Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating Habits

Hi Everyone, I sort of closed down and thought I could lose weight on my own. I can't :). I just have not been able to sort out my eating habits correctly. How is everyone else adjusting?

I am not getting in enough solid Proteins at Breakfast and lunch, normal at dinner and then snack on nuts/raisins throughout the day. So I am usually starving or comfortable with the trail mix. What are most people's meals? And are they comfortable with that? As an example I was having cottage cheese and Jello, or tuna sald, but they did not keep me full feeling. Even a left over piece of meat does not keep me going longer then an hour or two.

I have had two fills, third scheduled for the 14th of August. I know I don't have enough restriction yet, although there is enough to PB if not careful:blush:. But I am not losing as I had hoped, despite 4-5 days per week of exercise (Curves, biking & golf).

Has anyone tried the mentoring support group?

Dana

You definitely don't sound like you have enough restriction and I would guess that once you get proper restriction then you will be more satisfied after eating a small portion.

I eat whatever I cook for my family, just in smaller portions and most of the time come away from the meal like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner and feeling like I cheated in some way because of that feeling of fullness. I don't bother with breakfast because I am way too tight feeling in the morning to be hungry or bother with a possible PB or something getting stuck. My first meal is lunch, then dinner, and then in the evening, I do a sort of breakfast. I also allow myself eat twice outside meals if I need it, granola bar, fruit, nuts, etc. Also, exercise helps quite a bit, even if you can only do it 3 times a week, it helps.

Best of luck to you!!

I seem to differ in that solid Proteins (whilst they do fill me quickly) arent as effective for me as wholegrains in keeping me satisfied.

So I eat bread, rice, Pasta and cereals. I personally think that's a healthier diet all round anyway. So I dont worry about Protein so much.

If I have a sandwich for lunch, I stay full for hours. If I have a salad with some tuna, I'm hungry in half an hour. So I eat the sandwich.

I eat lemon pepper bumblebee tuna for breakfast usually.. this morning I had yogurt with blueberries though and a small cup of coffee.. that was my first time to try that.. at lunch I had chicken pho with bean sprouts instead of noodles.. about an hour ago I had a small snack of energy trailmix.. for dinner I'll probably have chicken and veggies or maybe even pho again.. I'm so addicted to it.... I can pretty much eat anything anybody else does except scrambled eggs, omelets, thick bread products and sometimes chicken prepared a certain way.. other than that, everything goes down pretty well..

Hi Melanie,

I think you are right about the restriction aspect. I do eat what hubby eats, just less of it. Have bought a scale so I can start keeping a food diary, that may help me know exactly what I am eating!

Dana

I have not tried to eat bread yet! I think I was so used to having a sandwich before my band that I have not planned for a replacement lunch item. I have had Pasta, sometimes not the best of results. Yesterday at the fair I shared a sausage roll with hubby, but the flaky pastry got stuck. Not a pretty feeling! Thanks for giving me another view point toweards bread! I shall try a slice for lunch!

I eat lemon pepper bumblebee tuna for breakfast usually.. this morning I had yogurt with blueberries though and a small cup of coffee.. that was my first time to try that.. at lunch I had chicken pho with bean sprouts instead of noodles.. about an hour ago I had a small snack of energy trailmix.. for dinner I'll probably have chicken and veggies or maybe even pho again.. I'm so addicted to it.... I can pretty much eat anything anybody else does except scrambled eggs, omelets, thick bread products and sometimes chicken prepared a certain way.. other than that, everything goes down pretty well..

Cool Crystal, what is pho?

Cool Crystal, what is pho?

Pho is a Soup served at any vietnamese pho place... it's very healthy.. its basically broth, chicken breast, bean sprouts and noodles and then they give you a plate of herbs to put in it like sage and parsley and you have sauces you can put in it too. I get mine with steamed beansprouts in place of the noodles. They also have vegetable pho and beef pho as well. It's SO yummy and I can always get tons of Protein in with it.

I can eat anything; my portions are significantly smaller than before, but still much larger than others who have posted on the LBT site ... 2 tablespoons of anything just won't work for me! I don't have 'usual' meals - every meal is different just as it would be before banding. Example :for lunch today tuna Pasta salad, lunch yesterday italian sausage with diced tomatoes, yogurt, and lunch on Sunday was devilled eggs, and coleslaw. I refuse to limit my food choices or else I will be bored. I do not have Snacks during the day (no interest in them), and in the evening (my 'weak' time), my snack (if I have one) may be pudding, or a piece of fruit, or veggies and dip. I try to avoid the evening snack altogether, but hey, sometimes I allow myself this, just as a non-banded person might.

