Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I understand that every surgeon has their own set of rules and mine is no exception to the rule but I am still a little confused as to where I should be in the eating realm at this point. I had my banding 5/18/05 with Dr. Spivak. On my release paperwork he stated that for the first 24-48 hours to do Clear liquids then afterwards start on mushy foods the consistancy of baby food. I do not want to do anything that would jeopardize my health at this point, so I waited until one week post-op to switch to baby food consistancy. I made some chicken Soup yesterday and put it in the processor until it was moist and just like baby food, then I ate about 5oz and it was wonderful..... was this wrong? I have read everything and I am just confused as to the best way. Also, is rice milk ok to drink along with a rice Protein Powder for the Protein needed or do you guys have recommendations on drinks. Already prepared would be easier for me. I do not know what full feels like at this point because I get such bad gas with whatever I eat or drink I cannot necessarily destinguish whats what. Still in the learning curve I guess? I hope you guys do not get too frustrated with us newbies but I think one can read and understand the severity of not following instructions but also you guys have had it longer and are alot more educated with the "real world". Thanks for your understanding and help........I look forward to hearing from you.

Sherri

Sherri, every Dr. has his or her own set of post op rules, what my Dr. told me to follow post op is not the same as your Dr. but that does not make either one of them wrong, I would just stick to his instructions, that is the best thing that you can do for you and your band.

When I was allowed Protein Drinks I stayed clear from the rice Protein they were higher in carbs andweall know eating carbs crave more carbs. I am like you I needed a very quick and ready to use Protein Drink in a can, to just pop open and drink. My preference was the Atkins Advantage chocolate flavor, those are the ones I drank. We all have our favorite protein drinks and you will get many different opinions on this.

As far as the gas, it takes some time to get rid of all of it, it was about 3 weeks for me. It sounds l;ike you are doing everything right per your Dr.'s instructions, I would not worry that you are doing anything wrong, I know it is normal to worry, I think when all of us were newbies we all had the same fears.

Good Luck to you :(

You sound like you're doing the right thing. I was too frustrated with all the different opinions, so I kinda made my own set of rules. I took what all the doctors said, then I added what everyone here said. Then I listened to my own body and kinda tossed it all around and came up with a sensible plan special for me. I never ate anything I wasn't supposed to, but I did switch to thick liquids a day sooner than I should have. However, the Mexican hospital served thick applejuice, the consistency of applesauce, the day after my surgery. I pointed out to my surgeon that it was thick and not clear, and he said that's no problem. So if I could drink applesauce, I didn't see a problem with having cream Soup a day early.

Putting soup in a blender slides right through the band (I did the same thing then gave the bits to my pets as I ate the soup.)

Congrads to you.

i was allowed full liquids the day after surgery and was told to continue that for 2 weeks and then on to mushy..i did go to mushies a little early .. i just couldnt take any more yogurt and soup... it is funny how every doctor is different...i would listen to your doctor that is what i did.

I was banded on 5/19 so I'm right where you are. I was told to stay on liquids for two weeks....anything that will go through a straw...but do not use the straw since it produces more gas (which I surely do NOT need). I start to feel uncomfortable after almost anything I drink...I do find that I am starting to get hungrier now that I am one-week post-op. I look forward to going onto mushies in a week....in fact I can't wait.