Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never Thought I Was Vain, But...(Hair Related)

OK, so I was banded a year ago and have lost 103 pounds. I'm extremely happy with the results of the surgery so far (I still have 31 pounds to lose to reach my goal weight). I have never been this thin in my entire life and I now look forward to exercising or stepping on the scale or going shopping for clothes.

There's just one problem:

Since the surgery my hair has changed DRASTICALLY!

Does anyone else have this problem? It was the same at first, then I noticed it was falling out faster and faster until it was coming out by the handfuls. I panicked when I could easily see my scalp through my once-thick hair and found this forum where I read about others who had problems with losing their hair. Now I drink a Protein supplement everyday (I know some people don't think this is necessary for the health of your hair, but it can't hurt much) and I take Biotin daily. Now my hair is no longer falling out and is actually growing back. If I pull my hair back I can see new, tiny hairs growing in. But the texture of my hair is totally different. It is no longer soft and flowing. It's stiff and scratchy. I used to be able to feather my hair with little effort, now it is so curly I can't do anything with it. If I brush the curls out I look like my head is a giant cotton ball. And if I let it dry naturally, it gets all puffy and frizzy. I have to spray hairspray on it or use mousse before it dries completely or I look ridiculous. I have talked to several people who have recommended one Shampoo or another and I have tried them all, but nothing is taking my hair back to the way it was before - normal hair with a slight wave. I've even tried straightening it with a straighener but it doesn't work. I never thought I was vain about anything I had, but now that my body is looking better and I feel better, I just feel like putting a paper bag over my head so no one sees my hair.

Anyone else have these problems?

Anyone know what to do about it?

I'd love to hear any ideas...

Sue

I know of a product that's pretty phenominal. It will replace your Shampoo entirely along with the shampooing step in your shower. There's a cleansing conditioner out there called WEN CLEANSING CONDITIONERS by CHAZ DEAN and they come in all kinds of fabulous smelling fragrances ( the website only shows Sweet Almond Mint, but there's Fig too). It doesn't foam, but it cleanses your hair just as good as if you were using shampoo without the drying properties of the shampoo ingredients. Go to WEN to get more info about how it works. If you google the product, you can order it from all different places. Good luck!!!

Edited by Kimmie K

Kimmie K, just interested why your employer is sticking his nose into your personal business not allowing you to have WLS? Unless you are a fat-gram girl why should they give a hoot. If I was you, I'd be looking for a new job as your employer is unfairly restricting your personal business. Good luck for your future!

There are many insurance companies that have a strict exclusion for WLS (mine is not one of them - thankfully). I'm insured through my hubby's military insurance. But I really thought I was going to get denied, so I thought about going through my employers insurance but when I inquired about WLS they said it was not included but they would assist in fitness club memberships (WTH!!). I just thought that was utterly insane.

Regarding hair loss ~ I haven't been banded yet, but I know they say protien in the key. I have also heard about the WEN product and heard nothing but good things about it.

Kimmie K, just interested why your employer is sticking his nose into your personal business not allowing you to have WLS? Unless you are a fat-gram girl why should they give a hoot. If I was you, I'd be looking for a new job as your employer is unfairly restricting your personal business. Good luck for your future!

We'll just like a lot of other companies out there they have a WLS exclusion on their insurance plan. I physically work for Microsoft under contract with another company called Volt. The job I do is so too important to just quit and go somewhere else and there are opportunities to become permanent employees with Microsoft. MS insurance is insanely good. What I'm waiting for now is my hubby to do that very thing. He has one of several interviews today that will hopefully m'e him permanent so we have the better insurance. If that doesn't happen, I'm not sure what the next step is.

I thought maybe the dry hay like feeling hair was just me, but I guess its not. I am not really losing much hair but all of a sudden my naturally curly hair has become frizzy and has lost some curl. I was banded 4/21/08. I am going to check out that Wen stuff because I have been trying everything and nothing is helping. Thanks Kimmie K and Puju10 for the advice.

Vikki

I think the dry hair has to do a lot with the low amount of fats we take in. The right fats are good for hair and skin. Fish oils are supposed to be really good for your hair. You might want to try adding this to your Vitamin regiment to see if this helps.

Shannon

Thanks for the input, everyone! I have ordered some products from the WEN website. Hopefully, it will do the trick. I'm sick of having "haystack" hair!

Sue

I think that losing your hair and it's texture change is directly related to not getting enough protien in your diet. Protein Drinks are good but they still are not as good as eating meat or fish. With protien suppliments and powders your body does not absorb as much Protein as it does from real food. Step up eating protein and see if it helps. My MD always harps on eating your protein first and then worrying about veggies and starch if you can fit it in. Also, my good friend had the gastric bypass and she lost a lot of hair. When it grew back in it was wierd for a while but eventually went back to normal so hopefully it is a temporary situation. Finally, to the others talking about companies not having WLS on their plans. Unfortunately. this is becoming more and more common. My insurance has no coverage for any Bariatric anything...period. This is more cost effective for companies and what they pay in the short term for their employees health coverage. Unfortunately, they never seem to realize they will pay out more in the end with their employees having Diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart problems related to their obesity. My company is now even talking about making the employee pay more out of pocket for their health insurance if their BMI is over a certain percentage. I hear many companies are thinking about resorting to this. I think it is still an acceptable form of discrimination!

My hair changes quite often , i normally have VERY straight hair , no life bland ect.

When i got my hair cut VERY short my hair dresser said ' OH you have some curl back here' HUH ??

She said your hair naturally changes its texture and sometimes color about every 7 yrs.

which looking back I think she's right.

HTH

Mindy

PS congrats on the weight loss !!

Thanks for the reply, Mindy. I was just noticing how similar our stats are - I was banded on July 18, 2007 and have lost 103 pounds with thirty one to go! Weird!

Thanks for the reply, Mindy. I was just noticing how similar our stats are - I was banded on July 18, 2007 and have lost 103 pounds with thirty one to go! Weird!

AWWW Awesome !! I didnt catch we were so close !!

Drop me an email I would love to chat w/ you

Mindy

Congrats to both Mindy ad isign.

I'm always thrilled to see people close to their goal on this site. My doc keeps saying that loss of 50% of excess weight is the norm and we should be hapy if we achieve that.

If your hair has become curly, you might just need to learn how to treat curly hair. I have curly hair and I love it. It took me reading the book Curly Girl, by Lorraine Massey, getting my hair cut by someone trained by her, and starting to use the Deva Curl line of hair products to really fall in love with my curls.

The main thing is to stop using Shampoo. It strips and dries curly hair. If you're using the above mentioned cleansing conditioner, that sounds like a good step. You need a good conditioner. I use Garnier Fructis, Sleek and Shine Conditioner.

Also, a good gel is so important. I love the Deva Curl Angell. It's available at certain salons and online. It makes my curls defined without being crunchy. (Well, they dry a little crunchy, but then you scrunch them and they are soft, soft, soft.) Don't brush your curls, they will frizz. The less you do to your hair the better with curls.

It may be a new kind of hair for you, but you might end up loving it if you can learn how to manage it.