Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about Exercise, Low Carb and Work Out clothes!

Ladies,

Ok, running is out for me unless I want a black eye :angry::glare:! So I am working out on my elliptical machine and walk on my treadmill at home. I purchased the Biggest Loser DVD's (all four of them) and those are fantastic. Too many lunges for me, but I do them. I won't even try the jumping jacks (the girls are too big:ohmy:), but what are you doing for exercise. Just trying to get an idea of what is working for everyone else on there.

I don't think I am losing as fast as I should be, I know I am just at 7 weeks out, but the majority of my weight loss was before I was banded. I have my second fill today, but I have never felt any restriction since I got banded. Even the day of the surgery. I came home and drunk a 12oz Protein Shake without any issues. I feel tightness when I eat something dry (chicken or steak) but that is about it. Most of the time I stop eating because I know I shouldn't be eating that much. Are any of you doing low carb (Atkins or South Beach) and if so, is it helping.

Also where are you buying your work out clothes from, particularly a sports bra? :)

Ok, I know I snuck three topics in this one, but just looking for some answers.

Thanks ladies

eating low carb definitely helps. My dr. stresses Protein first, then veggies and then fruit. You will get a little bit of carbs from fruit, but that doesn't include noodles bread rice, etc.

Most people don't get good restriction until they have had 2 or more fills. If you want good restriction fast, ask your doctor to be aggressive.

Denise,

Thank you very much. The only problem is when I get my fills it's not my doctor who does them. It's done at the fill center. I am going to leave work in about 10 minutes for my fill appointment, but when I talk to the girl that does it, I will just let her know that I need some restriction. I can't even lie to you I could eat a 160z steak and not even feel full (don't ask me how I know). But I need some help on this. My husband is dropping weight like crazy. He went from 312 pre-op, to 298 on his day of surgery and he is not 274 as of this morning. He is just now 8 weeks. He doesn't even work out!!! He has a physical job, but he's not running a marathon or anything. To make it worse, he is eating like crazy. He eats taco bell just about everyday. I'm just getting frustrated.

I've never truly looked into going low carb, I know that it probably would be the best thing. I guess I need to buy the Atkins book and start highlighting some stuff. I am going to Homecoming in October and I would love to be below 200 at that point.

Jen

You don't really need the book. You can look it all up online. Tell your person who is going to do your fill to be aggressive.

There is a thread under food and nutrition for those of us doing low cab. You can have carbs, but you need to learn the difference between good carbs and bad. Look up the gylcemic index online.

Good carbs- fruit in small amounts, veggies, whole grain Cereal, etc.

bad carbs are white other than cauliflower. white rice, Pasta, white bread, (although once you get good restriction, you won't be eating any bread easily.)

It does really suck that men can lose weight much easier than women.

I have not found running to be a good option for me due to my weight and knee conditions. I have purchased a recumbant bike and found that works well for me. I ride while looking at TV. I can do a whole hour if the story is good:wink_smile:.

I love carbs and am working on eating more of the better carb sources and amping up the exercise. As for sports bras, I suggest sites such as www.ladygrace.com or www.herroom.com as good sources for plus sized bras and other undergarments.

Thank you, Denise for suggesting the nutrition board. I will roll over there and spend more time there.

You're welcome. Tammy are you on the over 50's thread? We are all very supportive there. It's harder to lose as we get older.

You're welcome. Tammy are you on the over 50's thread? We are all very supportive there. It's harder to lose as we get older.

Yes, Denise, I am on the 50's thread. I don't post much over there but read it often.

Okay, good!

Hello ladies,

For my exercise I plan to walk on my treadmill, lift weights, go swimming (I love swimming). Also, I want to learn how to hoop dance, its not your average hula hooping. I think hula hoop dance will be a fun way to exercise and learn some sexy moves at the same time. As I become more active I might add in skating and running.