Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi....I am so excited and have not even had my consultation with the surgeon!

My first appointment is Aug 7th. I am hoping to have the realize lap band. I am 51 years old...with three grown children. I have fought weight problems for the last 26 years of my life...loosing only to gain back again....over and over. If there is anyone from Mid Michigan please e-mail me as I would love to meet others that have been where I am. Thanks for listening to me blab....haha:wink_smile:

Hi Nettie

Welcome to LBT. I am from Michigan too. Gregory, Mi, right next to Stockbridge.....so we're neighbors, so-to-speak. i'm down there quite a bit. Where are you having your surgery at? I get my fills from Dr. March in Hillsdale. I really like him. GOOD LUCK

KARI

Hi Kirajh

I am going to Dr Taylor in Detroit Aug 7th for my first consult, he did my dauhters rouen y surgery in 2005 and she is very happy with him so I chose to go there.

Did the Dr in Hillsdale do your actual surgery?

I am torn between the gastric bypass and the band ....some people say that with the band the sucsess rate is lower but I hope to learn more about the differences on the 7th.

How often do you have have fills?

Well thank you for replying to my message it's good to know that there is someone close by to talk to ...

Nettie

hi Michiganders, I am in Kalamazoo. Nice to hear from fellow bandsters here in Michigan. I can't believe the amount of people at the seminars here in Kalamazoo, I go there to speak about the band to the upcoming bandsters. I think they like to see someone who had the band and speak to me about it, plus I'm glad to be on the other side!

Delo,

That is great that are so many people that look to you for advise....when did you have your surgery? I am wondering what amount of time it takes to lose the weight...months or years...I am new at this and have not had my first appoinment yet.

Thank you

Nettie:thumbup:

Nettie

I wavered between band and bypass for the longest time. I knew a few people who had the bypass but no one with the band. I finally decided to go lapband because it is less invasive and I don't have to cut certain foods out of my diet. Since your daughter went thru bypass, you know the ins and outs and have seen it first hand. I was banded last July down in Mexico. I go to Hillsdale for fills and he has you come in every month. I was getting a fill each time until May when I finally got good restriction. I haven't seen the doctor since then, although I'm thinking maybe I need a tweak. In that yer, I have lost 102 pounds with just 35 more to go. It's been hard work, but it is worth it. I figure with the band, as long as I have restriction (my choice) it should work forever to keep my weight down. One thing I have noticed with my friends who have had the bypass, is they are starting to put the weight back on. I know they don't plan to put it back on, or they wouldn't have had the surgery in the first place. The lapband isn't a quick fix, but I believe it will work a lot longer.