Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost 80 pounds in under 6 months. Loving my band!

hi my name is melissa also my journey began in may received my band june 30th lost total of 32 pounds since being banded i lost 11 pounds but i keep fighting with the same 2 pounds for about 2 weeks i lose it then gain it i get my first fill tues

Maguirre,

Hopefully your fill will help get the weight loss going again. That's what they have done for me--especially the first one. Just remember to be careful once you're eating solids after the fill. You don't want to get anything stuck. Chew, chew, chew!

Ovahkummer,

Sounds like you're doing great. Keep it up.

I'm really feeling good about this fill I got on Friday. I'm not too tight, but I am feeling a difference in fullness and satiety. I'm in a good spot. I hesitate to call anything my sweet spot, because I don't think there's a specific magic place. I think many places can be sweet with the band. You just have to be able to work well with what you've got and you're sitting pretty sweet!

Hi Melissa -

Thanks for checking in. I'm feeling a blue today. I just returned from a four day business trip. I went back to my old, mostly bad habits. I didn't exercise and I was able to eat anything I wanted. I really looking forward to my first fill. At this point I feel like I can eat whatever and whenever I want.

I know the band is only a small part of this journey. I do need to change my eating habits. The fall is a busy travel time for me. I need to make changes if I want to succeed.

Kathy

Kathy,

Sorry you're feeling down. Traveling is hard. You just don't have as much control as normal over what you eat. Plus you haven't even had a fill yet. That does make a difference.

I'll bet you did make some choices better than you would have pre-band. Can you find any decisions you made that were a step in the right direction? I'll bet you can!

For example, I had a hamburger while traveling, but chose to not eat the top bun. That wasn't something I would have done pre-band. I also didn't order fries, or soda, of course. So, yeah, the burger wasn't the best choice, but I did make it healthier.

Find what you did right and focus and build on that. You're right, you do need to make good changes to be successful. For me, I've been motivated as the weight comes off to make better and better choices.

Make a game plan for traveling and decide ahead of time how you're going to get some exercise, and healthy food choices. That way maybe most of the trip will be good, and the parts that aren't as healthy won't make as big of an impact. Hang in there.

Melissa

Hey Melissa,

Things have not been too bad for me. Walking is getting easier. I don't see it as such a hurculean task now. Although I have not weighed to find out how much I've lost since my fill almost two weeks ago, I can feel a big difference. I am eating between 3/4 to 1 cup of food at each meal and feeling very satisfied. I have not touched a morsel of bread since and chicken is now a very uncomfortable food to eat. I drink a lot of soy milk and eat peanuts, Beans etc to get in my Protein. My capsules still go down with a little discomfort in the mornings so I've switched to taking them in the afternoon when the restriction eases up just a little. This morning I woke up on my back! This means I've really lost some weight off my chest. Normally as soon as I am on my back I would feel like I'm stiffling. This is really exciting and motivating for me. I am staying away from the scale, I don't want it to ruin this victory feeling I've got going.

Hi I am soon to be 51 and soon to be banded Sept.15th 2008 in Monterrey Mexico ... I am pretty nervous about the surgery because I am such a baby to pain.. But I am also so excited to start this new journey in my life... Any advice as to what to expect right after surgery? What do I need at home as far as after care? Thank you I look forward to hearing from you..:(

ovahkummer,

I finally realized what your avatar picture is. I love that. I've felt like that person inside for years.

Keep it up. Sounds like you're doing great. The "victory" feeling is so amazing. There will be days where it's fleeting, but overall it has been present for the last six months for me. I hope it continues for you. Just keep doing what you know you should be doing. :tt2:

Bulldogger,

Congratulations on making such a big choice in your life. I don't have any experience with the whole Mexican experience, but there are many around here who do.

As far as after the surgery, my advice is to have someone there who is dedicated to taking care of you and helping you. Don't try to rush into getting back to regular life until you feel ready. Give yourself time to heal.

The first few days after my surgery are kind of a blur. I ended up not getting a prescription for pain meds, so it was just liquid Tylenol. I slept a lot. I have a pretty low pain threshold too, so if I survived, I think anyone can.

Good luck and let us know how things go.

Hi Melissa et al -

I had a reality check at the Dr's yesterday. I was complaining about slow weight loss, hunger, etc. He reminded me that it's only been 5 weeks, that I am still healing and that hunger will be normal until the first fill. He encouraged me to try to get in Protein and Water. He also said that if I needed to up my calories to 1500 that was ok. My first fill in 9/8. He said that things will get better then with my hunger. It was good to check in with him and hear this info.

Kathy

I'm glad you had that experience. Yes, the first few weeks should be about healing, and the weight loss is supposed to be a bonus, but who among us wasn't anxious to see that scale move. It is hard to be hungry, so when you are, you should eat. Try to follow your doctor's guidelines as closely as you can, but I think it's important to eat when you are truly body hungry.