Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone. My name is Scott, I am now 7 weeks postop. I was banded on May 27, 2008 by Dr Clarke in Schenectady, NY.

Just a short bit of history on Me. I have been at least 100 pounds overweight for the last 25 years. I just recently turned 49 years old and have been battling the diet issue a long time now. In Sept 2004 I was hospitalized foran irregular heartbeat and at that time I also weighed in at a hefty 532 pounds. Needless to say I was shocked, I mean I knew I was overweight, but never did I dream that I was that far overweight. Over the next 2-3 years I battled with attempting to get it done myself with diet alone and finally I gave in to my doctors polite, but insistent request(you know how the head gets with things like this LOL).

In the spring of 2007 I finally made the decision to investigate the Lapband option. There were more factors that brought Me to this including being diagnosed with depression and sleep apnea in the meantime since 2004. I was orignally scheduled to undergo Lpabnd surgery in Dec of 2007, but it has been a rough year for Me what with having My gall bladder out, my mother in law passing away, four very close friends of mine passing away, 4 weeks with bronchitis and a fall down the stairs in Feb of 2008. BUT through all of that (and a full year of medifast AAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGHH) LOL, I finally had the surgery done.

Since the surgery I have had a definate increase in energy and now I am feeling the effects of the restriction in several ways. I now cannot wolf down My food as I used to(I either get hiccups which I never get or the food gets stuck on the way down and that is NOT a pleasant sensation as many of you no doubt have found out. In November of 2007 I was down at 487 Pounds. As of a few days ago I have dropped down to approximatly 420 pounds.

Things are moving along slowly but surely. I have physical therapy 3 times a week for at least 2 hours since Jan of 2008(except for the 6 weeks recovering after My fall) and I attend a Bariatric swim class once a week for an hour, so I am definately feeling better. I had My first fill about 2 weeks ago and it is indeed begging to help. My biggest issue right now is the fast food thing getting rid of that craving and also the hunger issue, not in the stomach, but in the mind.

Having said all of that I would not think about going back the other way, even with some of the issues I have I am still feeling much better than I have in a very long time. This 420 pound mark I am floating around is the lowest weight I have been in almost 5 years now.

SO chin up, keep the exercise up and look towards a brighter future. I have just recently noticed a number of small changes. I had to buy some new sweatppants the next size down as the others were getting so big I was tripping over them. I no longer have to us the seat belt extending in my car. I also noticed the other day that the steering wheel in my car for feeling loose. Well much to my delight I discovered it was not the car, but just a bit less of Me.

Thank you all for listening and I will keep My eyes open and keep reading as I move forward. Thank you all for listening.:ohmy:

Scott

532/487/440/426/215??

Highest/Consultation/Before Surgery/Current/Goal

weight.png

Edited by Scott59
Added Ticker

Scott, congratulations on your weightloss to date, that is fantastic. I'm just over 4 months post op and have lost approximately 40 lbs since surgery plus 20 lbs pre-op and I too feel much better. The lapband has been the best thing that I've done for myself in a very long time. Keep up the good work, the head hunger thing can be a bad thing, as I know it is for me at times too, but if you have a phschologist you can see from time to time, that might help with your head hunger. Even after 4 months for me, I still have head hunger at times, but I do believe it's getting easier. Just remember, if you're hungry eat, if you're not really hungry, drink Water or find something else to occupy your time til that head hunger goes away.

You are a true inspiration! I will print your post and hang it over my sink. If Scott can make it through all of these health issues, deaths of loved ones, and a year of medifast and STILL keep doing what's best for himself then I'll have to remind myself to QwitcherBitchin.

Keep going...and post some pics so that we can see that glow of motivation on your face!

Scott your an inspiration! Congratulations on standing up against all the blows you have been dealt in life.

A word of advice it is to plan ahead to avoid the fast food urge. I always have some chicken breasts individually wrapped in my freezer for quick defrost of frozen hamburgers which are very filling for me and so easy to make! I also have a power bar between meals to help curb the hunger and helps to avoid over eating at the next meal. Also as you get more restriction that might help. But it looks like you don't need too much advice you are on your way!

Thank You for those suggestions, anything that I can get to help kick the fast food binge wood be helpful, I am not as bad as I once was, but sometimes the urge gets too great. Thanks once again for the supprot and the suggestions