Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all you fellow lap banders!

I'm Kimberly and I had my Lap band surgery on June 2, just 7 weeks ago and I'm kind of disappointed in the Lap band. I had my first fill a week ago and there is no restriction. I'm so afraid I'm going to gain the 23 pounds I've already lost. I had the surgery because I'm more then 100 pounds over weight so 27 doesn't seem like much to me. My doctor states that he will only do 1.5cc fills at a time, does this seem like to little or I'm I losing hope. My will power is falling and the band isn't helping like I thought. Can anyone help me with some of these questions?

You are just being a little too impatient. Don't be disappointed in the band before you even give it a chance. First of all, 23 pounds in 7 weeks is great. You didn't even really start using your band until a week ago when you got your first fill and it will likely take another couple fills until it really starts working. Your doctor is correct by filling you a little at a time...giving you too much restriction is not going to do you any good, you would be miserable-overfilling can cause a lot of problems. It takes time to get at the right restriction, just stay focused and stick with what you have been doing...if you do that you will succeed!

It is really too bad that this isnt made clear by the surgeons during the decision making process. I strongly feel that if I was told that 1) you have the surgery 2) it will not be very functional, if at all, until fill 3) the fill level may take months and months or years to get right....heck no would I have spent the money and had my body sliced up for this most inconsistent and most uncertain course of treatment. I am sorry but I have higher expectations from such a drastic measure and all of the hype and selling points around this procedure.

I have some other issues like hiatal hernia and some thyroid/adrenal masses so maybe my problems could be related. Maybe these things contribute which would be great if so...maybe the fact that the band is not for everyone is something that the medical community needs to see and develop some more definitive criteria around through further research of those of us failing - not to mention be a bit more forthcoming on this aspect BEFORE surgery not after so we can all make more informed decisions.

Kimberly please do give it a chance. There are tons of people who have been really successful. I think that you need to have discussions with your surgeons office on how to manage the fills so you get the most success. So he only does 1.5cc, find out what the waiting period is. You will likely just need a tiny bit more. Also I have heard that some people's fills kick in a couple of weeks after they are given...dont give up like I have...just understand now that this is not going to be easy or convenient...

Hi Kimberly - do not despair! You are doing great so far! 23 pounds is a lot when you think that if you have 100 pounds to lose your are have reached 25% of you goal. I am going through the same thing as you are. Jodi is right, depending on the person it can take up to 6 months before you get to the "right" point for you. I had my surgery on May 8th of this year. I have had 3 fills since. I am still struggling with hunger sometimes (lots of "YELLOW" day!). When I spoke to my doctor about my concerns he assured me this is normal. He said I could be in his office once a week for 8 weeks till I get it right - but everyone is different. I just want to be at the point where I do not feel like I am still in a "diet". I hate to be hungry. I have found that drinking a Protein Drink in between meals really helps with the hunger. I had my last fill not quit 2 weeks ago and I am getting ready to contact the doctor to discuss another one. How often will your doctor give you a fill? Are you eating the same amount of food you were before your surgery? I think not, as even without a lot of restriction your pouch can only hold so much. I had my surgery 11 weeks ago and even though I am struggling with hunger I have still managed to lose almost 60 pounds. Are you exercising yet? I found that that helps me keep on track and actually helps with the hunger. So, give it time, stick with what you are doing and you can do it!

Micheleaner

I am sorry to hear that your surgeon was not clearer with you on this process. It sounds like maybe you had some misinformation or miscommunication with your doctors and your surgeon. I have to say that my surgeon and his team were very clear on what I should expect. And what I did not learn from them, I learned from research before deciding to go with gastric banding. I went with this procedure because although it was quite clear to me that the weight loss is slower, the procedure is much less drastic than gastric bypass. And we all know that the slower weight loss is healthier and allows our bodies to adjust/ But I understood that I would still need to do my part to make it work.

If you have adrenal issues that will not allow successful weight loss then your endocrinologist or physician treating you for thyroid/adrenal issues should have let you know that the lap band might be less successful, your surgeon should have been aware of this too. My surgeon knew my entire health history. I am hypothyroid, although I see my endocrinologist every 6 months to keep my TSH in check; my surgeon wanted to double check to make sure my thyroid was functioning properly before surgery. I also have PCOS, my surgeon discussed this with me and made it clear that weight loss could be harder for me because I have this condition but that weight loss may also put it in remission.

I hope things start looking up for you.

I've also heard that it can take a few fills to hit that "sweet spot". Where you will not be near as hungry, etc. I am getting banded next month. I had my dietician appointment Wednesday, my exercise appointment today, and my psychologist and surgeon appointments on Monday!! I hope you get the right fills soon though. Keep us updated. Stay strong!! That'd suck to gain the weight back that you already lost, and then have to lose it again :/

hi Kimberly,

welcome to LBT. it took me at least 2 fills until i had proper restriction. just go in and get the fills every X days (my doc was 30 days, some are more/less).

good luck!