Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 1st - surgery day

Tomorrow morning at 5 AM I report to the hospital for my lap band surgery. I am really excited yet a bit scared at the same time. I've got everything that the doctor's office said to buy before hand and I think I am ready to go. I think I've been reading the posts too long now and I am scaring myself. For months before scheduling my surgery I read everything and I really think the negatives are far less than the positives which will last me a lifetime. I am hoping that everyone can give me some advice in regards to what to do and what not to do after surgery. Everyone says WALK and I will. What else do I need to know and do?

To introduce myself, I am 36 years old a mother, wife and dog owner. I am a high school librarian. I taught high school social studies for 9 years and have been a librarian for 4 years now. I LOVE my job. It is the best job in the school. I was always fairly thin until I had our daughter 11 years ago and since then I have just gained and gained weight until I am now 243 pounds. I am disgusted with myself and pray that this will be the answer that I've been looking for.

Oh, wow! I'm 4 days post-op. I remember that I could not sleep the night before. I'm not sure if anybody told you this but you will get a shot of heprin in the belly to prevent blood clots. I didn't know that! But it doesn't hurt. Anyway, they also might find a hiata (spell?) hernia which is not unusual. Also, your mouth will not just be dry, it will be like the Sahara Desert!!! My throat was also pretty raw from the tube and still is. I've developed an anoying and somewhat agonizing cough because of it. Also running a very low-grade fever is common. But EVERYDAY is a new day and you will be amazed at how fast you recover from this. Good luck! I'll be thinking of you, a fellow Texan!

Congratulations! All the best to you!! It's really nice to feel that I want something that another person has but no jealousy involved. I am truly happy for everyone who gets banded and I can't wait for MyTurn. I hope everyone who wants to improve themselves (espically their health) can be approved and successful with this tool.

Hi.... I have to be there by 9am and I have done the same things that you had... On the site reading every story... I also scared myself. Today has been half way between hell and heaven. I'm sure you know how I feel. My husband is blind and this will be the first time he is alone at the house. We have gone over everything but the added stress is not cool. We have a 8 month old puppy and what ever happens it happens. We live so far from our family and will be on our own... Another like challenge.. I just want it to be over. The doctor said I have to stay over night and that will be hard. Good luck...We can take this journey togeather...:biggrin:

Congratulations and well wishes!!!

Congrats to you both on your new journey. I am having my 1 year post-op anniversary tomorrow. This is definately the best gift you could give yourself. Best of luck. Let me know how you do, PM me if you want to talk privately.

Edited by wilem

WOW! Your progress is awesome. Can you share what you did in the weeks after surgery to lose and maintain your focus? I haven't had the surgery, but I am HIGHLY considering it. I have about 130 lbs to lose.

lsullivan - I am a Elementary/Middle school librarian. And yes, the best advice is to walk. Good luck!!! Post in a few days and let us know how you are doing.

Thanks everyone. I am going to try & go to bed (hahahahahahahahaha). I know that everything will be OK. I'm just nervous and ready for it to get done. Please share your post-op suggestions with me. I will read them most likely on Sunday. Thanks again!

Well I'm home now. It feels so good to be in your own bed, especially when you are 5'11" and your legs hang off every hospital bed on earth. I was Dr. Spiegel's first surgery of the day at University General Hospital and I truly can't say enough positive things about the entire experience. I LOVE that so many of the staff at UGH have had the surgery too. They were all so supportive and had kinds words. I got home about 1:00 this afternoon and immediately took at nap, but I've walked the downstairs of my house for about 30 minutes now and even cleaned the kitchen. I'm so surprised at how well I feel. Of course I'm sore, but overall I feel great. Thanks to everyone who gave me encouraging words Thursday night. I think I was psyching myself out.

I'm glad everything went well for you! It's good to hear about positive experiences. My surgery is sheduled for August 6th, so I am right behind you.

Wonderful! How did it go?