Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scale obsession!!

hi

I bought this book "I will get you thin" and thought great this is going to help me as well.Until I saw that I wasnt able to weight for 2 weeks.....

I have a complete obsession with my scale(s).Yes, there is 2 side by side just to make sure that I dont miss the .2 up or down.Like that would make any difference what so ever.

When someone suggests that I put the scale away for a time it feels like I am setting myself up for a disaster.What if I dont weight for 2 weeks and I gain 5 pounds?What if I only lose 2 and didnt know that I should control it more to lose more?How will I handle the dissapointment after 2 weeks? bla,bla,bla.........

I am like a lunatic and the scale rules my moods a lot.Lost 2 pounds....great day...gain .2 diet diet diet .........lost nothing......diet.....

How do one give this up?Am I the only scale crazy person out there?

When people suggest eat what you want I get palpitations from stress caused just by saying it.I will most definately gain weight if I do that even if I eat just a little.Which of course is debatable weather that is possible to do...

How do one fix the abnormalities in one's relationship with food after so many years?When I hear that some people eat what they want and lose weight I want to die with jealousy and envy.......I would love to have limits.Without having to contol everything around me so much.....

Anyhow,anyone else with problems like this?

I can relate to everything you just said... I am the same way...I even weigh my self several times a day... And like you that damm scale decides what kind of day i am going to have... i wish i could just through it out the window but like you my anxioty would get the best of me if i did that LOL...I am going for my first fill today and am hoping so much for restriction because my scale hasnt moved in almost 2 weeks... and obviosly that is ruining my life... we will get through this!!!!!

I understand your need to know where you are with your weight. But wouldn't it be more exciting to see that you lost 5 pounds rather than .5 here an .2 there???? Have you tried setting yourself up on a weigh in schedule? For me, I weigh in every Sunday....my father is sooooo hyped on weigh in sunday its not funny!!! I call him every sunday morning with the report....and when he picks up the phone, he says Weigh in Sunday...not hello!! I wonder if he is ever gonna say that and IT NOT BE ME HES TALKING TO......eheheheh.... Anyway....just do it once a week. You may see more results that way. You have enough to think about besides that damn scale....Anyway, this way I get the feedback from the scale...I don't drive myself nuts jumping on and off the scale....and I will know "well if I didn't do so good this week, gotta do better next week". Usually you know what threw your diet down the tubes. For me, the problem is with the amounts of food I eat...Not since i have been banded....but I always knew exactly what meal threw my diet off course...then adjust accordingly next week. Maybe your anxity from "eat what you want" will save you through out the week...then when you do that once a week weigh in, you will be VERY SURPRIZED!!! I know this sounds like good reason, but your right, how do you stop something when your obscesed with it....I hope this suggestion could work for you....

This is exactly the reason I created this challenge.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=2541

Yoo many of us are obsessed with the scaleand what it says, since I started this challenge back in July of last year, I have learned to not let thesclae dictate my success. There are so many other possitive things that have happened to me in the last year since having my band other then losing the lbs.

It is amazing how successful I have beeen and only weighing once a week,It is so stress free, I love it!

There have been times where I did not lose for weeks, but never got discouraged becasue my sizes were going down,

Maybe you should consider joining the weekly scale challenge with us. It does work!

I am a scale addict. I weigh myself about 3 times a day. I dont know why.....

I am hoping with time this obsession will end!!

Patty

I feel the same way! I was banded on 5/17 ( weight 298 ) and lost 22 lbs by my apt on 5/25 to have my stitches out. I was over the moon! Then suddenly I added my Protein shakes, sherbert and wham I stayed the same for 4 days..I am now at 275 and have been at that waeight for a few days. I know a weight loss of 2-3lbs per day is not normal but I expected to lose a lb per day since I am still having just liquids! then once I moved to mush and slush it would drop to a lb every few days.....guess I got a spoiled by the initial weight loss. Is this typical?? what have others experienced??

I am guilty of jumping on the scale every morning then a few times per day..I like the idea of a weekly weigh in. I am going to put my scale away tonight and bring it out on Sundays.... thanks everyone!!!!