My goal is to be smaller in size but 'normal' in eating habits- if that makes sense.

I too get frustrated with my weight loss at times, but I certainly didn't gain all my weight in 6 months, so why do I berate myself that I haven't lost it all in 6 months? I have increased my exercise steadily - again, no where near many others on this site, but I am doing it incremently and to a level that I believe I will be able to maintain over time. IMO there is no point in pushing to do 3 hours of cardio every day to lose the weight knowing that I cannot sustain that level of effort for the next 50 years! I am trying to find that level where I am stretching myself to increase my fitness without setting unrealistic expectations for maintenance.

So after that ramble...did I answer your question?:D

Edited by tapshoes
typo - tsk tsk

I am with Jachut, I think whole grains are very important for fullness. We aren't meant to eat Protein alone. Here's my point of view...

I eat crispbreads, whole grain crackers, that sort of thing. Soft breads generally don't agree with me, but the whole-wheat versions, especially toasted, are usually just fine. I pay close attention to the Fiber content and watch the portions carefully because it's easy for me to just crunch away mindlessly otherwise. I am still sure to get in my Protein and I don't want to sacrifice that by eating too much bread or whatever.

It's just my husband and I, but I don't cook separate dinners for myself. I just eat in different proportions and amounts. Dana, are you tracking your meals? That could help. Trail mix can be a good snack, but nuts and dried fruits need to be portion controlled because they can add up very quickly. I love nuts as Snacks, but I portion them out in containers or baggies.

Don't be afraid to try veggies and grains, just go slowly, be careful and chew thoroughly. You'll figure out what will and won't work for you. Try making your old lunchtime standbys a little differently...maybe making a sandwich with crispbread or using lettuce as the wrap (as long as you do OK with lettuce). Eat some whole grain crackers with that tuna salad. I hope things get easier for you!

And thanks, CoolCrystal...I'd really like some pho now. :D

And thanks, CoolCrystal...I'd really like some pho now. :unsure:

LOL, trust me, it's addicting... you gotta put those sauces in there though or else I don't know what it tastes like.. but man.. I eat it like three times a week at least. YUMMMMMMMMMMM :D

Hi Everyone, I sort of closed down and thought I could lose weight on my own. I can't :unsure:. I just have not been able to sort out my eating habits correctly. How is everyone else adjusting?

I am not getting in enough solid Proteins at Breakfast and lunch, normal at dinner and then snack on nuts/raisins throughout the day. So I am usually starving or comfortable with the trail mix. What are most people's meals? And are they comfortable with that? As an example I was having cottage cheese and Jello, or tuna sald, but they did not keep me full feeling. Even a left over piece of meat does not keep me going longer then an hour or two.

I have had two fills, third scheduled for the 14th of August. I know I don't have enough restriction yet, although there is enough to PB if not careful:blush:. But I am not losing as I had hoped, despite 4-5 days per week of exercise (Curves, biking & golf).

Has anyone tried the mentoring support group?

Dana

The key is, you have to find out what works for you. It sounds like you are getting plenty of exercise so keep that up.

I never eat solid anything before noon. I make a Protein shake for breakfast with skim milk, unjury Protein powder, 1/2 cup frozen (strawberries, cherries or blueberries) and a banana. I sip on that on my way to work. At around noon I eat lunch, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, cherry tomatos, zuchini slices, etc. Midafternoon I have a snack because I don't eat supper until after 7:30 p.m. I usually have an ounce or two of fresh mozzarella and a Tomato chopped into small pieces and sprinkled with basil. drizzle a little light balsamic vinegarette for a real treat. For supper I make an omlet with egg beaters, canadian bacon, and cheese. When we eat out I eat off dh plate. I usually eat about 1000-1200 calories a day, give or take.

I've only had three fills and I think I am pretty restricted but if I nibble all day I can still consume a lot. That is why I am pretty rigid about what time I eat and how much I eat at those times.

Another thing you need to really watch is your Water intake, the more you drink, the less hungry you will be. :D