I was somewhat actively posting on here at the beggining of the year about really considering the lap band surgery. After making multiple failed attempts to lose it on my own, I was convinced after weeks or research that the lap-band was what I needed. So I scheduled myself in to go to a seminar. Drove all the way over to where it was, and then got too embarrassed to actually go in so I ended up just coming home. Talked to my doctor about the lap-band and all he had to say about it was "Well what's that gonna do for you?" And he discouraged me from going that route. I thought "Well great, if my doctor isn't even supportive of it then how the heck would I ever get insurance to cover it?"

So I tried yet again to lose the weight on my own. I was actually doing pretty good. Lost about 12 pounds or so. Got back below 300 for a while. One of the only things that was really helping me was I was walking about 5 miles every day. But after a while my right foot started having severe pains to where I could barely make it back to my car. So I tried to keep walking hoping my feet just needed to get used to it, but no. They just kept hurting worse. So I had to stop walking and try other excersize methods, but I have a hard time doing anything else enough to do any good. I'm sure if I was not so dang heavy that my feet wouldn't hurt so bad when I walk.

So now, that I have gained again and am back up to 315 yet again, I am seriously looking into the lap-band again. It is obvious that I do not have the will power and control to not eat as much and need something to help me in that specific area.

Hi there --

The decision to be banded is not an easy one, nor should it be, since it is a major lifestyle change. In fact, it took me a few tries before I made it to the seminar, then quite some time to fill out the paperwork for the initial appointment, and then to go to that first appointment. HOWEVER, I think those delays were actually very helpful. It gave me time to try (again) to lose weight on my own and it gave me time to really think it through. By the time I was in the surgeon's office I was committed and ready ... I have not looked back and, now, 6 months later, think that getting banded was one of the best things I could have done for myself. Good luck to you on your journey.

Cynthia

I look back now 9 months post surgery and wonder what I was afraid of. Everyone doesn't have my same success story, I realize. My journey has been the greatest thing I've ever given myself! I've run 2 official 5Ks, done 2 Sprint Triatlons and put alot of miles on my legs, bike and swim. These are things I'm doing because I find enjoyment in them. I no longer worry about what people think. I know where I've been and where I'm going.

It has so radically changed my outlook on life. I'm living again!!! I wish you luck on your journey!!!

Hi there!

I so understand your struggle. I did the same thing as you....considered lap band, investigated, then decided I could do it on my own. One year later I was still 300 lbs, suffering from sleep apnea and waking up with irregular heartbeat! I was scared for my kids and decided that if at the age of 41 I couldn't do it on my own yet, how was I going to do it this time?

I think you should talk with a bariatric surgeon, one that doesn't just do one kind of surgery. They can interview you and help you decide which surgery would be best for you. I wish I would have talked more with my surgeon before getting the band......they have seen so many patients and can give you the options that best fit your health and situation.

I don't want to sound like I am against the band. I love my band and after finally getting at the right fill level.....I have very little hunger and great restriction.

I thank you all for your replies! I can totally see how this time of not being so sure could end up being a good thing because by time I finally make the commitment to do it I will for sure know that I am committed to it. This last time that I made an effort to lose the weight on my own again, I really had a lot of motivation and was doing really good, and did see some decent progress, but then like always it leveled out and failed to go any lower and I got so discouraged again.

My only problems with the gastric bypass and sleeve and stuff like that is that I don't want to so drasticly alter the actual anatomy of my insides. I realize that the band is not just real simply reversed, but it would be a lot more easily reversed than one of the other surgeries. Hoping of coarse that there would never be a reason to have it undone.

I guess my Grandpa is possibly going to get a Lap Band here soon. I had no idea he was looking into it. I just think all the time of how much my life style would change if I did not have this fat weighing me down all the time and making me self conscious in every aspect of my life. I love to ride roller coasters. But after multiple times of waiting forever in line and then not fitting in the roller coaster seat and having to get off in front of everybody and being embarrased beyond words, I just don't try anymore and it really hurts to be missing out on so much.

I really want to be able to just pay for the surgery myself but I just can't do it financially right now, and don't feel like going through all the insurance crap right now. My insurance company does indeed cover it, but.................. So yeah, I have been struggling in multiple ways.

So thanks for your words of encouragement and help.

I really want to be able to just pay for the surgery myself but I just can't do it financially right now, and don't feel like going through all the insurance crap right now. My insurance company does indeed cover it, but.................. So yeah, I have been struggling in multiple ways.

You may not want to deal with any of the insurance stuff right now, but NOW is the perfect time to approach them. There may be hoops they make you jump through. While you are battling that front, you can learn more about what choice is the best for you. Doing nothing wil leave you exactly where you are right now. From your earlier post, that isn't acceptable to you, correct? JFDI!!! Just Freaking Do It!!!! You won't be sorry!!

When I had the meeting with the surgeon he said this time next year you could honestly be over 300 pounds. I was 258. It hit me like a ton of bricks he was right. Theirs no time like now! Your young and this surgery is only going to get more expensive as more people look into it. Go right back to the seminar of the surgeon you know your insurance will pay for and walk right in. Don't be ashamed. Only be ashamed if you don't.