Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What next!???

Cutting the extremely long last six weeks into a shorter version. I wonder when I will be able to 'just get on and live with my band!:?"

I had my surgery on 18th June. No problems.

One week later(week 1) I had extreme port pain.. which didn't go away. I was told it was ok. Although situated under left boob.

Week 2. I was admitted to hospital with temp 102 and liquid situated around my surgery area.

Week 3... adjusting to antibiotic hell and accompanying yeast infection. NICE.. no real problems with the band. Quite hungry though. Normal.

Week 4. First fill. Dr couldn't access port after three attempts. Then under local anesthesia in op room he opened me up and took an hour repositioning the port, slightly lower. It was a bugger to locate and a bugger to stitch back in. Small fill.

Week 5. Extreme restriction building day to day. Loads of port pain Begin throwing up solids and mushies. Hacking cough starts and flu like symptoms without fever.

Week 6 (Monday 28th July) Dr office. Try for unfill. Can't locate port access area AGAIN!. Have inflamation and another infection. From that evening on I cannot keep much more than a teaspoon of liquid at a time. So painful. I throw up foam!

I guess I am just unlucky. He said some people just reject this kind of surgery. I have been so careful as has my Dr. He has been brilliant and very caring.

I am sitting up in my bed having had three full days now of not eating at all.. and in the last 24 hours have not been able to hold down liquid. I am even vomiting my own saliva and cannot lie down otherwise I feel I am choking. I am afraid to fall asleep.

I am off to the ER in a few hours for an IV to get rid of this dehydration and accommodating headache and shakes. I will see my doctor tomorrow instead of Thursday. I can't go on like this anymore. I am soo thirsty.

I hope beyond all hope that I haven't slipped my band. The more I think about it I fear I have. I am hoping it is just the swelling and liquid around the port area with my hacking dry cough that is putting pressure on a too full band.

I just want to get on with it!.. and it won't let me

I have lost 25 pounds post op though. So can't complain in that area! I wonder how much is Water weight this week though !!..

thanks for letting me vent.

Edited by kizzie
editing text

Hi Kizzie ,I know the pain you are in at the moment, I was banded 5th may 08 and immediatly after could not swallow anything at all ,even sips of Water came back up as foam. This was because the band was too tight. After 4 days on a drip I went back to theatre and had the band undone and some fat removed around stomach and the band done up again with no fill in it at all . Next morning immediate relief.I am not a doctor but I would say the band has not slipped but in fact it is too tight and you need an unfill urgently. You also need a drip for fluids and some food to prevent organ failure. I dont want to scare you but this is why I had emergency surgery 4 days later. I also had a port infection and a big lump after and had to have antibiotics before I could have my first fill about a week ago, everything is going along fine now . You will be fine with an unfill but if the Dr cannot find the port it will probably have to be done surgically dont wait ..charlie farley

Hi Charlie Farley, (great name!)

I could so have done with your post last night! I was up all night vomiting my saliva, in agony and so thirsty.

I went to the hospital this morning and my very good friend there (in charge of patient care) called my surgeon down immediately. He had me in for an upper GI within 10 mins and after another 20 mins of locating my port he accessed it and removed all of my fill. He said I have so much inflammation, liquid and infection around the port that his needle wasn't long enough to get through it all so he had to physically manipulate the port to access it to drain the fill. I had a couple of shots of anesthesia. He was so wonderful and I felt immediate relief. I vomited on the table twice and the staff and my surgeon had such lovely bed side care. I am so grateful to them.

I didn't have barium but something else I forget the name now. It was clear and bitter tasting. With a mint taste. Totally disgusting however. I did watch it slowly pass through my stomach. Even without the fill it took a long time to go through in drops. I have severe inflammation around my stoma and the bottom of my esophagus.. so am on Clear liquids for a few days and then puree for a week. I can handle that. I was so desperate for a drink when we had finished. It took me half an hour to drink a small can of sports drink (without carbonation). It was the most wonderful drink I have had in years!!!! .. it still hurts a lot to drink and I feel as though I will throw up but know with tiny sips it will go through.

I have no slippage of the band and the port hasn't flipped again so I am VERY VERY happy right now. Exhausted but happy!...

thank you so much for your post. I truly appreciate and so pleased to hear you are on the mend!!

I am off for some well deserved broth now!! GOSH the relief of knowing I am ok is incredible!!