Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gas pain at 2 am, Ah, sweet recovery

I am up at two am with gurgling and pressure, gas and most likely hunger pains, I guess I am just trying to get used to my body after surgery, I am 2 days post op and I think my stomach is a little confused,

just was up and thought I would share. :)

I am curious. How much pain is there the first couple days after surgery. I was tol its not to bad. I am getting banded on Aug 6 and have never had any surgery before other than a cyst removal on my ankle.

Hang in there, new2me. It will get markedly improved in the next 3 days, if your experience is anything like mine.

fleminid, expect to feel crappy for about 5 days. You may may not feel bad, though. Some band patients brag about being able to cha-cha around town the night after surgery, but that wasn't my experience.

On days 2 & 3, I was in so much pain from gas, that I got really depressed and felt I'd made a huge mistake. I tell you this, not to scare you, but just so you'll know that you might feel bad at first. (It will get better though.) I didn't feel prepared for how uncomfortable I was. Everyone seemed to think that simply taking walks would reduce the problem. I walked a lot, and I'm sorry to say that it didn't really help me.

Also, I'm not sure exactly why, but when I weighed myself the day after surgery, the scale said I weighed 7 lbs MORE than I had before surgery despite the fact that I had less than 400 calories per day. Talk about depressing! I think it must have been Fluid retention for the IV fluids, and it actually reversed and four days post surgery I had lost all of that weight and then some.

Some other things you might expect -

Engaging my abs hurt pretty bad for about a week. Getting in and out of bed was the most painful part -- especially if I didn't move slowly and carefully.

The actual incisions didn't hurt me too much. They felt like scratches, though they looked icky until the glue-like dressings came off 3 weeks later.

The Protein shakes were hard to swallow and made me super gassy. (My doc thinks I may have developed lactose intolerance because of the surgery. Apparently, it's not uncommon.) At first, it's even hard to drink Clear liquids.

I'm a perfectionist and tried so hard to do everything but the book, so I was disappointed when I felt really horrible right after surgery despite following all of the doctor's orders.

The good news is that it gets better. The first 3 days lasted forever for me, but on day four I turned a corner and felt far closer to normal. I was able to tool around down, and almost get back to life as normal. It's less than a month since my surgery, and honestly I have to think hard to even recall how horrible I felt at first.

I was kind of tired for a couple of weeks. I even took naps for the first few days after surgery. This is probably because of the anesthesia.

Good luck! You are going to be fine. Just go easy on yourself and make sure you have somebody to help you out for the first few days.

Cheers,

Eve

I was banded on July 16th. I too heard all the good things and was not prepared for what it could be like. Well my luck I had the what it could be like. I was banded on Wednesday. Friday I started the esophagus spasms that hurt really bad and my doctor called in something to calm my stomach. By the next Tuesday I went for my office visit and they even felt that maybe there was some air in the band causing me to have some retention that I was not to have yet. Tried to inject and draw out but nothng came out. On Thursday my husband took me back and I saw the doctor. He said some people have swelling and some have lots more. Seven days for everything to swell up which makes the band very tight and seven days then for the swelling to go down. Around 11:00 that night I finally got relief and started coming around. All is better until I drank something really cold today and gas is back under my shoulder and spasms or kinda coming back. Had two stressful days and I think after a day or so of rest things will finally get to where it is suppose to be. By the way 20 1/2 pounds lost from beg. of 2 week pre-opt to Thursday. I don't know anybody that had this much trouble with swelling. My friend had lap band the day before and has been working and shopping everyday since. Hang in there.

I am expecting the gas pain to be bad. the doc gave me some meds for the stomach already, as well as something else since I still have my gallblader and percoset for the pain. I was told you generally leave weighing a couple pounds more than what you went in at because of the iv fluids they pump into ya. These last couple weeks seem to be dragging by.

hello. I am in the same boat as you. Had banding on Friday

no hunger pains but gas left of the big incision is something else. Hardest part is getting in and out of the bed.... OUCH!

