Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did you tell people?

Did you tell people that you were having the lap band inserted?

I am still in 2 minds about whether I want people to know (other than my husband and my parents) :)

I don't want to be put under extra pressure. If people know then I guess they would be at me to know how much I have lost (or not lost) each time they saw me. I give myself enough stress, I don't need the extra help- iykwim

If you haven't told anyone, how did you go about getting time off work? My issue is I am about to start a new job in 2 weeks and I would feel awful if I straight away had to ask for time off.

What did you do?

Hey!

I have chosen to tell as few peope as possible the only person that know about it at the moment is my sister. I did bring it up with my mother, but she was having none of it. Which really upset me that she doesnt support what i am doing. I wasnt not going to tell her that im getting it done...but i have now changed my mind. Regardless she will not get me to change my mind....i have to do this for me!

Other than my mum and sis...i dont personally think its anyones business, unless i choose to tell them later on.

i told work that i was booking/taking my annual holiday leave....again, they dont need to know what you are going to do, unless you decide to tell them...

wish you all the best :)

Did you tell people that you were having the lap band inserted?

I am still in 2 minds about whether I want people to know (other than my husband and my parents) :)

I don't want to be put under extra pressure. If people know then I guess they would be at me to know how much I have lost (or not lost) each time they saw me. I give myself enough stress, I don't need the extra help- iykwim

If you haven't told anyone, how did you go about getting time off work? My issue is I am about to start a new job in 2 weeks and I would feel awful if I straight away had to ask for time off.

What did you do?

I told everyone, family,friends, co workers. I am excited to be getting it done and to finally get rid of this weight for good. I also have the view of it is my my body my choice and I make it clear to people that if you don't like it to bad. I have been lucky though that no one has been rude to me about getting it. I had no issues with getting my time off. I would suggest be honest with your job. Better to be honest than to lie and get caught later on risking your job.

Nickers, when you start the job, speak to your new boss and inform them you will be needing time off for surgery, that you were not expecting to be given a date for at least a year, but you have suddenly been given one for X date and will need to take YYY much time off. They do not need to know what its for, but if you say its non-life threatening surgery they have to give you that time.

As for telling people. Yep, I tell anyone who will listen. First of all its a person's right to tell or not. I choose to tell. For me personally, I believe in educating people about issues, such as weight and options out there. I've had nothing but support from family, friends, work mates and even the parents of the children I work with (I'm a child care worker). Nothing anybody says could change my mind anyway.

It is right for me to tell people, that's who I am. I'm pretty open and honest about everything in my life. For someone who is more private, then it wouldn't be right to talk to people, so I'd say not too. How many people go around telling others they've had their hemoirrhoids removed? Not many, but its a great bloody relief, I can tell you! lol

I know lots of people are going to ask me how I'm going and if I've lost any weight yet. But I don't see that as pressure, I see that as them taking a genuine interest in me and how I'm doing. As for people asking "Should you be eating that?" Well, all I can say is this is a learning curve for most people. Its amazing how many people don't know this exists. Unless its part of their life, they don't really know, so I'm going to get the traditional dieting questions. I'm just ready with the information I need to be passing on. As I said, I like to educate people. For anyone who would see it as pressure or stress, then I'd say don't tell.

I'm with Sunnywyse. Just do exactly as she says re: getting time off from work. You'll probably only need about 3-4 days at most - so it shouldn't be a big deal for your new job.

As for telling people, I have only told my husband and sisters. I wasn't all that big but after a lifetime of weightloss efforts (have lost up to 40kg by myself, then put 25 kg back on) I felt I needed it. I also had medical reasons to have it. But I knew a lot of people would be very judgemental about me doing it so I've kept it to myself.

It really is a very personal decision. It is great if you are comfortable to talk about it - but if you aren't, you can keep it to yourself. Your call!!! :biggrin2:

I was in 2 minds also. At first I only told my family, but at work we always had morning teas, lunch out and afternoon tea. I wanted them to stop asking me to eat cakes and things. I also did not want them to think becasue I said no to going out for lunch that it was not a personal reason. Some people thought at first, that is why I stopped going to lunch with them. So after much debate I told them. I was very surprised at the help i got. No one pressure me to eat, and they all started bringing healthy things to work. They even offer to walk with me at lunch.

I wish I told them from the start it would have saved me from hiddening and thinking up excuses for not going out and eating the food.

I tell anyone who seems remotely interested :thumbup: I haven't quite gotten to the point of stopping strangers on the street and telling them, but I've been tempted! LOL! I like educating people about what it means, how it works, why it was necessary for me, plus I'm just so excited about this journey and a very open person anyway, so there's no way I could have kept my big mouth shut :crying:

Hey Fanny, I'm with you! lol I tell people way too much at times. I have a saying - if you want to keep a secret and never be blackmailed, either tell no-one or tell everyone - I can't possibly tell no-one, so I'm left with telling everyone.

Hi Nickers, I have only told a selected few. I was lucky enough to have my band done on Thursday 7/8/08 (12 days ago) I was concerned, as you are, about telling my boss and work mates so I told a white lie :blink: I told them I was having a gastric hernia done so that got me through. The other good thing is the Medical certificate dosn't state what you have done, so that was a help also. Good luck with it all and I am sure as time goes by you will want to tell the world it was the best choice that all LAPBANDERS could have made. :biggrin: :thumbup:

When I first got my referral for the surgery, I wanted to keep it as quiet as possible, and told very few people. Then as time went by, I actually became more confident about my decision, and my ability to defend my reasons for doing it (if I needed to). I've never been one to shrink from a good argument, so figured WTH, I'll not hide it anymore.

And I haven't. I tell anyone who comments on the weight I've lost (even when on my pre-op diet), or anyone who asks why I haven't been at work, and so far haven't really had any really negative comments at all.

In fact, the fact that I've already lost a noticeable amount has helped me over the 'hump' of people's expectations, I think. And it means I can come and go for Dr's appointments without hiding what I'm doing.

my plans were to tell no one, except for my parents who helped pay for the surgery (and are very supportive) and their neighbour (who also got it done) and my boyfriend. I ended up telling a housemate of mine, who told a few other people (aaarg) and i had to tell my boss, and a co-worker, and another co-worker, and my bf's friend, and his gf, and another couple of guy friends, and my sister, and a couple of my msn buddies...LOL!! so yeah, alot of people know....but not everyone. i havent told extended family and im not planning to tell them, i also havent told alot of family friends and i wont either.

My whole family knows and have been really supportive! I have also told a few of my close friends who have also been great!

My main people I didn't want to know was my work collegues because I know a few can be judgemental and I really don't want to get into it with them. Only one collegue knows (I told her because I beleived she would be supportive and I trusted her to keep it quiet! so far so good!)

WOOOHOOOOOOO!!!! Go the Kookaburra's!! They're on fire!! (sorry watching the hockey :angry: )

I told people (I ended up telling Australia! LOL).

I am glad I did. I never shocked anyone with what I did. I found people to be fairly supportive.

I haven't even told my kids-22 & 26 just hubby. However this nearly backfired as I was admitted with a serious infection at my port site. I felt I was going to die and then I felt guilty as I hadn't told my kids. Hubby says not to tell them. He told them the past 5 days I was at a conference! I feel like s... not happy :)