Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP with Pre Op Bowel Cleanse...

Hello, hoping someone will answer this question for me. My mail came a lil opened last week from the doctor and I think the pre op bowel cleanse may have been in it. Are we suppose to drink the liquid all at one time or throughout the day-the day before surgery? Also they said to purchase Citrus of magnesium for this.....but I only found magnesium citrate....Is this the same thing? I a pretty sure it is....Please help, thankyou, Debbie

:teeth_smile::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::lol::thumbup::wub::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hi:

The directions should be in the bottle of citrate magnesium. If it's like a colonoscopy cleansing you take it out spread over the day. Plan on staying home for the day because you'll need to be right near the toilet once the citrate magnesium starts to work.

Good luck.

Sue

I had to take magnesium citrate as well as do the Clear Liquids the day before surgery. I know they wanted me clean, but I took the stuff and nothing happened. It wasn't really a big deal and thankfully it didn't taste too badly either. Of course I put mine in the refrigerator hoping that if it was vile, it would be better cold.

Magnesium Citrate is great! I had to take it b/c of the issues I've had in the past with my colon..Gross, I know! BUT if there is any lesson I have learned..it is...DO NOT DRINK IT BY ITSELF..Dilute it! I drank it straight one time and let me tell you...I was hurting for days! Good luck with everything!!

In my opinion, the best way to do the magnesium citrate cleanse, if your doctor orders it, is to buy the lemon flavored magnesium citrate. Mix it with lemonade, such as "Simply Lemon". You have to drink a lot of fluids with it anyway, and this kinda disguises the taste. It's very salty, so it doesn't completely hide the taste.

Another way is to put the magnesium citrate in the freezer, and then chug it down cold through a straw, immediately followed by a strong tasting chaser such as juice, lemonade, or similar.

You could also call the doctor and request the pill prep. It gets rid of the nasty taste, but you'll have to drink about a ton of liquid with it.

I get a colonoscopy about every 18 months on average, so I've done the bowel prep way too many times.

I have to drink TWO bottles of this stuff on Wednesday. Should I take off of work? Seriously. I have hardly any food in my stomach. Also, I only found the cherry kind. Is this ok, do you think? It's red. Thanks

I have to drink TWO bottles of this stuff on Wednesday. Should I take off of work? Seriously. I have hardly any food in my stomach. Also, I only found the cherry kind. Is this ok, do you think? It's red. Thanks

Two Bottles! I had to drink some junk, a gallon, for a colonoscopy and it was horrid. I would take off work. My Mom takes that stuff for hers and it works quick.

Do we all have to drink this junk? Now I am afraid :whatchutalkingabout

I know, I acutally felt guilty because I didn't have to jump through half the hoops others have. I still have to fight with getting my pre op tests, but I can see the end. Now if I just don't have to drink that horrid stuff. It wasn't that many months ago that I had that stupid test. The only good part was they put me to sleep an I awoke with a smile ready to go home.

I thought the reason for the mag cit was so that you don't "go" while in surgery, but it's to help prevent infections in the digestive tract. You are right, all surgeons are different.