Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7cc in 10cc band, THREE FILLS & still NO RESTRICTION??

I had surgery March 26th and have only lost about 20 pounds since then, and it has been through hard work alone. I walk on the treadmill for 40 minutes 5x per week. I have cut way back on my intake, although I can still eat just as much as before. I know this because I ate a HUGE salad last night because I was so hungry! When I say huge, it was stacked 3 inches tall off of my dinner sized plate. I ate it all, with no problems.

No sticking, no sliming, no PBing...and honestly, it felt so good to actually eat. Here is an average day for me:

Breakfast: 1 small apple, 1 small light yogurt

Lunch: 3 slices shaved roasted turkey w onion and mustard, 1 pickle, a large Naval orange

Dinner: Broiled fish, shrimp or scallops with lemon & some kind of steamed veggie

Snack: sometimes I will have a 100 calorie fat free pudding, but not everyday (maybe once or twice a week)

I never exercised before surgery. I never ate like that before my surgery. I was a large eater, like a pound of fettucine alfredo with tons of parmesan cheese and garlic bread. I know that the 20 pounds I have lost in the last 4 months have been through diet and exercise.

Everyone kept telling me I would get restriction after I had a couple of fills. I have had THREE fills. My band holds 10cc's, and I currently have 7ccs in there. My last fill was the first week in July. I feel no different.

Anybody have this experience?

Everyone expects some miraculous weight loss, but it isn't happening. I feel like I should have had the bypass. Thanks for reading my rant!

You are not alone in this...I am having a similar issue...I am playing around with the same 3 pds. Up and down. Today i visited lapband.com again & looked at the eating requirements for the 1st year after surgery. I have read the requirements over & over but today I feel like I woke up to the reality of how hard it is and I have to be committed to cutting the calories and making myself work out at least 3 times a week. Here's the basic requirements :

Daily:

1 to 2 servings of fruit (1.5 cups)

2 to 3 servings of Veggies (2.5 cups)

1 small portion of cornflakes for Breakfast (One small portion of low-sugar cold or hot cereal)

Half to one slice of toasted whole wheat or rye bread each day

1 to 2 oz of meat, fish, poultry or 1 egg

2 cups of skim milk or lowfat yogurt

1 oz of cheese

3 to 4 teaspoons of Fat (butter/oil)

Unlimited:

Tea

Clear Soup

Water

Flavored sugar free drinks

I know that I have not obtained the "zone" yet...so I can not wait until my next fill. Keep your chin up...we will do this!

Edited by FunkyGirl
misspelled

You are definitely not alone. I had surgery on May 15th and just today had my 5th fill -- I now have 8 cc's in a 9 cc band, and I'm not sure yet but I think I might finally have restriction. I just ate a grilled chicken salad for lunch (yes my doctor allows and encourages us to eat solid food the day of a fill) and I found for the first time that I had to take small bites and chew carefully. I didn't quite finish the salad but I'm not sure if it's because I was satisfied or I ran out of time, lol!

Last weekend I went out for a bite to eat and I was getting so frustrated and discouraged with my lack of restriction that I decided to push the limit a little bit just to make sure I didn't have restriction. I had a huge California burger with a big thick bun and I ate the whole thing. I don't think I could do that today ---- I'm very hopeful! So hang in there... it will happen.

By the way, I'd make sure you are getting enough calories. If you eat too few calories a day you won't lose weight either. I lose weight faster at 1000 or 1100 calories a day than I do at 800.

If you are eating 1 cup of food and losing that is considered good. I have perfect restriction and eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food. I joined Weight Watchers to lose the rest of my weight. I have 15-30 lbs to lose. I am on the core program which is high Protein, fruits and vegies. I get 3k calories a week extra for alcohol, carbs, etc. I can have brown rice, cream of wheat, whole wheat Pasta free. I lost 5 lbs my first week. I had plateaued for 7 months. Good luck.

My husband has had five fills and has 8.6 cc in his 10 cc. band. It was only with his latest fill that he has really had any restriction.

I have a 4 cc band and have had 2 fills with a total of 1.9 cc, and I don't expect to have another. We are all different. Don't give up, and get another fill if you feel you need it. Some people actually have more than 10 cc in their 10 cc bands.

If you are eating 1 cup of food and losing that is considered good. I have perfect restriction and eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup of food. I joined Weight Watchers to lose the rest of my weight. I have 15-30 lbs to lose. I am on the core program which is high Protein, fruits and vegies. I get 3k calories a week extra for alcohol, carbs, etc. I can have brown rice, cream of wheat, whole wheat Pasta free. I lost 5 lbs my first week. I had plateaued for 7 months. Good luck.

Heya Julie, are you saying you don't eat more than 1-1/2 cups of food a day? I can't imagine that... how do you get in all your nutrition? My doctor shows us these little plastic plates of food to show us how much we should be able to eat at each meal and it usually amounts to a chicken breast and about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of vegetables. Maybe if I dice up the chicken breast and add it to the veggies it comes out to half a cup but I would think it's more. Anyway I'm just curious!

I eat high Protein, fruit and vegies. I started on the Weight Watchers core program and lost 5 lbs this week. I have plateaued for 7 months so I am very happy. I did start my day with a Protein Shake today which has 35 grams followed by part of a pork chop and chili so I am eating more protein. I need to get my fruit, vegies and more protein in today. I also started back on my Vitamins today. Multi, B12, Iron that is what I take for now.

Hi There

I didn't really have any restriction until my 4th fill, and man what a difference. I did not have to worry about the size of my bites before or what I ate and couldn't understand what everyone was talking about, now I do. I have had a few bites too big and I can't even describe the uncomfortable feeling you will get, so chew, chew, chew. I am really having to be aware of everything I eat now.

I too lost my first 25 by exercising alot and really watching what I ate and was starting to wonder if I would ever feel what others were. So give it time and probably one or two more fills and you will feel a huge difference.

Hope this helps, keep up the good work sounds like your doing great even without the restriction so when it happens you will be amazed, and trust me you will know.

Valerie

I lost 20lbs in 1 month since i've been banded.I had my first fill today 1cc..

I lost 20lbs in 1 month since i've been banded.I had my first fill today 1cc..

I have a 11 cc band did not get restriction until 10.6. Are you weighing your Protein? My doctor says 3 oz. If you are not getting enough protein that will stall your loss and make you feel hungry. I have greek yogurt for Breakfast and add half a scoop of vanilla isolate to up the protein (add splendra since Greek yogurt is sour).

I have had restriction to the point I can not drink Water, but I was still hungery. I had surgery about 3 years ago and lost about 50 pounds the first 6 months and then nothing, now gaining weight, almost all has came back, very disappointed. But I also find that my band hurts ever since I got it in. But I have also giving up on ever being comfortable, I have about 2cc in it now and I am gaining weight fast but the pain is still there. So, restriction is not always a good thing.

Thank you for posting this...I have about 4cc in a 10cc band and I have not felt much restriction...other than I do get full faster, but I have to eat more than a cup of anything. I lost about 24 pounds since my surgery in April and this month I have been going up and down with the same 2-3 pounds. Finally, out of desperation, I joined weight watchers to that I could have paramaters, yet still be able to eat. I have been successful this week and hope that this helps with the hunger until I get enough fills that I finally able to eat about a half a cup and be full.

Good luck to you...and thanks for reminding me that I am not the only one with these crazy ups/downs.