Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New here, in need of Pre-Op diet HELP!!

Hi there,

My name is Judie (from AZ) and I will be banded on the 12th, and I am on a liquid only pre-op diet that is soooooo disgusting! I have not yet found a way to make this nasty Protein Powder taste remotely tolerable.....I hate to complain because in the end, I know that this is a good thing to do, but the next 2 weeks is looking really bleak. I have to basically choke it down, a little at a time. I can have a serving of natural applesauce, V-8, clear broth, sf Jello and sf ff pudding. The vanilla powder that I have leaves a weird bitter aftertaste in my mouth also. Any suggestions to make this experience a little better would be much appreciated.

Anyone else from AZ? Have Dr. Simpson? Just wondering, Im kinda nervous but excited already. I just want to get it over with.

I hope to make some new friends here to be able to share this experience with.

All the best wishes,

Judie

I just got some tasteless Protein powder today and used it to make a smoothie. No aftertastle, just slightly grainy, but I can live with that. The stuff i purchased was unflavored whey Protein and I got is on Amazon for $20. You can mix it in with practically anything!!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=whey+protein+unflavored&x=0&y=0]Amazon.com: whey protein unflavored[/ame]

Good luck!

Hi Marie,

Which brand did you get? I am looking at the website now.

Thanks,

Judie

Judie,

If you get in a pinch and simply cannot find something that works for you, Slimfast has a low-carb shake that is "legal." The chocolate is much more tolerable than the powders I've tried. You might also want to get a few fruitier powders, like the nectar stuff, and mix it in with crystal light. I've found that to work better than a shake too. Make sure you invest in a good shaker bottle! I have a Blender Bottle (brand) and it's super!

You can buy just samples of things at www.vitalady.com. The samples might seem a more expensive way to go, but it's worth it to not spend a slew of money on an entire tub of something that you end up hating! I really enjoyed the ProBlend 55 chocolate in skim milk, but not so much the vanilla. I've discovered that pretty much all vanillas for me have to be "hidden" in something like oats or applesauce.

Good luck!

I'm also on the pre-op liquid diet (banding Aug 6) and have some recipes that might help...

Protein Dreamsicle -

Vanilla Protein Powder with 8 oz of any of the following liquids - sugar free tang, Orange Crystal Lite or flat (open the bottle or can of soda and store in the fridge overnight to remove the carbination) Diet Orange Soda

Protein Colada -

Vanilla Protein Powder with 8 oz non-fat milk and 2 drops each of Imitation pineapple Extract and Imitation Coconut Extracts (+ / - extracts to taste)

Protein Root Beer Float -

Vanilla protein powder with 8 oz flat Diet Root Beer

Protein Mocha -

Vanilla protein powder with 8 oz Decaf coffee or 4 oz non-fat milk and 4 oz decaf coffee

I like the drinks sort of icy so I always add 3-4 ice cubes (with alittle less liquid). Also, I've been using our 'Magic Bullet' blender (the small blenders with individual cups they advertise on the late night infomercials) and it really works great to disolve the powder and crush the ice.

Best luck and happy losing

Thanks you guys! I really appreciate it.

Hugs,

Judie

I like the carnation no sugar added and the lean body shakes. A girl at work likes the champion brand..she puts the vanilla in hot Water w/the apple cider no sugar packets and has it as a hot drink to sip. It does taste good.

Edited by fleminld

adding ice and drinking the shake super cold helps. s does drinking through a straw. (for some reason, the smell of the Protein drink get to me more than the taste.)

i'm liking the plain unjury powder -- no taste at all.

I'm with Kristen on the smell thing :mad2:

I actually keep a travel mug in the fridge and drink the shakes supercold while the lid keeps me from smelling the stuff. My mom hunted high and low and found me the old-fashioned kind of sippie cup that has a top like a travel mug for when I will be drinking waaaaaayyyyy smaller portions at a time.

How come all of the cups today have knobs that kids seem to suck on instead of flow control inset lids like they did back when. How does this teach them to drink from a cup and not get a nose full? Seems like the kind they have these days is pretty much a bottle with a hard nipple, no? Someone with little ones please explain :)

p.s.

Don't get too attached to that straw. It's a super no-no once you have a band.

Thank you Ladies, for the replies. I ended up taking the nasty GNC Protein back ($50 bucks worth of YUCK!) and I purchased the unflavored powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury online. In the meantime, I am drinking the Slim Fast Low Carb shakes until I get the Unjury. I hope that this new stuff will be better.

Judie

I love the Unjury unflavored. It is not bad at all and you can add it to almost anything! I use it to make smoothies with FF yogurt and fruit, I add ice and blend, yum!

Hi Kristen,

I am glad to hear that the unjury unflavored is ok, I just wish I could have fruit to add to the shakes......my doctors office said no fruit. I bet it your smoothie is really good. **sigh**

Judie

Judie~

Could you add some crystal light for flavor? That might be good, hmm, maybe I will go give it a try. What about adding the unflavored powder to your pudding? Just some suggestions.

I don't have to do liquids before surgery - but I know I will be looking for some creative ways to get through the liquid phase after the 5th!

I just got an email that Bariatric Eating is having a good sale on the Bullets. I've never tried them so I'm going to head out to GNC or somewhere like that to give them a try before I buy a bunch. I hear that they are really good and taste like liquid jello! I bought a bunch of samples from them a few weeks ago and the customer service has been great. www.bariatriceating.com