Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

realize band vs lap band

I wasn't trying to insult you so Im sorry if I did. My surgeon showed me both too and let me decide. I did my own research and the newest gen lapband as they say on their commercials seems to have better weight loss which is more important to me than my surgeon "being connected to me" through a website which I doubt I'll ever use. But thats just me- if you're into that then good for you.

One thing I did not like on the Realize website is they are comparing 6 year old worst lap band trials with the old models and their new trials with the Realize band. I felt that was deceptive marketing, they some how choose to leave off the latest lap band trial with 62% weight loss with the new bands in 12 months off their comparison. I didnt "realize" that and asked my surgeon and that is what he told me because I originally was going to get the realize band and my surgeon asked me why. When I said I saw on their site the comparison and the weight loss seemed better he shared the info with me. I don't think thats fair and it made me question them. I glad I have a surgeon who is informed on the truth, you can't trust anyone these days!

Hey brother -good luck on your Quest, whichever band you choose I hope you rock the weight loss!

Rockbandster,

Sorry, I'm three days into my Optifast pre-surgery diet, and I'm feeling cranky. My response was way over the top.

As far as Realize, my surgeon was confident that it would be a good band for me. However, he also said that I may wake up with a Lap Band because what they find inside me may make it a better fit. So tentatively the decision is for Realize, but I'm comfortable that my surgeon will make the right decision once he sees my anatomy inside. I actually really appreciate the fact that he is doing the wait and see approach.

Again, sorry for over reacting.

Bryan

I chose Realize Band because of the smaller port, the web-site where you get your own Patient ID number which entitles you to log-in - lap banders can't access it - it is really a helpful tool and because it has less port slippage problems due to the way it is attached - it isn't sutured in it has its own system. The doctor I went to switched totally to the Realize Band once it was approved. Hope it helps. However, I think they are both really good and not sure one band is better than the other as far as the weight loss and actual band is concerned -

Do you mean a lump where the port is? I have a huge lump on my left side and I can feel my port's edges - it is right under my skin and I hate it - I can't feel the band around my stomach though - I didn't think that was possible - Thanks.

Optifast is the pits , been there myself - Try Lee Labradas Low carb meal replacements- they hold you for hours and are very filling.

no problem...We are all in this together. The Lapband is also available with a smaller port, you need to ask for it. He said I was too big for it which sucked but I trust his judgement. When my surgeon trained on the Realize Band, the trainers said you need to stitch it on even though they have that staple gun thing, I asked about that too. He says unless he can clear out all the fat and lay the port flat which is unlikely, that port thing doesn't hold. He said the Lapband had the same thing years ago and they took it off the market because it doesnt work well. He also said the smaller Realize band port is a nightmare for fills because it has no tactile response. He said a lot of times he cant find the port and has to send the patient to xray so they can find it too fill it. The other issue is because the realize band creases and is a triangle, it is very hard to tell how much Fluid is coming in/out.

I then inquired about the website thing and he said the Lapband company is coming out with a new website which will equal or surpass the Realize site by the end of year. He said the only reason they have this fancy website is because the Realize band is just the Swedish Band from 1996 in a new box and is old technology so J&J is diverting their attention away from the band. He showed me all 5 lapbands and the Realize and I have to agree after seeing them and holding them you can tell the Realize is not bad, but you can tell its old. You can actually see the glue where the band meets the back of it. The lapband is just more sturdy and looks like its better quality -IMO

The last thing he said which I can vouch is true, you can check the other threads is I had a feeling of fullness from day one because the new lap band are designed to the leave the Fluid in when placed, the realize band has to be left in empty so many patients according to him dont lose weight cause the band is too soft, deflated and empty for 6 weeks while the lapband is form fitting, circular and about a third filled when its implanted. I can honestly say I have had restriction from day one and after the first fill its even better.

Again this all coming from my doctor who is certified on both..im just going by what he said and passing this on as information, make your own choices .He leans toward the lapband and only does the realize on demand. I think because he already has had to remove 2 Realize Bands since december because they fell apart, he is pro lapband.

Al lI care about is losing weight which i am, a lot of on the Lapband so Im happy. 36lbs since July-Im not complaining!

Either way i hope this thread inspires people to choose the right band for them based on the band and surgeon, not the port or website.

I am 2 weeks Post Op today and just had my first Docters App since surgery....I am down 26lbs in just the 2 weeks....So if anyone is doubting there choice about having their Realize band placed, please dont....Weight loss if personal like I have said before..Your band is a tool to guide you no matter which band you choose....Good luck to everone in the battle...Its a tough one...:crying:

Only time will tell if the new Lap-Band AP is really that much better than their earlier bands. Remember that Paul O'Brien is one of the Lap-Band developers and he has a financial stake in the product. So it's in his financial interest to play up the new and improved band (it's called marketing). Also note that only the small AP band had that awesome 1st year rate. And there's no telling what the 2 or 3 year rate will be; it might be the same between all the bands at that point. After all, don't the rates show that gastric bypass and lapband are equivalent over time, despite the initial increased weight loss for gastric bypass?

I have the realize band, so I certainly hope it's not inferior. But only time will tell.

It seems to me that rockbandster is selling this a little too hard, if you know what I mean.

a) Im not selling anything, I can care less what you do or what band you have in you -Im passing on info to help others in their choices. I was under the impression this was a forum exchange information.

:thumbup: My doctor says they have the 2 year data and there's no statistically signifigant difference in 1 one or 2. In addition the larger band had a lower rate (40 something %) because a) it was only filled to 3cc when it should have been filled to 5cc :thumbup: the really large patients have more weight lose so it's impossible to lose that much weight in year.

so your saying this doctor is lying about his results? That's a bold statement to make without backing it up. You should check your facts before posting.

i got band on 8-26-08 and i got the realize band. i was wanting it because of the port was smaller and made out of titauim (sp). i know both bands work great. i did alot of research on both bands before i got mine. i was told being a big guy that i might not get it. it depends on what he sees in side when he done the surgery. the realize band is smaller in size then the lap band. i think you will be in good shape with either one. just make sure you eat right and work out.

jason r

Guest BikiniBeachy

Hi there! My doctor also has both bands and I am on this thread weighing my options. He didn't have a favorite in particular, which makes it hard for me. It's also hard because the $60 million in marketing Realize just started (he told me those stats, don't quote me) really gets to me and makes me think it's "Fresher" and "newer" but that's just advertising at it's greatest :tt2: He said Lap Band is getting ready to launch a massive campaign in reponse....But it does kinda seem cool to have a newer version of something.

I guess I'm inclined to Realize because of the smaller port size (great!)....it's softer (I hear) and they have a support system (I'm a computer geek, and love to see visual aides, even if I will be using this site, I hear Realize's is spectacular as far and charting and graphing goes) If anyone has any other advice, please let me know, and thank you all! I think it's totally ok to choose a bands from a website as it's a wealth of information and I am really excited.

PS some questions...why is it oval? What difference does that make? And what does "anchored" to the muscle mean, as opposed to sutured?

And the shape thing is confusing the heck out of me.

PPS Hi Mickey, I am going to be a patient of Dr Snyder too, woohoo, great stats!

Guest BikiniBeachy

rockbandster - can you please tell me where to find this study about weight loss with the two bands?

I have Googled Dr. Paul O'Brian in Australia like your doc told you as you stated in the other thread but I am only finding a Dr. of skin cancer and no weight loss. Thanks!

I would go with the realize band, I just had the lap band taken out because it was defective.

I need help deciding which band I should use;the lap band or the realize band. My doc says that they are both great but the port on the realize band seems to be thinner(so it won't protrude as much when I loose the weight). But then I think, do I just stick with what's been around alot longer-the lapband? Anyone have any comments?

Is this the doctor he's referring to? Professor Paul O

There's an article in the current (summer) issue of Obesity Help magazine comparing the two. It came out pretty even. One difference is that the cushion area that is filled with the saline around the stomach, on the Realize it was a continuous chamber, in the AP Lap Band it was little pillows. No study yet though to see if that made a difference or not. I went with AP, liked the pillows, the website wasn't that big a deal I log my foods on dailyplate.com. But all in all it seems they are pretty equal.