Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! AM I HUNGRY or do I have cold feet?

My band date is set for August 5th, my pre op was yesterday. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Here is how my day went: I was suppose to meet my doctor for the first time after five very long months of very hard work to get all my approvals, but he double scheduled his day and I ended up seeing his nurse instead. Her first words to me were MOST ALL OF OUR PATIENTS ARE GASTRIC BYPASS PATIENTS "The lapband has a fifty percent failure rate". WE remove as many as we put in, because it does not work. We only do fills once a month, if you miss it, YOU have to wait until the next month for your next fill. YOU will not receive a small fill at surgery and your first fill will NOT be until six weeks after surgery. NO EXCEPTIONS!! <o:p></o:p>

NOW I live two and a half hours away from this doctor’s office (ONE WAY) and I do not know if I am just very sensitive and expected a more supportive staff, since they seem to be the only ones I am going to be dealing with, not a doctor, or if I am just getting cold feet. I really want this lap band and I have alllll my approvals, and that took some dedication...but I really do not like the way lap band patience are treated. I feel like they are trying to push gastric bypass surgery down my throat. This is not the first time they have tried to change my mind either. THE WORST PART TO ME IS THIS IS THE ONLY PRACTICE IN THE STATE THAT I LIVE THAT DOES THE LAPBAD...<o:p></o:p>

I am on my liquid diet...It is day four and I have ten more days to go.....AM I JUST HUNGRY and taking everything wrong OR IS THE WRITING ON THE WALL:scared2::tt2:? I forgot to mention that my hubby is military and we will move from here within the year....I do not know if I hould just have the band and put up with attitude or not have the band and wait for a docotrs office more suportative and have a better experiance?

Edited by lenore25
let something importatn out

That was very rude of the nurse to say what she said to you. It sounds like if the failure rate for their patients is that high then they are doing something wrong. Some doctors push gastric bypass because they get paid more from the insurance companies.

I think many drs prefer to do bypass because the weight loss is more. I was told to expect to lose 50% of my excess weight, possibly more, possibly less. On here though, there are people who have lost 100 lbs and more! You just have to be willing to work (exercise, go for fills, watch what you eat) for it. I believe after the initial surgery, the bypass has easier weight loss.

You have been on here, probably researched the lap band and decided it was for you. Have your surgery, begin using the tool in the correct way, go for your fills (don't miss the appts.) and do your thing. When you move, find a fill doctor in your area and keep on the program. Please don't wait if you really want this. You've already gotten the approval; you DON'T want to go through that again.

Oh, and yeah, it is much easier to get upset when you are hungry!!!! It will be over before you know it!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

I have all the confidence in the world in my dr. But I do feel like he would rather have done the bypass. I am 63, my husband was against it mainly because on my very first visit, 3 years ago, he told me that my risk was greater because of my age. That cinched it for me. I got banded on 7/1/08. My husband was supporting me and I have felt great. I think the nurse was very rude to you. Hang in there, we are all behind you.

Ladies, I can not tell you how much your support means to me!!! This web site has become my life line for sanity checks when it comes to having this procedure done! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

OHHH, I did a lot of research. GBS is just too dangerous for me. I am a mom of two beautiful boys, both under six, of which, one of my boys has autism and I have just decided that I have everything to live for. <o:p></o:p>

I do think I am a bit sensitive right now, :lol: it is just being over weight is already a sensitive issue for me; I do not need negative energy around me right now. Especially from the people that are giving me the band. I was really down the day that I posed my thread and needed some encouragement. I was seriously, almost considering backing out. <o:p></o:p>

But, I did make it through, and I have decided to stick to my liquid diet and have this band put on. <o:p></o:p>

I just really hate the fact that every month or so I am going to have to drive five hours just to deal with such dissatisfaction and aggravation. :rolleyes2:<o:p></o:p>

And yes you are right, a supportive husband is imperative right now....<o:p></o:p>

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbs_up::shades_smile::thumbs_up::teeth_smile::thumbs_up::wink_smile::thumbs_up: