Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had about half the tub. Yesterday I had a tin of Heinz chicken Soup (again without the bits). So quite a bit. I am still getting used to it so at the moment I err on the side of caution and stop when I feel I am getting full.

You are lucky knowing someone who has done it, I know no one, and I made a decision to tell no one about this, so it is really lovely to have found this site and in particular to have some one who seems to be having a very similar time of it near by.

Hello there.. I hope you dont mind me joining you- Im in Derby and am booked in to have my op on 31st Aug so it is really helpful to find out how you are getting on. I myself have gone through the hospital group- did everythign go ok with you??

It will be great to follow your progress over the next few weeks/months - good Luck !!:biggrin2:

I had about half the tub. Yesterday I had a tin of Heinz chicken Soup (again without the bits). So quite a bit. I am still getting used to it so at the moment I err on the side of caution and stop when I feel I am getting full.

You are lucky knowing someone who has done it, I know no one, and I made a decision to tell no one about this, so it is really lovely to have found this site and in particular to have some one who seems to be having a very similar time of it near by.

Yes, I suppose it is lucky - he's based in New York and has lost 175lb over three years - amazing. He says I can call whenever I need to but I feel a bit weird thinking he doesn't want this paranoid girl calling him everytime I have a question! It's weird about telling people because even though I have, they don't properly understand. One of my colleagues put a lunch appointment in my diary for next week which I declined and they sent me an email saying, oh just come along, pretend you have a headache and eat a salad which really riled me. I think they all expect me to come into work next week having lost 10 stone and wham, bam, there's my quick fix. Totally agree about us being in the same boat. How much do you have to lose?

Hello there.. I hope you dont mind me joining you- Im in Derby and am booked in to have my op on 31st Aug so it is really helpful to find out how you are getting on. I myself have gone through the hospital group- did everythign go ok with you??

It will be great to follow your progress over the next few weeks/months - good Luck !!:biggrin2:

No, not at all. Welcome. I got banded on Saturday so literally just getting used to my first week of my new life. Got a little bit over excited and weighed myself already which I got told off about my Doctor. Lost 6kgs since Sat but I know it's not going to be like that all the way. I have a lot to lose but feeling very postive. I wouldn't have had this operation if I knew I couldn't do it. How are you feeling?

well initially really anxious after my first consultation last week and then booking it on monday! Although ive got to say this website is a god send as it is beginning to make me think that i am doing the right thing as you hear so many real life updates on here & not the one in a million stories you read in magazines!

I am glad you are doing ok- it'll be great to hear how you both get on now but it looks like the tables have already turned - which is a good start.

Me, myself- I haven't told many people about the op apart from my folks as they just say I should do it the 'normal' way - but its hard when you have struggled losing weight for a long time for them to understand the strain it puts on you- does that make sense! Have you told many people about your op- how did they take it?

Hello. Please join in, I think I would have been happier having someone to talk to before who had gone through the op. But as you may have read I have told no one (of which more later).

As far as the op, Yes it did. There is a very anti hospital group thread on here which I read after my op - it didn't help. All I can say is that my experience has been good. I had my operation in Orpington, Kent and everyone has been very clear and helpful. I already have my appointment for the dietician and will have my first fill soon. I am looking forward to that as I have in fact put on 3lb - I am told this can happen and while I am now, for the first time in my life willing to be patient, it is still nice to see it coming off.

Catherine

Yes, I suppose it is lucky - he's based in New York and has lost 175lb over three years - amazing. He says I can call whenever I need to but I feel a bit weird thinking he doesn't want this paranoid girl calling him everytime I have a question! It's weird about telling people because even though I have, they don't properly understand. One of my colleagues put a lunch appointment in my diary for next week which I declined and they sent me an email saying, oh just come along, pretend you have a headache and eat a salad which really riled me. I think they all expect me to come into work next week having lost 10 stone and wham, bam, there's my quick fix. Totally agree about us being in the same boat. How much do you have to lose?

I have just lost my original reply in the ether somewhere. Odd.

Anyway, I need to lose about 100lb which is close to 60 kg I think. I have always been very impatient so it will be interesting to finally allow myself the time to do things properly.

I am very interested in your story about your colleague and it reminds me why I have decided to keep this secret. The truth is that unless you have lived with a weight problem (in my case all my life) you simply cannot understand what this experience is like. I have been tempted to tell people but what has stopped me, and undertaking parts of this has been difficult on my own, is the sure knowledge that even those who mean well will have their own misconceptions, issues, prejudices and agendas which will come into play.

This is a very personal and complex journey that we have all undertaken and the truth is that I want to guard myself and that journey from the outside world for a bit longer. I don't want the process to be diluted by the opinions and expectations of others.

I have just lost my original reply in the ether somewhere. Odd.

Anyway, I need to lose about 100lb which is close to 60 kg I think. I have always been very impatient so it will be interesting to finally allow myself the time to do things properly.

