Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell Us About You!

Melissa if you're really that scared, talk to your nurse in your surgeon's office. You do know if you are young and relatively healthy, except for obesity, that the odds of you dying are slim? You could also die tomorrow from being struck by lightning, or a bus, or a fall in the shower.

If you know all that and are still so scared, and the nurse can't soothe you, don't do it. period.

I'm 53, weighed 405, and sailed through the surgery. I didn't get the band because my liver was too fat so I'm having it AGAIN 8/29. Modern anesthesia is a marvel; I know you'll do fine. BUT if you truly deeply doubt, don't do it.

Melissa if you're really that scared, talk to your nurse in your surgeon's office. You do know if you are young and relatively healthy, except for obesity, that the odds of you dying are slim? You could also die tomorrow from being struck by lightning, or a bus, or a fall in the shower.

If you know all that and are still so scared, and the nurse can't soothe you, don't do it. period.

I'm 53, weighed 405, and sailed through the surgery. I didn't get the band because my liver was too fat so I'm having it AGAIN 8/29. Modern anesthesia is a marvel; I know you'll do fine. BUT if you truly deeply doubt, don't do it.

I think I'm scared because this is my first surgery I can remember. I had my tonsils/adnoids out when I was around 7, but don't remember it - just getting to eat lots of mashed potatos and ice cream. :banghead: So this will be the first big thing I'm going into. Two weeks ago I did my pre-op stuff and went in with 2 pages of questions to ask the everyone to help ease a bit of my nerves. It took until last monday to get a 'sign' that this is what I was needing to do, so I decided then that I needed to stick with it - but if on the day of surgery I don't feel right, I will let the surgeon know and postpone it until I get a better 'vibe' - yea, I'm one of those people. *lol*:(

Good. I was nervous when I had my gallbladder out in 2003 because to me at the time, hospitals "killed people"...LOL I'd lost my mom in 92 and my dad in 97 and except for my little sister who had babies in hospitals (babies don't count) people DIED in those places. AND my DH is a nurse and thought I was totally high maintenance hysterica. I HAD to have my GB out and found out I was so so interested in what they were doing and why and how the OR actually looked (not at ALL like on tv) and I sailed thru the surgery and anesthesia (when I came to in recovery I heard my nurse tell another nurse ...OMG she's awake already?) LOL

I was 48 and weighed 340 at the time. So I can tell you it IS scary but odds are high high you'll do well.

AND you are right. If you have a feeling of doom that day, pass. Nervous jitters...you'll do fine! :(

Hey everyone :) I'm Sandi and I just turned 31. I'm married a sailor that is 32 and has been in the Navy for 13 years. We are stationed in FL. Have three kids together :)

I have a heart condition called Cardiomyopathy and Congestive Heart Failure with SVT. I have a Biventricular pacer too. I hope to be on the heart transplant list soon :) Just need to loose these few pounds.

I am new to this site too. I was scared before surgery too but it was a breeze. I had surgery 2 days ago, Aug 22. I can wait to begin my new journey!

I am new to this site and it is great! I was banded 2 days ago on Aug 22. I live in South of New Orleans in town called Belle Chasse. I have a son who made 10 today and a wonderful husband of 15 years. After many years of fighting the battle of the bulge, I finally decided to take drastic measures and go all the way. I am excited about this new chapter in my life and can't wait to start losing more weight. I lost some during the liquid diet before surgery but haven't been on a scale yet. I started this journey at 332. Not being hungry after surgery is definately a bonus for right now because I was starving before surgery. So far, so good. No gas pains either. :)

Welcome! I can hardly wait to be banded and not hungry. I feel like I've been starving since 7/25!

My surgery date is Aug 27 and I cant wait. I decided to have this surgery a few months ago. i think having this surgery will help me improve my life and help me become more active. So far it has not been easy getting ready for the surgery. I had to go on a liquid diet for 15 days before the surgery started. It was and is the hardest thing ever. I can't get food thoughts off my mind and I don't go around anyone because they are all able to eat. i just cant wait for Wednesday. I hope after the surgery my food thoughts will stop or just not be as frequent.

Hello everyone. I am new to the site. I am Natalie and from Keller, TX. I am 31 and will be banded on Aug 27. :) I am excited, nervous, anxious, and relieved. Best wishes to everyone due to have surgery in the next few days... congrats to everyone that has been banded already...

I had the lap band surgery August 12. First two days were kind of rocky, but no problem with pain now and the incisions are healing well.

I am a school librarian and had to start back to work last week. I am kind of milking the "can't lift more than 15 pounds" just a little. I had to set up 13 new computers and made my clerk do all the heavy lifting.

I am starting back to the wellness center today--will do Water aerobics with all the other old folks.

I can now wear clothes I couldn't wear last spring which makes me feel very good. I go in for my first fill Sept 22 and wonder what that will be like.

Thank goodness for Protein Shakes. And Appleby's French Onion Soup--only 150 calories.

Hope everyone else who was banded in August is doing well. It is not just about how you look, its your health and life expectancy.

Good luck everybody.

Hi My Name is Angie I am 32 years old, I live in a rural area of San Diego. I have one 11 year old daughter, she started 7th grade today. I do accounting for a living. I am married to my high school sweetheart, him and my daughter are both thin and gourgeous. My husband can eat as much of whatever he wants and looks like he just walked out of a gym. I have been overweight since preganancy. I have also tried just about everything available to llose weight. I have no problem losing, keeping it off has always been the problem. I am hoping this is the final long term solution to my up and down battle.

Hey lolo and sd2Tx we're band buddies!! Not long now :lol:

Best wishes to both of you! It's so exciting isn't it?? :smile2: