Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help with portions

So, I don't know about my portions. I am on week 5 1/2 post-op. I am finding that my appetite is getting a lot bigger. I am transitioning to solid/regular food. I am still losing but slower I think. Anyway, should I be measuring things into 1/2 cup portions or should I eat slowly until I am full? I am so afraid of stretching my pouch out. Any advice on how you control your portions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Heather, at this point you have no restriction. It's VERY unlikely that you could do anything to stretch your pouch out since the food you eat is passing through it practically without stopping. Your appetite has returned because you're a healthy normal person and your band much of an effect at this point.

On solid food you may find that it's not as hard to control your portions as you think. Wait until you're completely on solids before thinking about a fill, but it may well be that a fill is in order. Don't expect to be full on 4 ozs now if you weren't full on 4 ozs prior to banding.

Guest j. lynn

So, I don't know about my portions. I am on week 5 1/2 post-op. I am finding that my appetite is getting a lot bigger. I am transitioning to solid/regular food. I am still losing but slower I think. Anyway, should I be measuring things into 1/2 cup portions or should I eat slowly until I am full? I am so afraid of stretching my pouch out. Any advice on how you control your portions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

A portion is 2-4 ounces of solid Protein (chicken, steak, pork, whatever) and 1/2 cup of veggies.

Don't worry about stretching out your pouch at this point -- not much you can do to stretch it out at this point.

Since you don't have restriction (probably) you'lll be able to eat WAY more than this I, I imagine. That is a common issue. I have a few recommendations:

-Eat the bandster portion. But if you have to have 5 meals a day to feel full, then that's okay. At least this way you'll get used to that size of meal.

-Eat the bandster portion of solids and then add as many veggies as you want.

It is critical to your success that you don't drink with your meals at this time even though it won't cause you issues. This is a time for healing and setting up some good habits that will serve you well when you do start getting fills and have restriction.

jayme

I have never measured my portions, I eat Protein first then veggies but not all of the time I'd say 80% of the time.. I eat until I get the signal, for me it is an ice cream headache... so I must be doing something right in a little shy of 14 months post op I'm 8 lbs from goal.

Thanks for the good advice. I am already being careful about never drinking with meals. I strictly observe the rule of 30min before or after that I was told. I am relieved to know that I am not stretching my pouch and that this is normal. It is just scary to be able to eat more. I have been on solids for all of today, except the Protein Shake that I do every am. I will continue to experiment with more foods to see how it goes so I can gauge the my fill needing status.

I sneeze! If I eat past that (even a kernal of corn as in tonight - I get naucious or stuck depending on what it was/is.

Heather,

I am 7 weeks post op as of today, I measure all my food out. I have one of the scales from weight watchers, My doctor says I can eat up to about 9 ounces at lunch and dinner, I am at about 3-6ounces. It takes me about 1 hour to eat, and I am full. I eat only three meals a day. If you eat slower that may help. Try putting your fork down in between each bit and also try using a baby or toddler fork, that seems to help me as well. keep us posted.

gwinky