Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did hypothyroidism cause you to be denied?

www.about.com has an excellent board on hypothyroidism. I have gotten excellent information and support there. Put hypothyroidism in the search window and you'll get there. Good Luck!

About 2 months ago I had "bone surgery" in the upper right dental area.:confused:

Wisdom teeth were removed in my 20s, but like dominoes - the 2 adjacent teeth had to be removed because of serious bone loss.

(I had my hypothyroidism diagnosed at 40 - but since they rarely test thyroid levels until symptoms appear - I may have had it longer)

My periodontist built up the area with a synthetic compound to replace the lost bone to prevent further loss.

He said stress was the major factor in that type of bone loss - :ohmy:

and NOT FLOSSING.

And many psycho-therapeutic drugs can cause damage as well. :smile2:

leknigh...

I wasn't explained the "technical" explanation of how thyroid and oral health are tied together but I found this...

"Hypothyroidism. Common oral findings in

hypothyroidism include macroglossia, dysgeusia,

delayed eruption, poor periodontal health and

delayed wound healing.44 Before treating a

patient who has a history of thyroid disease, the

dentist should obtain the correct diagnosis and

etiology for the thyroid disorder, as well as past

medical complications and medical therapy. Further

inquiry regarding past dental treatment is

justified. The condition’s prognosis usually is

given by the time of treatment and patient

compliance."

As far as the medication that I am on... it is a prescription... luckily VERY CHEAP as my insurance will not cover it... they only cover synthetic meds.... but it is called Amour Thyroid and I think it is from pigs or cows.... I don't like putting medication/chemicals into my body any more than I can help it... so this works perfect for me and seems to be controlling my thyroid very well... you can do a search from Google on it.... I pay like $7 or $8 a month out of my pocket for my prescription, which is less than my co-pay... so it's cheap!

Any more questions, let me know!

Kammi in Everett, WA

By the way for anyone interested... here a few interesting links on flouride and hypothyroidism.... I personally don't use flouride and try not to drink tap Water any more than I can help it... my 5-1/2 year old daughter has never brushed her teeth with flouride toothpaste either and is doing great oral health wise... even my dentist agrees that there is no proven research that proves flouride is good for protection of teeth... though some of you may find the link between the thyroid and flouride interesting.... I did.

The Effects Of Fluoride On The Thyroid Gland

Hidden Danger in Your Drinking Water and Toothpaste / Fluoride and Fluoridated Water's Link to Thyroid Disease

Kammi in Everett, WA