Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it the band or are you a picky eater?

I have heard different stories from people I know who have had WLS, some continue to have food issues, while others eat what they want just a lot less.. I was wondering if it is because they were picky eaters before surgery? The ones I know that have trouble eating were picky eaters, who only ate meat and junk. I'm not being judgemental just wondering what the concensus is on the subject..

I am not a picky eater and am hoping I won't become one.:thumbup:

I was not extremely picky before but I am certainly more selective now. I only have so much space to fill up now and I want to fill it with something tasty and nutritious that fits in with my eating plan.

I ate Protein and vegetables prior to banding. I did a modified Atkins diet, even though the portions I ate were too large to allow for weight loss and I was actually gaining. I am actually eating more carbs and less vegetables now with my band, but all portions are WAY down. I went to a buffet last night, and had a chicken drumstick, a spoonful or barbecued beef, and maybe two teaspoons of salmon, plus green Beans and a couple tablespoons of mashed potatoes. I felt like I was eating huge portions, until I looked at my sister-in-law's plate and realized you couldn't see any plate between the two inch tall piles of food. I am not really trying to lose any weight right now, so I didn't worry about what I was eating but just took what I wanted.

As heather said, you become (if you are wise) much more selective about what you are putting into your body. Before the band, I figured I was eating enough that I would get the Protein, Vitamins, and Fiber I needed without thinking about it too much. Now with smaller portions I try to be sure I am nourishing my body properly.

Currently I have the most restriction I've had since I was banded. I was never a picky eater and I still love food. But once I got a good amount of restriction things changed. We have a big fig tree in the back with tons of figs. When I got home from work I use to love to eat them right off the tree. NOW I know that if I eat even 1 fig I will "spoil" my dinner! I have only so much room in my stomach and I want to make sure I get my Protein in first. So in a way we become pickier out of necessity.