Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did hypothyroidism cause you to be denied?

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism a couple of months ago and just saw that it can be a reason to be denied. I am on synthroid.

This is frustrating to me as I was NOT hypothyroid a couple of years ago but was still morbidly obese--obviously, my thyroid is not the problem.

I have heard that it can sometimes take a long time to regulate--how long? Does it sometimes regulate quickly? My TSH was 5.4.

THANKS!

~~anne

Edited by annecolorgreen

I have had hypothyroid since my early 20's. I have been on synthyroid since I was diagnosed. Right before my surgery which was 6/3 I had to go to the endoronologist from the surgeon's check off list. and my thyroid TSH was higher and the endocronolgist wanted to up my synthyroid. I was afraid to change my meds until after my surgery. My reg. MD has been regulating my thyroid for years and I will check with him in another month. I wasn't denied for having hypothyroid you need to make sure you have your primary care dr. write a letter stating that you have tried everything to lose weight...pills, WW, Nutrasystem, DR. Diet. etc. Good luck, I am sure that everyting will work out!

What a coincidence.

I just posted a similar question on the over-50 forum. :scared2:

I too have hypothyroidism (formerly Graves disease)

after 17 years, 80 pounds the first year, and no dieting success other than a rebound to a stubborn 210 pounds -

I now acquired weight related Diabetes Type 2 with all it's evil relatives and more on the way (including a brand new CATARACT) :unsure:

I want this LPS

I need it :lol:

I demand it

Can I still have it?

Pretty please?:thumbup:

I'm back and feeling like "BIG" Ms. Smarty-Pants here. :thumbup:

I googled my little ol' thyroid gland out and found this gem;

Bariatric Surgery: gastric bypass, Vitamin deficiencies, billroth

Read it if you like medical-research-tech stuff

but here are some heart-warming excerpts;

" Interestingly, there is a recently published study that implies that bariatric surgery may improve your hypothyroidism. "

"The pathophysiologic relationship between morbid obesity and thyroid hormones is not well understood. The goal of this study was to evaluate the influence of obesity and weight reduction after bariatric surgery on thyroid hormone levels. . .

"CONCLUSION: The results of our study have demonstrated a statistically significant positive association between serum TSH within the normal range and BMI. No association was found between BMI and free T(4) serum levels. The prevalence of subclinical hypothyroidism in study group was 10.5%. Weight loss after bariatric surgery improved or normalized thyroid hormone levels."

:lol:

i dont have this problem, but iknow my insurance told me that they would not approve if i had thyroid problems, i have bcbs of florida state ppo plan...

I have had hypothyroidism since my early 30's and have been on Synthroid since. My TSH was elevated at the time of surgery. My insurance company never mentioned my thyroid status and I was approved. My surgeon was not particularly concerned either. Just go for it and see what happens. The best to you!

I too have underactive thyroid. My TSH is wacky right now and we are trying to regulate it. My cholesteral is also high but my FD said that there is a relationship between the two. :thumbup:

I have been hypo for 20 yrs and on meds all that time. I like to think that I am pretty in tune with my conditions and body but I have never read, heard or knew the link between chol and thyroid. Anyone else know this?

Yes, Suzie. There is definately a link between elevated cholesterol and an elevated TSH according to my endocrinologist. I too was surprised when he first told me that, but since then, I have noted that whenever my TSH is elevated so is my cholesterol. Diet does not seem to account for it. When TSH is OK, so is the cholesterol.

Guest Leslie2Lose

No. Not at all. I was diagnosed four years ago. I've been on medication (synthroid) since then. My doctor actually just upped my dose two weeks ago as it was slightly elevated. I didn't have any problem with my insurance (BCBS - FEP) approving me.

I think you have to have a documented history that your TSH level is normal and you are on medication for some insurance companies. However, I don't know if all insurance companies have the same requirements.

Edited by Leslie2Lose

My insurance had me do blood work to prove the synthroid was working properly and it was not a problem. I take 75 mcg daily and had the band Aug. 15, 2007. Good luck!

Hi Everyone! I just found out I have HYPOTHYROIDISM today! I have my first appointment with the surgeon a week from tomorrow. I am self-paying but I am wondering if the condition will make my insurance pay for the lap band instead. But reading your posts, I am scared I will be denied! I am picking up my medication for the hypothyroidism tomorrow. Any advice or words or encouragement that I will still be allowed to have the lap band??

I was diagnosed with hypothyrodism in June of 2007 although I am sure I have been dealing with it for many years before. Luckily I found a naturalpathic doctor that specializes in Thyroid conditions and put me on Amour Thyroid (natural thyroid, not synthetic) and my TSH level is 1.2. She believes in tight control and says that really anyone with a TSH level above 2.0 should be treated. The difficulty and why it was overlooked for many years is that the range that is normal by most traditional doctors is .5 to 5.5... I am not sure if it has yet been modified but there was a lot of information out there on trying to get the range down to .5 to 3.3. So... know your TSH levels... get your blood work done every 3 months or so and understand what low thyroid can do to your body. Since mine has been under tight contol... believe it or not my oral health has improved dramatically. When they took the measurements for my bone loss.... they said I had an 85% improvement in the past year since thyroid is is under tight control... they say it is directily related. Just though I would share my story.... I was self pay in Mexico so insurance denial wasn't an issue.

Kammi in Everett, WA

DOB 5/27/08

335/302/180

Dr. Kuri - TJ Mexico

I was diagnosed with hypothyrodism in June of 2007 although I am sure I have been dealing with it for many years before. Luckily I found a naturalpathic doctor that specializes in Thyroid conditions and put me on Amour Thyroid (natural thyroid, not synthetic) and my TSH level is 1.2. She believes in tight control and says that really anyone with a TSH level above 2.0 should be treated. The difficulty and why it was overlooked for many years is that the range that is normal by most traditional doctors is .5 to 5.5... I am not sure if it has yet been modified but there was a lot of information out there on trying to get the range down to .5 to 3.3. So... know your TSH levels... get your blood work done every 3 months or so and understand what low thyroid can do to your body. Since mine has been under tight contol... believe it or not my oral health has improved dramatically. When they took the measurements for my bone loss.... they said I had an 85% improvement in the past year since thyroid is is under tight control... they say it is directily related. Just though I would share my story.... I was self pay in Mexico so insurance denial wasn't an issue.

Kammi in Everett, WA

DOB 5/27/08

335/302/180

Dr. Kuri - TJ Mexico

Hi Kammi - can you tell me a little bit more about the oral health and bone issues that can result from Hypothyroidism. I was just diagnosed with it about a month ago.

I'm also interested in knowing more about the natural thyroid you mentioned as well. Is that a prescription pill?

Thanks - Lori