Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Home alone after surgery - will I be OK?

Hi all! So my surgery date is set, but unfortunately my husband will be out of town for work that week. His trip was set prior to my surgery date, but once I got the date I didn't want to give it up because I'm hoping to be well on the way to recovery before classes start again at the end of August. Anyway, my mom will be there to take me home - and I doubt she'll just drop me off and leave, but I assume I'll be home by myself that evening, and the rest of the week.

I know everyone's recovery is different, but after some of the things I've been reading I'm concerned it may not be a good idea to be alone the first few nights.

Does anyone think this will be a problem? I just hate to overdo it, or have difficult getting out of a chair and/or bed and cause issues with the healing process, or flip my port or something.

Sorry for the rambling... Appreciate any feedback! :thumbdown:

I had surgery last Wednesday and went home on Thursday, my husband is a truck driver, so he left on the road on Friday. I have a son, but he didn't get home till Sunday and I have been good. Nice to have people check in on you though.

I am single and live alone. A friend stayed over the first night (doctors orders) and then she left for work at 7:00 am.

I only told 2 people about my surgery, so i had no one checking on me. I think it would have annoyed me, because I was taking lots of naps the first couple of days. I had surg on Wed, and on Friday I went to the spa for a mani and pedi with a friend.

You will do great. Congratulations on your decision

Congrats on your surgery! I hate to admit this, but though I wasn't home alone, I may as well have been!!! I stayed home only the day after surgery then went back to work the next day. I wasn't able to work for the entire day, but didn't take pain killers because I wanted to be able to drive the 45 minute commute.....my recommendation? Relax, rest, and appreciate your peace and quiet. You won't have to worry about cooking for anyone, which is great considering you can't eat any of the food. Spend this time allowing your body to heal. You'll be glad you did. It will most likely be better to sleep alone, too, as I clearly remember not being able to roll over and needing more space than my shared bed allowed. Enjoy your relaxation and be well! Good luck. Stay on here when you're feeling like you need some support. The people on LBT have been tremendously supportive and helpful to me. I'm sure you'll find the same. Good luck!! :thumbdown:

You should be ok, but I suggest sitting/sleeping in a recliner. I could not get out of bed unassisted for quite a few days (4, I think). Most people do fine, but you don't want to be in bed, need to get up and realize you can't. Also keep your pain meds and Water near you! Good Luck!

I had my surgery on a Thursday and my husband and daughter were only with me during the night time. I did fine on my own except when I needed to call my daughter's boyfriend the following Saturday to drive me to the emergency room for an unrelated band problem.

Hi all! So my surgery date is set, but unfortunately my husband will be out of town for work that week. His trip was set prior to my surgery date, but once I got the date I didn't want to give it up because I'm hoping to be well on the way to recovery before classes start again at the end of August. Anyway, my mom will be there to take me home - and I doubt she'll just drop me off and leave, but I assume I'll be home by myself that evening, and the rest of the week.

I know everyone's recovery is different, but after some of the things I've been reading I'm concerned it may not be a good idea to be alone the first few nights.

Does anyone think this will be a problem? I just hate to overdo it, or have difficult getting out of a chair and/or bed and cause issues with the healing process, or flip my port or something.

Sorry for the rambling... Appreciate any feedback! :thumbdown:

I'm glad you asked this question. I am in a similar situation. I'll have my husband the day of and the day after and then he goes back to work and I have a 7 and 10 year old to help or hurt the situation. It sounds like many people have been up and around quite quickly, so I feel much better! Good luck with everything!

Congrats on your surgery. You will be just fine. My husband was home with me, but I really just wanted to rest. I had some gas/shoulder pain so I walked around the house ever half hour. Walking is a big help, but have your gasX strips handy. I have had many surgeries and stayed home alone. You will be fine just picture yourself getting thinner everyday.