Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why NOT to choose Gastric Sleeve

If you are extremely overweight, there are various medical procedures that can help you lose the excess weight. Some of them include a gastric bypass, lap-band, and a gastric sleeve operation. The sleeve procedure removes a large portion of your stomach and converts it into a tube. There are numerous disadvantages of this procedure. This article will discuss the disadvantages of a gastric sleeve operation.

Irreversible

One of the first disadvantages of a gastric sleeve is that the procedure is irreversible. Unlike gastric bypass surgery, over 60 percent of your stomach is permanently removed and can't be reversed. However, a gastric sleeve procedure can be converted to other Snacks and foods with a lot of calories can make the procedure virtually ineffective. Also, patients who have a higher body mass index will usually have to have a second procedure to help lose more weight.

Stretching

Stretching of the gastric sleeve is yet another disadvantage. Your stomach tube may stretch out after awhile and cause you to regain any weight you may have already lost. A gastric sleeve doesn't have any devices to prevent it from stretching over time or to reduce its size after it has already stretched out.

Insurance

One of the last disadvantage of a gastric sleeve operation has to do with insurance. This procedure is rarely a covered benefit of most insurance companies because they consider it to be experimental. This means that the company likely won't pay for the procedure so you would have to pay for it yourself. At an average price of $8,000, this is out of range for most people.

whole post

If you are going to post the disadvantages, why not also post the advantages? Not to mention, if you are going to copy an entire post from another board, you should really give the author credit and provide a link.

Btw, the chance of getting a leak is less than the chance of a band erodiing (and drastically less than a band slipping).

Also, the information on weight loss and stretching is incorrect. Weight loss with a sleeve is about the same as with RnY and more than with a band on average in the first 3 years. The part of the stomach that remains is not very stretchy and patients tracked for 5 years have shown no significant stretching. The sleeve stretches slightly the first year and then holds.

What a way to use your first post.

It's stupid to come here and downgrade other people's surgeries. Even if we are for the band we know others with other surgeries.

I have to agree with Mac though.

You made the gastric sleeve procedure sound so negative. The different weight loss surgeries work for different people. Everyone is different. Everyone needs to look at the negatives and positives before having ANY surgery. But to post something like this only gives people a negative view. Let's try to look at the positives for some people as well.

skeyethelimit

I would be interested to know which surgery you have had.

If you are extremely overweight, there are various medical procedures that can help you lose the excess weight. Some of them include a gastric bypass, lap-band, and a gastric sleeve operation. The sleeve procedure removes a large portion of your stomach and converts it into a tube. There are numerous disadvantages of this procedure. This article will discuss the disadvantages of a gastric sleeve operation.

Irreversible

One of the first disadvantages of a gastric sleeve is that the procedure is irreversible. Unlike gastric bypass surgery, over 60 percent of your stomach is permanently removed and can't be reversed. However, a gastric sleeve procedure can be converted to other weight loss procedures.

Leaking

A gastric sleeve operation requires staples to be inserted into the stomach. There is always a chance that a leak may occur. These leaking fluids frequently become infected after they leak out of the stomach and can cause serious health problems.

Weight

Another disadvantage is that this procedure does not always produce the weight loss that you may expect. It is also possible to regain lost weight with a gastric sleeve. Snacks and foods with a lot of calories can make the procedure virtually ineffective. Also, patients who have a higher body mass index will usually have to have a second procedure to help lose more weight.

Stretching

Stretching of the gastric sleeve is yet another disadvantage. Your stomach tube may stretch out after awhile and cause you to regain any weight you may have already lost. A gastric sleeve doesn't have any devices to prevent it from stretching over time or to reduce its size after it has already stretched out.

Insurance

One of the last disadvantage of a gastric sleeve operation has to do with insurance. This procedure is rarely a covered benefit of most insurance companies because they consider it to be experimental. This means that the company likely won't pay for the procedure so you would have to pay for it yourself. At an average price of $8,000, this is out of range for most people.

Oh my, so much misinformation! Some of your information is based on the technique used 40 years ago.

Irreversible... I'm not so sure this is a disadvantage. Might you enlighten me on why I would want to regain 130#? Why would you want to reverse the band? The only reason to remove a band is if the band itself is causing you problems. I kinda consider having to remove your band a disadvantage. ;o)

Leaking: It is NOT accurate to say there are OFTEN infections (staples). This is why you need the best of the best surgeon. There are only about 50 surgeons WORLD wide that do this procedure well. Meaning, that have done at least 200 sleeves and have fantastic stats. If you go to a crappy surgeon your odds are not great. Bypass requires staples too and an interrupted staple line, harder than a sleeve. With a sleeve you can oversew the staple line and with bypass you can't. So the leak stats are better with a sleeve than bypass and even with bypass "infections" due to a leaking staple line are rare. You have some seriously inaccurate information there, dude. I'll bet you that infections from a leaking staple line are fewer in number than an eroded band.

My surgeon has done over 300 sleeves and has never had a leak or major complication. So do tell, what is often?

Weight loss: Again, you have some outdated and incorrect information.

Bands: 1-2 pounds weekly

Sleeves: 2-3 pounds weekly

Bands: You will lose about 50-70% of your excess weight

Sleeves: You will lose about 70-80% of your excess weight

5 year stats show that sleeves and bypass have about the same weight loss, bands show a lower weight loss.