Stayed on liquids all day Sat.

This morning introducing some thin cream of wheat. Baby spoon and all. Wishing you a good day and less gas. I figure the next three days will be annoying with gas pains.

Walk Walk Walk.

God Belss.

~jan

mushies already ??? ... i got banded on monday the 21st and im not even progressed to mushies yet ..... per my doc im to do a week of liquids post op ..... it kills me how every doc is different .

Thanks so much to all of you who have experienced so many different things for sharing. I go in tomorrow morning for surgery. Been on shakes for 2 weeks and am doing only clears today. I'm not very nervous yet. I'm probably in denial. I just go for the moment as it comes, cause if I think about it too much I might freak out. Anyway, thanks for the cautions and the experiences. I feel much more prepared. Love to you ALL!!!

hang in there I am on liquids for 2 weeks before mushies!! haha.. 1 week seems lucky.. man I cant wait to be out of the woods with the surgery healing.. I am looking forward to feeling great! I think the hardest part is I am breastfeeding my 10 month old and I am able to get hardly any nutrients down.. so I feel crappy and hungry.. but I cant do much about it.. sigh.. I guess thats what fat stores are for! haha

I am curious. How much pain is there the first couple days after surgery. I was tol its not to bad. I am getting banded on Aug 6 and have never had any surgery before other than a cyst removal on my ankle.

Hi there,

sorry if I scared you.. first off.. everyone is different.. so you cant take other peoples recoveries and expect that it will happen to you.. I went on this site and tried to prepare myself for everything that would happen.. you are unique.. you may or may not have a hard time.. the real thing to focus on is past the first few days.. the lifetime of healthier living.. I believe in the end it is worth anything you may go through.

I have had a lot of gas pain and pressure.. so I have been trying to walk it off.. it was more pain than I thought I would have.. but it has been getting better. when I am up at 2am.. I just walk.. or wake my husband up for support.. and just wait it out till I am tired enough to fall asleep again.. its more annoying and discomfort.. its not like I am doubled over in pain. :). day 3 has been the hardest so far.. but I think its getting better.

I heard some people walk out of surgery and dont have any gas pain or discomfort at all!! lucky them!! haha. just keep remembering this is like a week of my life where I have to go through some discomfort.. but in the end it will be so much better..

hang in there.. you will do great.. make sure you have some support.. someone who will empathize with your discomfort.. a back rub and a hug go a long way. :mad2:

if it is thin or can be drunk through a straw (do not use straws) then it is okay. I can have cream of wheat thin enough to go thru a straw. and applesauce.

it did not produce any side affects.

so far so good

of course only 3 or 4 bites is all one can handle.

after two weeks we can eat reg. food

Hi there,

sorry if I scared you.. first off.. everyone is different.. so you cant take other peoples recoveries and expect that it will happen to you.. I went on this site and tried to prepare myself for everything that would happen.. you are unique.. you may or may not have a hard time.. the real thing to focus on is past the first few days.. the lifetime of healthier living.. I believe in the end it is worth anything you may go through.

I have had a lot of gas pain and pressure.. so I have been trying to walk it off.. it was more pain than I thought I would have.. but it has been getting better. when I am up at 2am.. I just walk.. or wake my husband up for support.. and just wait it out till I am tired enough to fall asleep again.. its more annoying and discomfort.. its not like I am doubled over in pain. :teeth_smile:. day 3 has been the hardest so far.. but I think its getting better.

I heard some people walk out of surgery and dont have any gas pain or discomfort at all!! lucky them!! haha. just keep remembering this is like a week of my life where I have to go through some discomfort.. but in the end it will be so much better..

hang in there.. you will do great.. make sure you have some support.. someone who will empathize with your discomfort.. a back rub and a hug go a long way. :thumbup:

You didn't scare me. I am expecting a fair amount of pain, am just hoping it is tolerable. I live alone, my best friend is taking my and bring me home, and my mother will be staying with me a few days.