Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days post op and now the hunger kicks in!!!!!!

Hi All

I have been doing so well, one of the lucky ones to have no gas pains and my wounds are healing well etc but just last 2 days I have been soooooo hungry and yet I still have 2 more weeks of full liquids to go. I know they are hunger pains because it feels exactly like the hungry tummy you get before I had lapband and felt hungry. I am eating the following (please tell me if it is not enough or any other advice to help me)

Breakfast - 200ml Protein Drink

lunch - Soup (just a small bowl - assorted flavours).

dinner - Soup or a fruit smoothie

Snacks - Water, apple juice, jelly, occasionally a low fat scoop of icecream

I dont have my first fill until 7 weeks time.

I have lost 7 kilo's approx 15 pounds over the past 8 days so am happy with that but just need to find a balance with this hunger I have had the past couple of days. Any comments, thoughts appreciated.

Hi,

This doesn't seem very much to me.

I too am 8 days post band, and was told to eat pureed food for 1 - 2 weeks, then 'small lumps'.

I have about 3 tablespoons of porridge in the morning, yogurt for a snack. Cottage cheese for lunch, about 3 tablespoons, and soft fruit for afternnon snack. I plan to have steamed salmon and a very small amount of mashed potatoes for dinner.< /p>

I suppose all surgeons or dieticians have different ideas. Maybe give yours a call. Drink plenty of fluids too.

Good luck.

My food plan advised soft food from the get go, I had very soft mashed potato and mashed veg, youghurt basically anything soft. Speak to your doctor is the best bet see if he is happy for you to have some mash or what have you hope you feel better soon :)

K X

Hi,

This doesn't seem very much to me.

I too am 8 days post band, and was told to eat pureed food for 1 - 2 weeks, then 'small lumps'.

I have about 3 tablespoons of porridge in the morning, yogurt for a snack. Cottage cheese for lunch, about 3 tablespoons, and soft fruit for afternnon snack. I plan to have steamed salmon and a very small amount of mashed potatoes for dinner.< /p>

I suppose all surgeons or dieticians have different ideas. Maybe give yours a call. Drink plenty of fluids too.

Good luck.

Hi Simba, you have me worried as I am about to get my op (Sept 4) with Dr Wilkinson and have been told the same as you about the liquids. The diet you mentioned is what I had planned out for myself for the first 2 weeks post op. Then I was told I'd be eating mushies for 6-8 weeks gradually adding lumpier stuff! I read on here that there was a lady who used imagery to beat the hungries, she imagined that her body was hungry eating her fat bum and belly. Whatever works for you! Good Luck and if your doc has some more advice for you, I'd be interested to know! I'm in Launceston, what part of Tassy are you?

I agree with the other posters...you are not eating very much! My surgeon advises 24 ounces of Protein Drinks, spread throughout the day, plus 5 ounces of other soft foods...cereal, Soup, yogurt, plus at least 64 ounces of Water or caffiene free liquids.

I suggest you check with your surgeon and see how much he wants you to have.

Thanks everybody for those suggestions. I will up my Fluid intake, perhaps another Protein type drink at dinner would be good. I spoke to my surgeon a couple of days ago and this is when he advised 2 more weeks of full liquids then progressing to some of the other food you mentioned from the week 3/4 mark. I was a big Water drinker before the op and havent been drinking that much so I will get stuck back into it.

Hi Bluezbandit, I too had Dr Wilkinson, a marvellous surgeon who I now believe has performed over 2000 of these operations and is one of the best in Australia so you are definitley in great hands. As you probably already know he is not overly friendly, fairly quiet and straight to the point but my own GP/Nurse are very impressed with my incisions, very neat and tidy they said and not overly big at all. He does recommend 3-4 weeks on full liquids then slowly progressing to mushies/solids by week 8 which I believe is a little stricter than some others in Australia. My anethesist was a Dr Ottoway who was soooo lovely, very nice man so hopefully you may get him too. I am in Launceston so if you want any more info let me know, more than happy to answer your questions. Take care Sim :)

You need a 'liquid' with more body to it. After my surgery (July 2007) I bought the Campbell Chunky Soups and ran them through the blender. Especially the ones with beef are really delicious and whip into something like a bisque when you puree them. I had an easy beginning, have had three fills and am down 88 lbs. Very happy I went for the lapband.

Shir2Bthin

7_5_142.gifHi Simba, you sound just like I was. My Dr. told me to drink as much as I needed to. Not to worry about weight gain during this time. I did'nt gain any, I lost. One thing that helped me was I would take regular Soups blend them with extra broth. It was really thin, but it filled me up longer. You want it as thin as you can get it. Also gatorade helps. Good luck. Hope this helps you.

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb097&pp=ZRxdm609NVUS

Hi...

I just wrote "wickedme" (2 posts above yours) with a recipe for strawberry mousse that I made up about one week after surgery. It uses my Protein powder, berry Jello, 1/2 cup milk and Splenda and frozen strawberries. I'd copy it into this, but I can't find the copy on this google page. Anyway, it was o.k.'d for me by the bariatric nurse, as long as I could tolerate the strawberries. Since they are totally blended into the mouse, I've had no trouble. Hope you can get the recipe. If not, give me a quick reply and I'll try to do it again.

Thanks Simba, If I have any questions I will call upon you. Noticed Wilko was a bit of an oddball but I always had excellent reports about him. All the advice from other contributers on this subject have gone into my info bank for later when I need it. Thanks everyone!