Okay ladies, time for some behavior management. If you are weighing more than once a day, start wieighing ONLY once a day for a week, then do once every other day, then once every third day, etc until you get to once a week. It may takes weeks to let it go, but weaning yourself may help.

I weigh daily in the mornings. Some mornings I forget. I feel like it helps me to see where I am. The only problem I have run into with weighing daily is that if the scale does happen to be a bit low, I find myself not hassling too much over the food. Then it's up the next day. Why do I do that?

Michelle, I was laying in bed last night thinking about how it's time to start doing the weekly scale challenge...see you over there!

desertmom I weigh everyday. I like you, worry that even if I'm eating the right things that the pounds will sneak up on me without me realizing it.

I feel the same way! I was banded on 5/17 ( weight 298 ) and lost 22 lbs by my apt on 5/25 to have my stitches out. I was over the moon! Then suddenly I added my Protein shakes, sherbert and wham I stayed the same for 4 days..I am now at 275 and have been at that waeight for a few days. I know a weight loss of 2-3lbs per day is not normal but I expected to lose a lb per day since I am still having just liquids! then once I moved to mush and slush it would drop to a lb every few days.....guess I got a spoiled by the initial weight loss. Is this typical?? what have others experienced??

I am guilty of jumping on the scale every morning then a few times per day..I like the idea of a weekly weigh in. I am going to put my scale away tonight and bring it out on Sundays.... thanks everyone!!!!

The weight loss coming to a screaching halt or slowing a few weeks after surgery is very typical. Until you get a fill you probably wont see alot of change in your weight. Or you might see some change but at a slower pace. Don't worry you are normal and you will do fine after a fill and your body is needing time to adjust to your new eating. I lost 10 pounds my first week after surgery and then sat still for 2 weeks after that. Then it took me 3 weeks to lose 3 pounds more. I got a fill and I started dropping 2 to 3 pounds per week and its being good and steady ever since! You will do fine!! Remember the first 6 weeks is a time for healing.. weight loss along the way is a geat bonus to the healing process.

Am I seeing that right that you lost 22 pounds in a week??? I'd say thats some major weight loss in 1 week. Its no wonder your body is confused and in shock. 20 pounds is alot for your body to adjust too in such a short time. You have lost 240in all right? In like not even 3 weeks time? Thats a great weight loss. Nothing slow about that you should be proud of that !!! Way to go!

I don't weigh myself at all. I just can't stand the disapointment. Just after I was banded I starte to weigh myself every week, after the initial weight dropped, I started to freak out that I wasn't losing any weight. I mean, crying-because-I-had-only-lost-a-pound sort of freaking out. Talk about obsessed.

I haven't been on a scale for two weeks. I'm going to guess that I haven't lost a single pound in a month or so. But you know what? I'm okay with that. I have my first fill apointment in two days. (sort of freaked out by that, but that's a different story...)

One of the hardest things I had to learn was that the scale lies. They all lie, whether we are talking the BMI scale or the bathroom scale. Delarla suggested throwing the scale off the balcony, and I second that motion.

I have lost 24 total. It's been exactly 2 weeks today that I had my surgery. I was out of work for 2 weeks and just stated back today. I have a desk job and am trying to get up and move as sitting for long periods is a tad uncomfortable. When did you all start moving towards the full liquid diet? I am currently drinking juice, fat free cocoa, tea ( iced and hot ), Decaf coffee with splenda, popsicles, sherbert, boullion, occasionally a fat free fudgicle and my Atkins Protein drinks. I tried cream Soup on Friday but made me a little sick to my stomach. I do not want to rush things but want to make sure I am doing this right...

oh, and I agree..the scale should go off the balcony! lol

I too am scale driven. This morning I made myself wait to weigh until after I walked on the treadmill and showered. It almost killed me to wait.

Now here's the funny side of this. Through my scale obsession, I have watched my weight go up and up and down and up but overall up. When I go on vacation, I don't have a scale with me and typically I lose weight. Shouldn't that be telling me something?

Thanks for sharing your dilemna. It makes me feel better. We will get through this and weigh alot less!!