Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

RNY...why I chose the band.

I wanted to share a quick story with you guys. Two years ago my sister had RNY gastric bypass surgery. After the surgery, her intestines completely shut down as a reaction to the procedure. She need two bowel ressections and had damage to many of her major organs as a result. She was so close to death that my parents called me at one point saying that they doubt she will make it through the night. After three months of rehibilitation, including an in-home nurse, she felt better. I came so close to losing my sister that it scared me to death. I am NOT an RNY expert, nor do I know what the stats look like as far as complications, but that hit too close to home for me.

Who am I to say that that procedure is unsafe, but that experience definately helped me choose the band. In fact, my mom wouldn't let me get RNY even if I wanted too. I hope safety to all RNYers! But, must give out a big shout in appreciation of a safer option, MY BAND! :)

I feel that with any Surgery there is a risk that something is not going to go right but through out this past year I have been following the stories of some RNYers that have had the misfortune that all went wrong and they are just surviving day to day some have even passed on. My heart goes out to them because like your sister you just never know. I knew when I went in that the band was my choice and if it came down to RNY that was not an option.

I hope your sister is doing alot better.

I feel the same way. I know of four people who have had the RNY. They all had different doctors and one of them was even in another state. Only 3 of them are alive today. Two have had serious problems ranging from a lost spleen, a horrible infection, and an extended ICU stay to ulcers and decreased reaction to her meds. One has had a great time and has lost 118 pounds since her surgery a year ago. Those odds aren't that great in my opinion. I was seriously afraid of the RNY and my husband wouldn't allow it after all this....lol. After all of this and my fear of things being cut and rerouted inside I just couldn't do it. I have only been banded a week as of today but I know i made the right choice, for me at least.

I know folks who had great successful RNY surgeries....that being said, I still chose the band because RNY is MAJOR surgery. My body is actually very healthy, why cut into it unnecessarily? The band will work just fine for me.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister and hope her health continues to improve.

Amen Hamu!!!!

And that is the reason I chose AGB as well!

How is your sister doing now?