Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. not able to access port

Hi everyone, I haven't posted anything for about 30 days. I'm very frustrated because I went for my first fill on Friday 25 and the doctor was not able to access my port.:thumbup: I waited all this time for nothing. On top of that I ended up with pain. Is there anyone who had the same problem? I was referred to a different doctor were he's going to use a fluoroscope. I have an appointment tomorrow.

I was reading some of your threads about the fills, and I feel the same way. I haven't lost any weight at all. I hope after my first fill, tomorrow, I can start loosing weight. I know that the band is only a tool to help us loose weight, but I can't loose any weight if I don't have any restriction. I'll see what happens tomorrow after I get my first fill.:lol:

Hilda you poor thing how FRUSTRATING!!!!! Doesn't your doctor have a fluoroscope right in his office?

About loosing the weight in the beginning and after the first few fills you still have to diet because the band isn't really doing anything. You won't lose based just on having a band because there is no restriction. I have had 2 fills and am just starting to feel some restriction I am hoping with my 3rd next month to have a decent amount to finally feel like the band is doing it's thing. Just try to eat Protein about 4oz or so per meal then veggies or fruit. Try to eat as little carbs possible and you should see some weight lose.........best of luck tomorrow with that fill!!!!!!!!

I had my lap band surgery on Jan 31st this year. I went back to have my first fill in March and my port had come loose from my stomach wall and flipped upside down. I had to have a second surgery the next Friday.:) They went back in the same incision, but I still had to go through the blood work the day before surgery and be put to sleep etc...

Things are fine now, but last week I had to have a fill removed due to reflux etc. The doctor "thought" my port was flipped again, but the nurse was able to find the port. GOOD GRIEF!:glare:

Good luck things will work out.

Thanks NY2LAGirl! I'll get back to you tomorrow and let you know how was my first fill. I also wanted to know if you're taking any Vitamins or Protein and what kind are you taking?

I eat 3 meals a day just Cereal for Breakfast which my doctor doesn't like but it's all I can manage when I try eggs I get the golf ball thing, for lunch and dinner I have Protein either shrimp, chicken, sushi, hamburger patty stuff like that and in between meals I have a Protein Bar that is at least 19 grams of protein. I found when I didn't do this I was so starving that when it came time to eat I would eat too fast, not chew and be in pain.

As far as Vitamins I take a Centrum chewable in the am, 1 Viactiv chewable twice a day and a B-12 under the tongue once a day.

Please let me know what happens tomorrow!!!!!!

Here's my story on my first fill. Unfortunately, it was a very bad experience.

I was banded on 6/27 and was scheduled to have the fill next week but I'll be on vacation so I asked to bump it up a week. I think that was a mistake!

The nurse practitioner did the procedure. My assumption is she's done many but definately had problems with me. Why I don't know.

They had me stand up to find the port and her pushing on my stomach really hurt. She found the port with her fingers but the problems began when she couldn't find the port with the needle. The first poke hurt and the digging around definately added to pain. The bottom line is she missed the port and had to do it again. She pulled out the needle and and Fluid began leaking out from the hole. Mostly clear with with a hint of pink. Gross! After the second stick and my squirming in pain she had the doctor come in and they decided they couldn't do the fill because of the Fluid around the port. :thumbup:

How disappointed I was. Has anyone else experience this? They didn't even offer to numb the area.

It was so bad I don't even want to go back. This was my experience. I'm sure your's will be fine. My advice is to numb the area.

bombaman I can't believe these horror stories. I would demand the doctor do the next few fills preferably with a fluoroscope and not his assistant.

My doctor made me lie on the table and do a modified sit up and my port sticks out so far I could do my own fill. I never heard of doing it standing up but each doctor is different. I will say when his assistant did my second fill she wasn't as smooth and gentle as the doctor with all his experience was, she did dig more. But they both told me they won't numb patients first because it's the same pain as the fill.

Good luck with the next fill please keep us updated!

bombaman I can't believe these horror stories. I would demand the doctor do the next few fills preferably with a fluoroscope and not his assistant.

My doctor made me lie on the table and do a modified sit up and my port sticks out so far I could do my own fill. I never heard of doing it standing up but each doctor is different. I will say when his assistant did my second fill she wasn't as smooth and gentle as the doctor with all his experience was, she did dig more. But they both told me they won't numb patients first because it's the same pain as the fill.

Good luck with the next fill please keep us updated!

I'll be asking about the numbing and xray. I guess the needle sticks didn't hurt so much as the poking and prodding of the port. Obviously, something wasn't healed right or long enough. I'll go back but not without lidocane or the rub on stuff.

After having my port reversed and after a 10 month wait I had my 1st fill today. I had it under Xray and then a barium drink. I am sure the 2ml wasn`t enough as I don`t feel any different no restriction. I have to wait until the beginning of Sept for my next consultation and a 2nd fill. Luckily this is being done for free on the NHS in England.

I had my first fill yesterday, like I mentioned before my doctor was not able to access my port. I was lucky yesterday, I had my fill done under a fluoroscopy. It went great, the doctor did numbed the area. I didn't feel any pain at that time, but after I did. Anyways, my port was hard to reach, it did took the doctor about 10 min to actually get the port so she could do the fill. I got a 1.6cc. I was on liquids yesterday, today I can start with soft foods. This morning I had some cream of wheat about 3/4 of a cup because I was already full.

One of the other things I wanted to mention is what the doctor told me about fills not done under a fluroscopy, is not always accurate, sometimes the needle doesn't go inside the port and then the saline leaks. The area were the saline in inserted is about a size of a dime. That's why its better to have a fill under fluroscope.