Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing sizes in clothes?

Some of you here talk about losing 2 dress sizes or more with 30 pounds of loss. I have lost 60 pounds and only one size of clothes. Is this on account that I am so hard and firm? I am really big boned and wondered if this is why? Please answer

Teckla:confused::):confused:

Because of the amount of weight I have to lose I find that it takes more pounds to lose before I lose a size. Once I get closer to my goal weight it will take less pounds lost to get the dress sizes down.

I think you named it...it's all on how you are built. I have skinny legs and larger through my torso (built like an apple). I have noticed that I am only down 2 sizes on the top after losing the weight I have. But, on the bottom I am down at least 4 sizes. Try to be patient. When you reach goal, you will figure out what styles work best for you.

You are not alone!

I need to update my ticker but I have lost 40 pounds and my size 24 clothes I have been wearing for years are now a bit loose - that is all. I am starting to use safety pins in some of them at the waist but I am still too big for 22s.

At least the scale keeps moving in the right direction. :)

Apples is right.. it depends on how you are built.. In pants I've gone from a baggy size 28 (26's too tight) to a 20.. that's almost 4 pant sizes.. but my tops have only gone down one size. From a 3x to a 2x and some 1x's. I had a HUGE butt.. and it seems like most of my weight has gone from that area.. your weight is probably coming off from all over, so it's more evenly distributed..

And I thought it was just me...I'd been told that losing about 20lbs, takes you down a dress size...I've lost 36lbs so far and besides my clothes feeling a tad bit looser, my sizes haven't budged.:biggrin:

It also depends on how you are toning your muscles. I haven't lost an ounce since April. But the clothes I bought in April are falling off of me. I've been exercising a lot and my muscle tone is showing. I actually have definition in a couple places. I know muscle weighs more than fat, so I'm not to worried about it. I've lost about 59 pounds and have gone from a 24 to a 16 so far.

I'm waiting for the day when my size goes down too! I know the scales going down but not my clothes. LOL! Im thinking I need to lose quite a bit before it happens. But sure would be nice to see. Hang in there!

Edited by memeluv
spelling

I also think that a lot of us stretch out are big size clothes. I know if I want to buy clothes I need a bigger size than I am wearing now. So my theory is when we lose we actually buy the correct size.

I wasnt even that heavy by comparative standards, with a BMI of 36 AND I'm tall as well. Yet I had to lose a good 30lb before my clothing size truly changed and before people started noticing.

I must have packed it in well!

I think all the above answers are really good ones. It could depend on the type of clothes you have, too. I have a lot of stretchy pants and skirts. I've been able to wear those same size skirts through about 50 lbs lost and gained. For non-stretchy jeans, you might need to replace them sooner.

Also, I think my fat is hard fat. People say there is no way that I weigh this much. My mom says it's like a down pillowcase. If you take a pillowcase, and keep adding feathers to it, eventually it will get full and soft, but if you keep adding feathers, it will start to get firm and compact. You can keep adding feathers until it's rock hard. But the pillowcase never gets bigger. I think that's me. It takes like 50 lbs before anybody even notices that I'm deflating.

It also depends on how you are toning your muscles. I haven't lost an ounce since April. But the clothes I bought in April are falling off of me. I've been exercising a lot and my muscle tone is showing. I actually have definition in a couple places. I know muscle weighs more than fat, so I'm not to worried about it. I've lost about 59 pounds and have gone from a 24 to a 16 so far.

Aubrie,

What is your exercise regiment? I have had to start out really simple, because I was not an active person. I walk in the morning at work for about 20 minutes then I use the staionary bike at home for 30 min. in the evening. I'm trying to build up my stamina & I guess I'm doing alright, when I first started with the stationary bike I could barely do 5 minutes.

I'm really interested in toning, But I thought you had to lose a large amount of weight first.

Teckla,

Great post! I thought I was the only one not losing a lot of clothing sizes. I lost 80 lbs. and went from a size 2 to 3x to an X-large top and maybe a large pant or x-large pant. The X-large top is still afer breast reduction! Maybe depends on how tight we wear our clothing???

:wink2:

I've lost 50 lbs so far (YAY!) but only one dress size and I am most definately not big boned. I'm not discouraged though. I think it just depends on how and where you're losing weight. Like me, I lose weight all over so my stomach goes down really slowly, but all in all I look smaller (tho my blue jeans haven't realized that yet).