Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I lost my band...

Well, for those that are following: I did end up getting a VSG. I couldn't keep the weight off on my own. But the good news is that I LOVE my VSG - it is working much better for me than the band ever did. I now weigh less after one month with my VSG than I ever did with my band. But that's just me...a lot of people do have good luck with the band; I wish them well, but unfortunately, it wasn't the greatest tool for me.

Good luck to everyone out there!

Well, for those that are following: I did end up getting a VSG. I couldn't keep the weight off on my own. But the good news is that I LOVE my VSG - it is working much better for me than the band ever did. I now weigh less after one month with my VSG than I ever did with my band. But that's just me...a lot of people do have good luck with the band; I wish them well, but unfortunately, it wasn't the greatest tool for me.

Good luck to everyone out there!

What's VSG? Can you tell me where there is a list of acronyms for this forum please. Thanks Marylyn

A few weeks ago, I developed pain in my lower abd. with fever etc... I ended up in emerg., had a bunch of tests done, ct scan, xray, blood work etc... I started to improve after a day or so of iv antibiotics. The MD said that my I band was infected, that the ct scan showed pockets of Fluid in the abdomen, along the tubing etc... So, he said that if I had another episode, to see him in emerg , he recommended that I have it removed.

I was devestated, thinking that I would lose my band. I am pretty much at goal weight, and almost at my 1 yr bandiversary.

I feel fine now, normal really. I had a complete unfill and am waiting to see another surgeon for a second opinion. I am self-pay, Mexico and very few Dr.s know anything about the band here.

I would appreciate any advice anyone out there can give me. Like, is it imperative that I have it taken out? Has anyone out there had an episode like this and NOT had to have the band removed?

I know that I am grasping here, but I really do love my band!

Thanks!

I haven't had this happen personally but I have read about others who have gone through it. Not everyone has their band removed. However, I also think it makes a difference if the infection is around the band itself or just near the port tubing.

Some people have their port removed and then later a new port is put back in if the infection is around the port. Some people go on extended periods of antibiotics to battle the infection.

I think luluc (if I remember correctly) may have gone through this. Do a search on her user name to read some posts regarding infection. There are others as well. You may be able to get information through posts or by PM'ing people that have written about the topic before.

Another thought is just to start a new thread regarding infection and how it has been handled. Perhaps even a poll might help. If you do this, it might be helpful to put it in a main forum instead of complications in that it might get more reads/responses.

A few weeks ago, I developed pain in my lower abd. with fever etc... I ended up in emerg., had a bunch of tests done, ct scan, xray, blood work etc... I started to improve after a day or so of iv antibiotics. The MD said that my I band was infected, that the ct scan showed pockets of Fluid in the abdomen, along the tubing etc... So, he said that if I had another episode, to see him in emerg , he recommended that I have it removed.

I was devestated, thinking that I would lose my band. I am pretty much at goal weight, and almost at my 1 yr bandiversary.

I feel fine now, normal really. I had a complete unfill and am waiting to see another surgeon for a second opinion. I am self-pay, Mexico and very few Dr.s know anything about the band here.

I would appreciate any advice anyone out there can give me. Like, is it imperative that I have it taken out? Has anyone out there had an episode like this and NOT had to have the band removed?

I know that I am grasping here, but I really do love my band!

Thanks!

Did anyone do an upper endoscopy to see if you have eroded? You might want to ask about that.

Pockets of Fluid along your tubing is not a great sign.

I think luluc (if I remember correctly) may have gone through this..

i did have a port site infection that was detected during the removal of a hernia that was right under my port. i had had port tenderness & pain while eating for a month or so & decided that my surgeon should be the one to play dr and find out what's going on.

i was on major rounds of antibiotics / anti inflammatory / pain meds & last tuesday had an endoscope which showed the infection all cleared. my dr "swore" it was an early detection - reason it cleared....but i wasn't going to be happy, till i woke up and it was all in place.

mica - your infection sounds a bit more advanced, than say my localized port one...are you still on antibiotics? do you have an upcoming appt? i still have another endoscope scheduled in 3wks for another looks see (my paranoia request) - i too am self pay, my insurance however is covering all the "extras" that i've currently experience.

hope it all goes well for you.