Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI - high end plus 10 pounds?

Hi Everyone:

I am wondering about BMI goals. I know that for me, the top of my BMI range is 159 pounds.

I currently weigh 182 pounds (ticker not updated). So, I have 23 pounds until a healthy BMI. However, I'm already able to wear some size 12 pants. I think that if I lose 23 pounds I'll be in a size 10 and that's too thin for me.

I'm already getting comments from people about getting too thin on the top half of my body. Frankly, if I lose 23 more pounds I think I may look gaunt.

So, I'm thinking that I may want to set my goal 10 pounds above healthy BMI, or 169 pounds for my 5' 7" frame.

I will ask my doctor next month, but I'm looking for all of your expertise. What's the harm in being ten pounds overweight, versus the BMI healthy weight range? Is there really much difference? I'm 48 years old and don't want to be thin. I want to be average-sized. I just don't want to be fat! I'm almost there now.

Please tell me if you know if there's much more risk to someone's health if they are carrying an extra ten pounds or not.

Thanks everyone.

Sue

I don't believe there is one "perfect" number that indicates health weight wise. I would factor in some things like how you feel, how are your blood test results for cholesterol and the like. I also think your waist measurement is important since fat carried in the midsection is associated with more health problems. So if you feel good, feel you look good and all of your other health indicators are OK I would not chase a BMI. Also if you feel you are "too thin" on the top half I would suggest some weight training if you are not already doing this. You can add some nice definition and change the over all look of your proportion this way. Lastly CONGRATS on your incredible success. I started a little abover your starting weight and I hope I am able to report the same weight loss as you when my time comes!

There's no harm in it really. Statistically, you're barely any more at risk of weight related disease. And you can beat that by being fit and eating well.

I was always very critical of this, its not in my nature to aim for anything less than stupendous results. I always wanted to get down to about 65kg, which is a BMI of 20 for me, I'm so nearly there, but I am realising that my bum is STILL going to be flabby and my face isnt going to look that great. My upper body is bony thin, I like bones, I like a very slender look and I think collarbones are sexy, but I definitely do not need to lose anymore, or I will be gaunt. What is left is probably extra skin which whilst its not hanging like it is for many, it does make for a bit of flab. I probably cant lose it so I really am coming to terms with not even trying.

Its hard to just "stop dieting" though. I've never been at a place where I was happy with my weight. So although I'm happy with it now, I dont really know how to just be this weight if that makes sense. If you can definitely say "right, I've finished" and mean it, then that in itself is an important part of overall health.

and thank you for not saying skinny is ugly, which is what ALWAYS causes fights over this topic.

Thanks Christine and Jacqui. I'll let you know what the doctor says next month.

It's so good to be "almost" comfortable in my skin. I wish this feeling to everyone.

Take care.

Sue

Stop where you're comfortable. We all get wrapped up in numbers. I am only 5' 3" but I plan on being around 150-160. I will probably wear a 9-10 thats what I was before my kids.. It was perfect for me and yet its still overweight for my height. I will continue to lose and then maintain when I feel that I am comfortable : )

I wish you the best of luck.