Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All

I have one more appointment on the 11th of Aug. til I can schedule my surgery. I am nervous and want to know of any possitive or negative symptoms any of you have had.

Can you eat anything after? Any trouble with lettuce, popcorn, or meat?

Do you have a lot of excess skin after?

Would you do it all over again?

Do you regret it?

Any additional info is greatly appreciated. Thank you:tongue:

Hi, welcome to LBT! First of all, I must warn you----if you get 10 responses, they are likely to all be different as to what each person can tolerate, or what they choose to eat! This is very individual in how it affects you. Along with that, some of the things you hear you will not be able to eat--will sound very drastic---but in the end your tastes end up changing and it is not any longer something you crave. That is a hard thing to describe, and I remember it was even harder to believe when I was pre op!!

Can you eat anything after? Any trouble with lettuce, popcorn, or meat?

As you know I am sure, you will be on a fairly strict post op diet for probably at least a couple of weeks. This is to give your stomach a chance to heal, and the band a chance to set into place properly. So I will answer this question, assuming that you meant after you heal and get moved on to a regular diet.

Personally I can eat anything. Some I can eat much easier than others! I eat a lot of salad, without issue----I have to be more careful with spinach leaves, they are harder for me to chew well, and chewing is key with any of it. Especially meat---you MUST have small bites chewed well, so it will fit through the small opening after you acheive restriction through fills. I eat popcorn--I do best with it when it is very fresh, and crisp----if it is at all stale, it tends to mash as opposed to chew up. Pasta and bread are the hardest for me, I have to eat them slowly, and with other items, and I can only fit a small amount in, they seem to swell after you eat them. But as I said above---over time my desire for either of these things has seriously dwindled. They are no longer my favorites.

Do you have a lot of excess skin after?

I had excess skin. Not everywhere so badly. My butt and legs did ok. But even when I had lost most of my weight, I still had excess fat and skin in my belly, that just would not budge! I had a Tummy Tuck 2 months ago. I do have upper arms that I am not in love with--but I can deal with them!! I began the process in a size 22/24, and am now in an 8/10. Even excess skin, to me was better than having the skin full of fat underneath it!! Insurance covered my TT so I went for it!

Would you do it all over again?

In a heartbeat!!! My biggest wish is that it had been available to me years ago! I would not hesitate to take my own daughter or mother if they were to need WLS. It gave me my life back, and control back in that life.

Do you regret it?

I regret that I let myself get to the point I was of needing WLS. But I regret nothing about the surgery.

Any additional info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

The band will not lose the weight for you, but it will make it possible for you to lose it. It is something you will have to make a decision to work with it, and work with your Dr. to find a good level of restriction. But it allows you to live a totally normal life, and with the help of the band, you can learn to eat healthy, and discover normal portion size. There are times it is seriously hard work---but it is well worth it!!!

Kat

Kat, as someone soon to undergo the surgery myself, reading your response to Newbie was inspiring, comforting AND educational! Congratulations on your incredible success!! You have done so very well with your band. I'm certain that as we go through our healing stage and get into the solid food experimentation, there is going to be a lot of excitement and anticipation. I think discovering the foods that work well and those that don't is going to be a very freeing experience... all of it is just SO exciting!

Newbie - I had also heard that popcorn, steak and pizza were out, but the more I read and the more folks I talk to, it truly does seem that absolutely everyone is different. Just like Kat says. I think we all find our own way and make our own peace with food as we do it.

Kat - I have another question for you - some have said that when it comes to the carbonation issue, if you let soda and beer go completely flat that it is OK (which kind of makes me think "what's the point then?") What's your take on that?

Thanks a million for sharing your experience and advice!

Stace:biggrin2:

Carbonation is one of those things that each Dr. seems to have their own guidelines on. My Dr. and I had a talk about it during my 2nd fill, and he told me it was strictly up to the patient at that point, whether they felt they could keep it in moderation. Soda is one of those things that people seem to do all or nothing with. He said if I could not limit myself to the occasion treat of a Coke, then to avoid them completely. He of course went on to tell me that there is zero nutritional content in them, and that even diet sodas have high sodium!!!

