Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am planning to use short term disablity to cover my time from work. I have never had to use and I am waiting to get a packet from my HR department . How does the short term work? Can anyone let me know what their experience has been? Thanks!

Well I'm a pro at short term disability. I've used it 4 times for the birth of my kids.

Many companies have a waiting period before your short term disability kicks in. Some have no waiting time but typically it ranges from 3 to 10 days. For the 3 to 10 days you have to use sick or vacation time. Once that kicks in, you should have your other paperwork already completed by your surgeon and it starts automatically.

The problem I think you are going to have is that the time off has to be doctor approved. Unless you have complications from the lapband (which I hope you don't), the doctor will probably only give you a 1 to 2 week recovery period. This is something you really need to talk over with your doctor. I'm not sure how much time you are wanting to take off.

So you might not be granted STD based off of the doctors release. The key thing to remember is that you need to file for FMLA (family medical leave act) this is DIFFERENT from STD but should be in the same packet of info that you get. The FMLA ensures that you have a job to come back to if you are going to use STD or if you don't have sick/vacation days to use.

Hope this helps!!

My doctor said he would be happy to sign me off for 6 weeks for short term disability. I cannot stand sitting at home though so I took just a few days off haha

At my work though short term kicks in on the 8th working day missed. They pay 60% of your wages tax free.

I'm not sure about your state, as I live in NY.

I am not using STD for my surgery, but did have to use it for my pregnancy. I believe that they make you use any leftover vacation time that you have before STD would kick in, and at my job it didn't start until the 6th day you have been out.

And I'm not sure about elective surgery, as for Maternity it was 6-8 weeks, depending on what sort of delivery you had. I don't know how they would determine how much time you could take off. I guess it would be up to your surgeon. You also don't get a whole paycheck, at least I didn't. And mine was taxed, because I chose to have it that way.

FMLA in NY is only available if you've been with your employer for 1 year + 1 day.

If I may ask, is your job strenuous that you plan on taking more than 1-2 weeks off?

My job is home-based, so I only plan on taking 2 days off. With the weekend it would be 4 days before going back to work. I did let my job know that I am having surgery in case I'm not up working the following Mon/Tue.

Good Luck!

Edited by msjessy

If I may ask, is your job strenuous that you plan on taking more than 1-2 weeks off?quote]

No I am planning to take 1 1/2 weeks off. I work in a call center and just want to make sure that I am feeling up to par when I come back. FMLA is not an option because I have not been employed a year yet. I worked contract for one year and then my anniversary is 9-13. Since I have already been approved I do not want to wait until September to have the surgery. I am going to get the packet and see what it contains.