I am very interested in your story about your colleague and it reminds me why I have decided to keep this secret. The truth is that unless you have lived with a weight problem (in my case all my life) you simply cannot understand what this experience is like. I have been tempted to tell people but what has stopped me, and undertaking parts of this has been difficult on my own, is the sure knowledge that even those who mean well will have their own misconceptions, issues, prejudices and agendas which will come into play.

This is a very personal and complex journey that we have all undertaken and the truth is that I want to guard myself and that journey from the outside world for a bit longer. I don't want the process to be diluted by the opinions and expectations of others.

I absolutely know what you mean. I told my parents, my boyfriend, my brother and a few colleagues at work as I wanted the support but they are never going to truly understand. I've been overweight since the age of about 11 and I've always been under pressure from my parents to lose weight as they are both quite glamorous and don't really comprehend how I got like this. It does really irritate me when friends/colleagues grab imaginary fat and say things like god, i'm so fat, i had to buy a size 12 in topshop etc...! Oh for the day I can do that. I don't think non-overweight people will ever understand what this is all about. I don't have any overweight friends and perhaps this forum is just what I need as a support mechanism - other people who know exactly what it's like.

Interesting you have no overweight friends. Every woman I know has issues with her body and her weight, but sometimes when you look at very slim women on diets it can drive you to distraction. I would say all my close female friends are very glamorous, all self conscious about weight but I am probably the heaviestl. I do know one other girl in my profession who I like and who I would describe as heavy but we are not close and we have never talked about weight as an issue. And the truth is that each disorder is unique. I also think that it is hard sometimes to admit what the cost of being overweight has been. I have no doubt that it has driven me and has made me successful in many ways, but sometimes I would just like to stop trying to prove things and just be accepted full stop. The great fear I think we all have is that because of our weight that won't happen.

My mother was critical of my weight, and I was overweight as a child. It does stay with you.

Interesting you have no overweight friends. Every woman I know has issues with her body and her weight, but sometimes when you look at very slim women on diets it can drive you to distraction. I would say all my close female friends are very glamorous, all self conscious about weight but I am probably the heaviestl. I do know one other girl in my profession who I like and who I would describe as heavy but we are not close and we have never talked about weight as an issue. And the truth is that each disorder is unique. I also think that it is hard sometimes to admit what the cost of being overweight has been. I have no doubt that it has driven me and has made me successful in many ways, but sometimes I would just like to stop trying to prove things and just be accepted full stop. The great fear I think we all have is that because of our weight that won't happen.

My mother was critical of my weight, and I was overweight as a child. It does stay with you.

Hi Catherine,

How are you feeling today? I had a good night's sleep last night so feeling quite alert - made a Protein shake at about 10am and still haven't finished it. Just have no appetite at all which is SO strange.

I didn't make a conscious effort not to have overweight friends but I work in public relations which notoriously has glam girls and the friends I have from childhood are just not fat. I mean, they might be in their own way - as you say, every woman has hang ups about her weight, but I'd love to look like any of them.

My biggest concern at the moment is exercise - I'm so lazy. I just can't be bothered and that really worries me. I haven't walked more than a mile for about 2 years due to getting sweaty and out of breath and I'm really worried about motivating myself. What are you feelings on exercise?

Hi Catherine,

How are you feeling today? I had a good night's sleep last night so feeling quite alert - made a Protein shake at about 10am and still haven't finished it. Just have no appetite at all which is SO strange.

I didn't make a conscious effort not to have overweight friends but I work in public relations which notoriously has glam girls and the friends I have from childhood are just not fat. I mean, they might be in their own way - as you say, every woman has hang ups about her weight, but I'd love to look like any of them.

My biggest concern at the moment is exercise - I'm so lazy. I just can't be bothered and that really worries me. I haven't walked more than a mile for about 2 years due to getting sweaty and out of breath and I'm really worried about motivating myself. What are you feelings on exercise?

Hello.

I hate exercise. I have done it in the past, was even capable of jogging 6 miles once, but I can never keep it up. I have decided that I should do what I like and not what I think I should do. I do like walking but usually need to combine it with shopping to make it interesting. The other thing I like to do is dance so I close the curtains and put on my ipod and sort of jig about a bit. This I can cope with. I think if you overstretch yourself or do something you don't like it is doomed to fail, so you may as well be gentle on yourself. I also don't think you should rush it; do it in your own time, at a pace you are comfortable with, and which you can stick at.

My good news is that I have finally lost my post operative weight. I am told it can be down to gas. What a thought.

I have also had a shake. I find I like slim fast. The vanilla one tastes like a melted milky bar.

Keep in touch let me know how you're getting on. The shoulder pain returned agin. Yuk.

Catherine

Hello from Brighton!

K X

Hi Miss Wilde,

I love Brighton - was at uni down there. How are you getting on? 11 kg is great - well done! When were you banded and how are you getting on? I'm on week 1 having been banded on Saturday - feeling okay apart from the most shocking shoulder pain!