Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so here's my current situation. I have been taking Phentermine for about a year now and have managed to take off just over 35 lbs. I am however still over 100 lbs overweight. Just yesterday my primary doctor

Recommended that I seriously look into the LapBand. So, I've been on line

virtually reading everything I can; and pretty much everything I've read

talks about overeating. Well, what if you’re not an overeater? Let me explain before I go any further.

Before I had my boys, I was already 20 lbs overweight, but never more than that. After having two gestational diabetic pregnancies with insulin and 2 c-sections, I went from being 175 all the way to 2 lbs shy of

300. I have worked very very hard in the past 5 years to train my brain to

eat only when my stomach is growling or I've begun to get a headache.

Yes, I am aware that this is very bad for me, but when I say I'm not an overeater I'm being serious. Most recently with the help of the phentermine my stomach doesn't even growl. I literally have to force myself to eat a small bowl of cheerios and a Lean Cuisine meal, and that's for an entire day! Again, I am aware this is bad for me. I already had no metabolism, not eating makes it worse. Further, I'm not supporting the Phentermine either.

So, here is my question: How will the lap band work for me? Has anybody been in a situation like this? Also, when I do choose to overeat, it’s always for something sugary. I've read a lot about sugar being a big big no no; what happens if I do eat sugar? I basically ask because I don't trust myself when it comes to sugar; I truly believe it’s an addiction. Thankfully, only a once a month addiction for me.

Anyway, any help, advice or information you all can provide for me would be greatly appreciated. K

Before you go about getting a band it could be very useful to find out why you aren't losing weight. You say you have no metabolism. Have you had your basal metabolic rate tested? Have you had your thyroid checked? Do you have polycystic ovaries or some other process that causes insulin resistance? Have you sat down with a dietician and took a long hard look at your diet? Have you seen a trainer or exercise physiologist to set up an exercise program? Have you seen a psychologist to see if there is some emotional or psychological barrier to weightloss? You need to find out why you are where you are because it is not typical for someone who only eats a bowl of cheerios and a lean cuisine to be obese.

What I would do is go to a seminar or education day with a band doctor and ask questions. See what resources their office has and use them.

I would see if you have an underlying condition that is causing you to not lose weight. There are several things that can cause this....PCOS, medications, hypothyroid, etc... If you are not eating enough calories, then you could be in starvation mode and your metabolism slowing down. Are you exercising? That will help to increase your muscle mass and increase your metabolism as well.

The lap band restricts how much you eat, and sometimes the foods you can eat. Some people can eat certain foods, and some can't because of the restriction. It's a YMMV situation. If you are addicted to sugar, then it would be best to stay away from it as much as possible. I struggle with this myself with starchy sweets. The more I eat them , the more I crave them.

Have you tried a low to moderate carb diet such as South Beach? See how you do on that and if some weight starts to come off faster when you cut back on sugar. You can also do both the lap band and South Beach (or other diet) together.

HTH!

Amanda

i have been exactly where u are,i had taken medication,i believe it was phendymetrazine,for about 2 years,i had lost 40 pounds in the first 6 months,havent lost a pound since then,i just took the pills cause i was scared of gaining the weight,when i would take a few days break from the pills i would gain about 5 pounds,and that really scared me,but deep down i knew i couldnt do it for the rest of my life,i had no metabolism like u said,so i started to look into the band,and i did it,and i think its the best thing that i did for myself,i know there are a lot of questions,and you cant understand what will happen to you after surgery,but it all falls into place,and you begin to live differently,and feel differently,i really do recommend it

While you are researching and deciding there are a few things you should do for yourself regardless or whether or not you have a band placed.

Weight loss for most is primarily looking at calories in being less than calories burned . . . unless there are complicating health factors that you are also dealing with.

Many people who are morbidly obese say that they don't eat much . . . but to really know for sure, you should monitor your calorie intake using something like fitday.com or the dailyplate, etc. You should track everything, even the occasional nibble on a piece of candy between meals. You might find you are ingesting more calories in the course of a day than you expect.

Also, like was already mentioned, make sure you are tested thoroughly to ensure that there are no other complicating factors.

Everyone has a different opinion on methods for weight loss. I don't like the thought of taking medications to control weight because I have heard of too many health complications over the years from these drugs.

Lapband was the right choice for me because instead of using drugs that might have negative consequences down the road, I am using my own body to help in this struggle for health.

Ok, so here's my current situation. I have been taking Phentermine for about a year now and have managed to take off just over 35 lbs. I am however still over 100 lbs overweight. Just yesterday my primary doctor

Recommended that I seriously look into the LapBand. So, I've been on line

virtually reading everything I can; and pretty much everything I've read

talks about overeating. Well, what if you’re not an overeater? Let me explain before I go any further.

Before I had my boys, I was already 20 lbs overweight, but never more than that. After having two gestational diabetic pregnancies with insulin and 2 c-sections, I went from being 175 all the way to 2 lbs shy of

300. I have worked very very hard in the past 5 years to train my brain to

eat only when my stomach is growling or I've begun to get a headache.

Yes, I am aware that this is very bad for me, but when I say I'm not an overeater I'm being serious. Most recently with the help of the phentermine my stomach doesn't even growl. I literally have to force myself to eat a small bowl of cheerios and a Lean Cuisine meal, and that's for an entire day! Again, I am aware this is bad for me. I already had no metabolism, not eating makes it worse. Further, I'm not supporting the Phentermine either.

So, here is my question: How will the lap band work for me? Has anybody been in a situation like this? Also, when I do choose to overeat, it’s always for something sugary. I've read a lot about sugar being a big big no no; what happens if I do eat sugar? I basically ask because I don't trust myself when it comes to sugar; I truly believe it’s an addiction. Thankfully, only a once a month addiction for me.

Anyway, any help, advice or information you all can provide for me would be greatly appreciated. K

Hey K,

Well before i got the lap band i was on the same thing.... but mine was the brand name Adipex-p and it does wonders for controlling your hunger.. my only thing is, is that i have been on it too long and it dosent work for me anymore...:ohmy:... But to answer the question from 2 of the other post the reason u are not loosing weight anymore is because as i think u know u are not eating enough.. your body is use to only tetting that amt. of calories and u are basically at a platu... now i can give tips on how to break the platu... but the band will help u get fuller faster... just say u will only be able to eat 1/2 of a cup cake...lol... when u have a restriction you will not be able to finish a meal at all... i would eat because i was always hungry but now i am rarely ever hungry but know i need to eat to keep my metabolism reved up... so i just stick with the small meals.. every few hours... but it has worked wonders for me... and i go on thursday to get another fill so as of then i will weigh in...:blushing:.. but if u have any questions for me.. shoot away....

You should realize if you are insulin resistant, sugar makes your insulin spike up to 300% more than a normal person's. You say this is what you are eating on the side, sugary food. You need to eat to stay full so you are not tempted by those foods, which sound like they are poisen for you just as they are for me.

I was the same way as you are, Im not really over eating at any one time, but Im willing to try and eat to stay full and stay away from bad carbs and sugary foods.

Read a few diet books about eating low gi. Eating low gi is proven to lose weight faster than cutting calories or eating low fat, even on more calories a day. It really is what you eat, not just how much you eat.

Only you know if you are ready to change you eating style. Believe me Im in the same boat as you are, will this work for me?? I sure dont know. Im still in the 4 weeks post surgery and cant eat real food for a month, which while Im going thru it seems like a very very long time.