Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is being intubated a must

I was wondering if you must be intubated during the surgery to put in the lapband? Has anyone not been intubated for the surgery?

everyone i know including myself has been intubated

I'm not certain, but I think that it is a must because you are under general anethesia (sp?). When I had my surgery, I didn't even remember it. My throat was a little sore, kind of dry feeling, but that cleared up within a few hours. Other than that, if they had'nt told me I would be intubated, I wouldn't have known.

As a previous surgical nurse..........All surgical patients are intubated. That's a given. You may not know it, but as soon as you are "out" the intubation tube is inserted. It is usually removed as soon as you are safely "out of the influence".

And you may not think so, but you want it there. If anything unexpected were to happen, (and 99.9 % of the time everything goes fine) the intubation tube is in place to provide the means for needed support measures. You won't have an option in choosing or not to have the ET tube.

Sure, it may cause a little discomfort but the safety it provides for both you and your anesthesiologist is well worth it.

Being intubated is a MUST when you go under general anesthesia. It is a requirement. Believe me you don't want to NOT be intubated. If anything were to happen that is one of your "lifelines", it is how they make sure you are getting proper oxygen to your lungs. It really isn't a big deal I've been under a couple times and you will never know you were even intubated. My throat was a little rough but compared to the pain you will have from the gas and incision you won't even give it a moment's notice.

um they didnt tell me anything... all I know is I woke up and could barely talk I did not get my voice back until now 2 weeks later Ive had surgery before and I didnt have any voice problems. Maybe they messed up or somthing i dont know.. But anyways dont worry about it you will be asleep and will not know anything

I was inbubated but I never seen the tube cause it was inserted once I was sleep and removed before I woke up. I did have a sore throat and was very horse.