Stretching: Wow... wrong info again. About 40 years ago they saved a more elastic portion of your stomach and stretching did occur. Lucky for us it's 38 years later and science has come a long way. Today a more muscular portion of the stomach is saved and according to 5 year stats, it's not stretching. With banding and bypass the more elastic portion of the stomach is used to hold food and it does stretch. The sleeved stomach does not stretch beyond what is anticipated during surgery. Your sleeved stomach will hold about 2oz out of surgery and it will stretch to its maximum capacity of 8oz within months.

Insurance: You are correct (finally). Most insurance does not pay for sleeves however there is a way around this if insurance covers bypass or DS. You are wrong about the fee being $8K, maybe that was true in the 1970s but it's not true today. In Mexico it is $9500 and in the states it's around $20K for a good surgeon. (Crappy surgeons aside) With that said, most people do not have ANY WLS coverage in the US sooooo, your point? It's okay to pay $7K (in Mexico) for a band or $14K (in the US) but it's not okay to pay $9500 for a sleeve in Mexico? Really?

It pays to get medical information from the same century being referred to today. ;o)

Seriously, why would you create an account to post this one article that is so outdated it's not even accurate? A doctor that doesn't want to lose band business today? A banded person that wants to show their procedure is better than any other? I don't get it, enlighten me please.

You're information is vetry slanted, are you employed by a lap band company? Frankly if I had it to do over again I would choose the sleeve.

My surgeon does the RNY, band, and the sleeve. I think that when an individual is dedicated to have a WLS procedure, they generally research the procedure, I know I sure have. I know that the RNY is not for me because of rearranging of sm intest, too invasive and also malabsorption, as one gets older this surgical procedure concerns me since elderly are already prone for malnutrition.

The band is restrictive and since my main problem is the amt of food I consume, I read on the band and found that it would probably benefit me the most because of the type of over eater I am. I liked that it is adjustable. I am not with out fear because of the opening (stoma) is about the size of a dime, scares me about obstruction.

The sleeve I like because even though most of the stomach is taken away, you don't have to worry about malabsorption and the wt loss is almost as well as with the rny. Also, my insurance still lists the sleeve as experimental and will not cover it.

I will be getting banded as soon as my approval comes through b/c I can not afford self pay.

I submitted the paper work on 7/7/08, and the contacted my surgeons office needing more on th supervised diet. So I took some info I had from my PCP and one of the wt loss clinics to the surgeons office today. Fingers crossed I will be approved the first of next week. I have Highmark BCBS.

Edited by nursenky9
It is an individual choice a lifestyle change. Regardless, of the type of WLS we should all be supportive of one another.

Btw, for those who are interested, here is where the first post was copied from:

Five Disadvantages of a Gastric Sleeve Operation - Associated Content

The same guy also has 5 Advantages of Gastric Sleeve and it's information also somewhat out of date. The amount of stomach that is removed is more than 60% and the EWL is higher too (because they make the stomach smaller than they used to):

Advantages of a Gastric Sleeve - Associated Content

I would personally choose a band again five times over and I still consider that post terribly biased, negative and misleading. There are disadvantages of ALL weight loss surgeries - the only completely safe thing to do is nothing - afterall there's only one disadvatage in that - staying fat!

Why cant people accept that different surgeries are appropriate for different people? The sleeve isnt better than the band for everyone and the band isnt better than the sleeve for everyone.

Mac, what does EWL stand for? I keep seeing it and can only assume that the WL stands for weight loss, but for the life of me can't guess the E part.

Isn't it nice that we live in this day and age where we have choices of which surgery we want? There are advantages and disadvantages to any WLS. Although for the life of me, I don't see any disadvantage of the sleeve other than I will still be able to eat ice cream, lol.

Mac, what does EWL stand for? I keep seeing it and can only assume that the WL stands for weight loss, but for the life of me can't guess the E part.

Isn't it nice that we live in this day and age where we have choices of which surgery we want? There are advantages and disadvantages to any WLS. Although for the life of me, I don't see any disadvantage of the sleeve other than I will still be able to eat ice cream, lol.

Estimated Weight Loss. ;o)

Irreversible

One of the first disadvantages of a gastric sleeve is that the procedure is irreversible. Unlike gastric bypass surgery, over 60 percent of your stomach is permanently removed and can't be reversed. However, a gastric sleeve procedure can be converted to other weight loss procedures.

Leaking

A gastric sleeve operation requires staples to be inserted into the stomach. There is always a chance that a leak may occur. These leaking fluids frequently become infected after they leak out of the stomach and can cause serious health problems.

Weight

Another disadvantage is that this procedure does not always produce the weight loss that you may expect. It is also possible to regain lost weight with a gastric sleeve. Snacks and foods with a lot of calories can make the procedure virtually ineffective. Also, patients who have a higher body mass index will usually have to have a second procedure to help lose more weight.

Stretching

Insurance

Do you work for a surgeon that is unable to do the VSG procedure and is losing money to surgeons who can? What are your qualifications? Have you had any kind of weight loss surgery?

For a first post, I can't see any value in the information you've presented here. Would you like to answer the questions posed of you? I early await your reply.

Estimated Weight Loss. ;o)

Actually, it's "excess" weight loss. :)