Do I ever drink carbonated drinks----yes but very rarely. For the most part, I drink Water or iced tea. Some slushy crystal light as well. There are times I WANT the carbonation, and I will pour myself a diet Dr. Pepper--but usually a few sips and I am over it!

My first encounter with carbonation was accidental. I had decided I would just totally avoid it. I had taken my granddaughter and a friend to a fast food place to have lunch and play indoors on the play area. She had a Dr. Pepper on the table, and I had Water. I happened to grab the wrong cup and take a drink. I kept waiting for pain....and nothing!!

Anyway.....ask your Dr. what his/her stance is on it, and go from there. I have never let it go completely flat----I do however make sure it is over ice, and never straight from the bottle or can---it is waaaaaay too fizzy then!

I have been totally unfilled for over 2 months now. I had the unfill done on my surgeons requirements before my Tummy Tuck. I have not reverted to old habits, I am proud of what I have learned with my band. That is not to say I always eat right---but I am now thinking about food, as much for fuel for my body as for taste. Used to be I would be planning dinner as I ate Breakfast, I thought about food non stop! And my portion size was huge!!! Now I do my best to eat just enough. Enough to keep my nutrition up. I try to make it yummy food--but not useless calories, and carbs. If I eat too many carbs I am hit with cravings for more about 2 hours later! So while I do still eat them, when the cravings hit, I know what is happening so I try to go walk or clean the kitchen, anything to avoid an unnecessary meal. I have never been so in tune with my body, while not focussing 100% on it. I have learned a lot with my band. It has allowed me to succeed even without a fill in. If I ever feel myself backsliding I will re fill in a second!!!!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!!!!

Kat

Darlin' Kat - you are an inspiration!!

Thank you hardly seems enough... I can not tell you how much I appreciate your advice and assistance. And, I hope you don't mind, but I have sent you a "friend" request. I think having you in my corner would be one of the biggest support systems I could ever hope to find!

Thank again - and again, congratulations on your AMAZING success!

xox

Stace:biggrin2:

Kat,

You should make your photo into a poster - inspirational kind! You are where I want to be.

I can see that it took you awhile to get there, and that is also encouraging.

Littlemissband,

I'm only three days post-op, so I'm certainly not one to tell you how this all turns out for me, but I can tell you that I am so excited to have reached this point in the journey!

I have had some gas pain...quite uncomfortable, but not intolerable. Walking helps, as does sitting up as straight as possible.

I took one pain pill the night of surgery, before bed, and that is all I've needed.

I have not been able to eat everything that is on my doctor's recommended list for a full liquid diet yet. I'm not too concerned about that, and am concentrating on fluids. I figure the rest will come.

I know a lot more people who have been successful with a lap band than I do those who had bypass. One theory I have is that the band MAKES you come to terms with your relationship with food - and solving those issues is a big part of success, I think. It is/will be for me.

No no no!!!! No poster size pics of me anywhere!!!!

Actually though that picture is a crop of one I actually liked, it was caught off guard----my DH took it as my grandson took his first steps from me to his Daddy. I looked up ecstatically to see if my DH got his picture, and he got mine. The smile is totally genuine-----I am not one who usually can do that---I always look fake and in more pain than anything!!! LOL

I lost the biggest part of my weight in the first year. Spent the second year going much slower, and maintaining a lot of the time---but it was such an encouragement to me, to be able to eat at will---the foods I chose, and NOT regain weight!!! Then once the weight basically stabalized for several months---I scheduled my TT, which was done in May. Since then, the weight has again stalled. MY fault, I need to keep in mind, that I weigh less, if I want to lose, I need to eat less----I am currently eating at a rate that my weight is stable----but not eliminating enough calories either through diet or exercise to drop the last 10-15 pounds. I have become very complacent......but I know eventually I will find the gumption to get the last of it off!!!

Kat