Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering about exersize

Guest jeannieka

Guest jeannieka

I just have the band surgery on may 17, 2005 and would like to know about everyone whom has had te band and lost rapidly if you did aLOT of exersize. I would also like to know i anyone was prescribed medicaton for the mental hunger (i know it sounds stupid) but it's SOOO hard i have had the bad habits all of my life! I have lost 10 12 ponds in i week, i was relly excited at first but now i am starting to wonder if this is going to be like all the rest of the diets were i gain 25 pounds back? Any sucess stories would be much appreciated!!:straight

What medication for the mental hunger? That's a new one for me, but maybe not for others...

As far as exercise goes, I am slowly getting back at it, but have never stopped walking. It's been over 6 weeks so it's time for aerobics and light weights for muscle tone. I can tell my body is ready.

You will find that life with the band is very similar to the weight loss struggle before the band. You still have to watch what you eat, exercise, drink your Water, and deal with the mental hunger issues. If you use the tool (band) properly, you will get fuller faster and stay fuller longer, and eat less. This keeps the weight off, and the thought of gaining back is what makes you panic and give up.

There are lots and lots of success stories on this board, and most, if not all, of us are dealing with similar issues as you are. You will certainly find some good encouragement on this thread, but I will encourage you to search around in here for the inspiration as well. You can do this, don't fret!!!

Congratulations on your new band and your weight loss. What you are feeling is normal about gaining the weight back, but once you get into this journey a little deeper you will start to realize it most likely will not happen as long as you use your band wisely and work with it instead of against it. Mental hunger is a tough one in the beginning but again it gets easier as you progress, when I have good restriction it helps me forget my obsession about food

Any sucess stories would be much appreciated!!

We all are successful here

If you want to see just how successful many of us have been go to this thread

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=4642

OMG Kathy, you scare me!! It's the same after the band as before?? I have failed so many times, what if I fail again?? I thought you had to break the rules to sabotage (sp?) the band? I mean there will be effort on my part of course, but I guess I had this idea that if I get the band and follow the rules, I will lose weight.

Now I'm feeling down. Am I starting on another failing option? If dieting with or without the band is the same, why get the band? Ohhh boy.

hi

If you follow the rules you will lose weight,no doubt.

However,one can drive yourself crazy if you weigh all the time and want to lose a lot of weight fast.I thought low carbing (always lost fast like that,couldnt keep it off though...) would make me lose fast.I dont know why but I lose slower now than ever before but I am consistenly losing something.In the past lost a lot gained more.........

Be patient,follow the rules,keep a firm eye on your calories (even thin people do..) and lose weight......one cannot eat high cal food,even less than before, and expect to lose weight......calories in, calories out........weightloss.....

The battle is a lot the same than before.Only this time it can be won.......

Know that you can make this work.....

Dessertmom

Banded 30 April

318 then 295 now...

Exactly what desertmom said!!! Don't be discouraged Hamu, you can do this and keep it off! I am learning alot about the badn and myself and my eating habits; things I never would have learned without this restrictive band. It's the same, yes, but OH! so different. I guess what's hard for me is following the band rules and listening to my newly banded body...desertmom is right on about high calorie foods, even eating less foods than before. If you don't follow the banded rules you are in for a stall in loss for sure.

What you would have a really hard time doing is losing 50 and gaining 70 in the same year. Easy with dieting, much harder with the band!

You have the right idea about the band, it sounds as if your expectations are realistic. You won't fail, don't be discouraged!!! :)

Im 4 weeks in and I exercise bike 60 minutes a day-could do more but I HATE the bike-Im a treadmill girl but my treadmill died and cant afford the one I want right now so will have to make do with bike-I do it during a show I like-Its already too hot and humid for me to go outside and walk-I hate the humidity-lol.Anyway it just depends on you and how you feel but maybe do some walking.

I have heard of people on this board using Meridia prescribed from their doctor. I don't know how big the pill is though. WHy not check with your doctor. I say the more tools the better for weight loss. This is not a fast process and you will eventually have to exercise some to get to a goal weight and maintain it.

Someone here (I can't remember who! Speak up whoever you are!) did Nutrisystem on the band, said she just needed someone to tell her what to eat. She got good results, too. The band helps you stick to it, rather than saying "the heck with it" and eating Isle 2 at the Kroger.

I am learing alot about me, my band, my eating, feeling full, all of that and if you need temporary extra help to reign it in, more power to ya.

I considered taking half of my old Phentermine RX just to boost my metabolism and get past this 15 pound weight loss stall. Unless someone can talk me out of it, anyone know of a reason why not to take the Phentermine?) I'll let you know how it goes!!

Guest j. lynn

I just have the band surgery on may 17, 2005 and would like to know about everyone whom has had te band and lost rapidly if you did aLOT of exersize. I would also like to know i anyone was prescribed medicaton for the mental hunger (i know it sounds stupid) but it's SOOO hard i have had the bad habits all of my life!

I exercise 6 times a week for an hour, plus just started lifting weights again on top of that 2-3 times a week. I think because of that, I've lost fast. I am 5 months out and down 76 pounds.

I have heard of surgeons that prescribe appetite suppresents before the band is filled well.

jayme

I would be very surprised if this was like the rest for you! You wont be able to gain the lbs back! Patience. Once your restriction is there you will learn to eat better without the drugs and really after a while youll notice the new diet in place. Every fill can bring a new diet by the way..

When I was banded I decided to commit to losing this weight. I started the exercising 4 weeks later.

Since that time I have had ups and downs with dieting or rather eating. 5 fills later I am correct. The last fill was a year apart. When I got the last one foe a few weeks I thought about getting it taken out some but didnt. Pushed forward and rededicated my exercise program. The fill eased or I adjusted to it and now it is perfect. I was stuck at 235 then (02/08/05) I am 216lbs now.

My biggest problem was liquid calories/margaritas actually/ I quit that too as I drank every week. My routine is 4 miles 3 times a week and atleast 2 weight training sessions. Its strict but I have made leaps and bounds lately.

Make the commitment and go to it. You made a real sacrifice. Financially and personally so finish it. You have the tool you need now. Not a magic bullet! A tool!

Good Luck....

Noooo same, only different...much different. You will actually feel FULL on those sensible portions rather than immediately wanting to eat more. You won't get hungry again (once properly adjusted) for at least 3-4 hours, and the constant background hunger will be dimmed, so you can go about your life not constantly thinking about what next to put in your mouth.

"Rapid loss" and Lap-band shouldn't be used in the same sentence however. Banding is about sensible loss. Rapid isn't healthier...it merely appeases the impatient inner child that doesn't care if it's healthy or not.

Everyone should be doing some exercise. It's part of what we commit to when we get banded. Those who do not exercise, 30% of what they lose will be lean tissue/muscle. Those who just do some cardio, 25% will be lean tissue. Those who do cardio AND weight training, 0% (yes zero) will be lean tissue.

We want to lose fat and only fat...so yea, exercise (especially strength training) is the way to go...

:)

Nancy

394/275/180

OMG Kathy, you scare me!! It's the same after the band as before?? I have failed so many times, what if I fail again?? I thought you had to break the rules to sabotage (sp?) the band? I mean there will be effort on my part of course, but I guess I had this idea that if I get the band and follow the rules, I will lose weight.

Now I'm feeling down. Am I starting on another failing option? If dieting with or without the band is the same, why get the band? Ohhh boy.