Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BAD lap-band info?

Ok, look at this site.

http://droakleymd.com/index.php?page=debate

So is this page full of BS or do they have any hard facts? I came across this page randomly and am thinking that either these people are off their rocker or banders have been poorly informed.

Obviously this company feels threatened by the success of the lap-band. What are your thoughts when you read things like this? Just curious.

My thoughts when reading things like this is marketing, marketing, marketing. Statistics can be bent to support any position, and the important thing is to know the motives of the presenter. This group seems to have a vested interest in promoting RNY over banding, so of course they're presenting only the statistics that support that position.

Phooey.

All I can say is I am living proof that

the Lap Band is affective

92 lbs in 13 months is just a good as a bypass patient with no saggy skin, no dumping, no malabsorption

I am extremely happy with my Lap Band and am glad I chose Lap band over bypass

It's a matter of perspective. If you want to believe that gastric bypass is for you and Lap Band is not, then this is a great page. I spout the "typical" Lap Band benefits, and my perspective is bent toward the Band. Oh well. Sue me.

Some pretty good arguements in there if you choose to think that way about it. I can't imagine how great your success would be if your doctor felt this way. I'd never have a Lap Band procedure done there!

Another thing I heard about the US clinical trials (caution: the following is loosely translated, undocumented heresay) was that there were never any fill follow-up data taken with the band patients under the clinical trials. They just got the band, no fills, no real support, and so the weight loss statistics are at 45-60% or whatever of the patients goal, and MANY more are exceeding that and meeting their weight loss goals. So the docs have stats that aren't really any good about the success rate of the Band.

MYTH:

LAP-BAND is reversible. (As though the other operations were not!)

FACT:

If one could conjure up a scenario why a weight loss operation would have to be reversed, laparoscopic gastric bypass could be reversed with a laparoscopic procedure at many institutions with a two day hospitalization and one week recovery.

Why would you tout a treatment for a lifelong disease such as obesity as having the benefit of being temporary, unless you knew it would have to be temporary? Obesity would return rapidly. A good operation should be done “for life”, and provide normal eating patterns and normal quality of life. Thousands of patients are now twenty years out from their Roux-en-Y gastric bypass with no problems, whatsoever

well.. i have to say if I had my complication with the bypass I WOULD have died.. thank GOD it was reversable!!!

Well, just the idea that they're so flip about the RNY being "reversible"...while takedowns can be done, they are significantly riskier than the original surgery (especially since in most cases, the condition of the patient is so poor at that point) and it's extraordinarily difficult to find surgeons who will do it. AND the digestive tract will never be "back to normal". Total BS.

And the studies they're pulling the EWL numbers from are studies done by surgeons/institutions strongly in favor of the RNY, so again, quite flawed. LOL

And they didn't even have the courtesy to put a contact email addy on their site...guess they don't want angry bandsters beating them up :)

Nancy