Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You've been inside my belly, but we've only just met.

This is a bit of a rant and this seems like the thread to put it in.

I had lap-band surgery on the 21st of July. This has been a good thing in my life. I feel empowered, confident and finally on the way to making life long positive choices. This was the switch I wanted.

You know that switch? You are in the zone with the new diet and you can push bad choices aside without sounding like food is out to get you. You easily move through a supermarket and don't even consider the salty sweet high carb things. Going out is a breeze. You lose weight. You feel good about -this- diet. And then someone throws the switch back.

You start making excuses for your choices. All food is good food, but moderation is out the window. You stop caring that you've gained all that weight back and then some.

I flicked this switch back and forth so many times I reset my brain. I just couldn't diet anymore without setting myself up for failure before I even started.

The band has been my choice to take back control. I get to keep my switch on and know that even if I stumble along the way, the band and my supporters will get me back on track.

The surgeons are suppose to support you in this. Right?

I have two good doctors. One whom I love, the other was the lead surgeon. Calm, dry humoured, but quietly confident. A contrast to my happy doctor, but still filling me with confidence.

On Monday I got my staples out. I met the second surgeon. He had been inside my belly and I hadn't even shaken his hand.

Instantly it felt off. He didn't seem to look me in the eye. I was up on the table getting those staples whipped out before he could say 'this won't hurt'. Which he didn't say.

I had questions. He answered them monosyllabically. I thought I was doing well, He kept telling me how that would change and giving me examples of how I would fail.

I was out of there in about 10 minutes with my confidence shattered. It was like he got me at my most vulnerable and then hit me with statements guaranteed to make me feel like even the band can't help me.

It took me a few hours before I could even begin to cry and then I felt like I couldn't stop.

24 hours later I managed to change my next appointment back to the doctor that makes me feel good about myself.

I -know- this is partially me projecting my fears on a surgeon who was probably just being brusk. I know it was partially him being insensitive jerk who has no bedside manner.

I hope this vulnerable feeling will pass.

I hope I never see that doctor again.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Oh I am so sorry that happened. I had a PCP a few years ago I absolutely loathed. She was a skinny (of course LOL) little thing that would say things like "We must lose weight" "We must stop smoking" she drove me crazy. One day I said...OK it's me who must do this not you. She got all pi##y on me so I changed doctors. I quite smoking 2 and a half years ago, and now going to change my whole life with this operation. She is no longer at the clinic/hospital I go too. My PCP now is the same guy as hubby he's terrific, he suggested the lap band after I brought it up, he is so very very supportive, he's a doll. My surgeon I met Monday, for the first time, Dr. Bramhs at Lahey Clinic was so very upbeat about this surgery, he said I was an "ideal" candidate for it. He made me feel so good about myself I literally floated out of his office. Then I get a call from his nurse yesterday, asking if they can film my surgery with my permission and take photos. They won't show my face, just my tummy LOL. I said sure if it helps people. All in all my experience with the whole team at Lahey has been wonderful. Not one person was negative. So I am going into this with my dignity and high hopes. The pre- op care is wonderful and they have numerous support groups after surgery.

I say don't go back to that doctor. Did he do your surgery? If he did I would write a letter to the patient advocate at the hospital and tell them what happened and how you feel, this guy needs a wake up call and some sensitivity training and shouldn't be doing any weight loss surgery until he gets a "brain".

take care and things will get better. Heck I'd use his negative energy to make me so mad that I will not fail you can do it to.

Edited by Shamrockgirl60

There are people in life that are just plain asses. Good move on making your next appt. with your dr. that has consideration for his patients. Good luck with your recovery and hope you have an easy transition into life with the band.

Shamrockgirl, I just wanted to let you know that I had my surgery done at Lahey on June 5th by Dr. Nepomnashy...he was amazing and the after care is phenomenal. Especially right after surgery...just know that you're in the best hands! This is the best hospital experience I've ever had and I would do it over again in a heart beat! Good luck!!:thumbup:By the way...I've lost about 30 lbs in 7 weeks in case you were wondering! :)

I am confused, what staples did you have? Is the band helping your or not, I could not tell.

Just wondering what is causing the weight gain? could the band have slipped?

Shamrockgirl, I just wanted to let you know that I had my surgery done at Lahey on June 5th by Dr. Nepomnashy...he was amazing and the after care is phenomenal. Especially right after surgery...just know that you're in the best hands! This is the best hospital experience I've ever had and I would do it over again in a heart beat! Good luck!!:thumbup:By the way...I've lost about 30 lbs in 7 weeks in case you were wondering! :thumbdown:

Great to hear that, my husband just had open heart surgery at Lahey and there were wonderful to him, it saved his life.

I have only heard wonderful things about the whole Weight Loss Center there. And it's wonderful you have lost 30 lbs. already, congratulations.

I am confused, what staples did you have? Is the band helping your or not, I could not tell.

Just wondering what is causing the weight gain? could the band have slipped?

The band *is* helping. The doctor's attitude did not help.

I don't have any weight gain, it was just that the doctor kept saying that it was only a matter of time before I started making bad choices again and that it would only be natural that I would gain weight. As many people have suggested it just inspires me to prove him wrong.

The staples were over my incisions. Instead of stitches to hold the keyhole cuts closed they used staples. Very clever things!

Take care and things will get better. Heck I'd use his negative energy to make me so mad that I will not fail you can do it to.

Thank you for everything you said. It is most heartening to see that people face the same experiences and manage to use it to as a positive rather than a negative.

I will do exactly that!

Thank you again. It means a lot to get positive thoughts.

Beck

I find when I encounter people like this it makes me stronger cause i want to prove them wrong.
There are people in life that are just plain asses. Good move on making your next appt. with your dr. that has consideration for his patients. Good luck with your recovery and hope you have an easy transition into life with the band.

Thank you both. I will do my best to put out the negative rubbish and take on more positive words such as yours. Thank you!

Beck