Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Angie, I just turned 32 years old. I am married with one daughter. I am hoping to have lap band surgery in August at UCSD in San Diego. I'm a little worried, so I'm hoping I can get some realistic views of how I am going to feel. I have never had surgery, I guess it's the pain I'm most scared of. Although I need to loose around 75 pounds my insurance doesn't feel it's medically necassary so I am having to pay out of pocket. I just want to make sure I am making the right choice for myself considering it is such a large amount of money. I have struggled with my weight for about 10 years, I can loose weight, I just can never keep it off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Angie:redface:

Hi Angie,

Just remember what you've heard about the Lapband meaning a lifestyle change for some people, it is a 'tool' for losing weight, but if you do not follow consistent healthy dietary habits and not drink 30 minutes prior and 1 hour afterwards (this is what I go by), then you will defeat it. I had mine done almost 8 months ago and have lost 60 pounds so far (55 to go by the end of the year), but I have always been pretty health conscience and actually like to exercise (I have a new home, so this may mean my many projects (painting and yard) in addition to some swimming and weights).

I have a pretty low pain tolerance, and the only time I felt any pain was when I woke up after surgery, but the medical personnel gave me medication right away, so within a minute or so it was alleviated.

God Bless, Susie

Thanks so much. I realize it takes work and I am definantly at the point in my life where I am willing to make some major changes. My boss had the gastric bypass and has slowly regained the weight, so I realize nothing is magic. I try very hard and eat healthy and stay active. Both sides of my family have weight issues, the women on my fathers side are all very large, probably all over 400 pounds. My mothers side is not as extreme with exception of my sister who I would guess is probably in between 400 and 500 pounds. I have an 11 year old daughter who I would like to be able to grow up without these same issues, I just don't have the tools to teach her how to eat normally.

Guest Leslie2Lose

Angie - welcome to LBT!

Do your research. This forum is a great resource and full of experience, both good and bad. Know what to expect. Getting the band isn't a quick fix. You will lose slowly (much more than bypass). You'll also get out of it what you put into it. The band is just a tool. If used correctly, it can change your life.

As for the pain - I've had two c-sections. If you've had a baby, this thing is a breeze. Not to say the surgery and recovery are a non-event, they're just easier to recover from. I went online and watched the surgery before hand. I'm one of those people that HAS to know everything before I make an informed decision. I was glad I watched it and regret that I made DH. He freaked out on me...lol Men can be babies sometimes. I felt like myself a week after surgery. There is soreness and small incisions to recover from. The worse part is for me was the internal gas. After a couple weeks all that passes.

The diet was something that was tough for me following surgery. liquids suck, mushies suck. Don't let anyone else tell you differently (IMO). I was so happy to be able to chew again once my doc put me on solids...it was worth every broth, mushy or liquid drink!!!

I now buy healthier foods and my kids are even eating better now. I cook healthier too. We used to eat out 4-5 times a week. Now we eat out maybe 3x a month. My entire lifestyle has changed. It wasn't easy, and still isn't easy. Every day is a struggle for me. But, for the first time in my life I am aware of what I am putting into my body. I feel 200% better and would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

One other important thing to remember is to not eat unless your stomach is growling and you are really hungry, the hardest part for me is not giving into psychological 'boredom' eating in the evenings, I try to stay busy though.

Thanks again so much. I have done tons of research, but nothing compares to having the opinions and advice of someone who has been there. I appreciate all of the input.