Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Spasms in the legs

Ya know... I started having small spasms in my right calf muscle... Only started happening after surgery. Everyone around me thinks I'm crazy because I keep saying "I hope it's not a blood clot." It's not swollen and it doesn't hurt. It just keeps spasming. Is this what you're referring to?

I had a cramp in my calf this morning but I never associated it with the surgery. It's an idea though. I don't usually have these.

Not exactly. I think it is a lot more intense than what you are experiencing. I don't know if it happens with the lapband. Are you happy with your lapband?

I had it quite a bit for the first month or 2 after surgery. It seems to have gone away on its own.

Often spasms in the legs are indicative of low potassium. I wonder if the surgery reaction on the body could change that level. You can be proactive and eat a lot more potassium filled foods (bananas are good).

Thanks, the potassium thing is definitely a great point. Lapbandmexico - I am happy with my band, but I have to admit, I'm still in that healing stage and still am not 100% about it. Everyone tells me that will go away and that the "What the heck did I just do to myself" feeling will subside soon. What about you?

If it's the pain, I can tell you that everyone is different. The pain will soon go away and you begin to forget what you experienced. I experienced more pain than most and now I'm up doing almost everything that I did prior to surgery. Luckily, I have a great job and have taken 5 weeks off with Short Term Disability, paid. It's great because sitting at a computer for more than 30 mins begins to hurt and that's pretty much my job.

The one thing I would recommend doing, if you are an emotional eater, is to really address that prior to surgery. I thought I had, but I can tell you that's been more difficult than the pain for me. It's hard to see everyone around me eat good food. I just have to remember it's not good for them and I'm trying to get healthy. My life has revolved around food since day one and I'm just having to re-learn how to deal with food. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! :ohmy:

I had my band on 7/1/08 and I can honestly say that after the first day I had almost NO pain. The only thing was gas but I walked and that went away. I see on here that a lot of the people have pain for a lot longer. I was on Byetta injections for diabetes, maybe that is why I felt so good so soon. The dr took me off it and I was in heaven. I am no longer on that and have cut my Januvia, also for diabetes, is cut in half.

I fell so good, it is unbelieveable so soon!

Good luck and don't be afraid. I am sure everyone second guesses their selves just before surgery.

It is the best thing I have ever done. Lost 20lbs so far.

WORTH IT WORTH IT WORTH IT WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! It doesn't happen overnight. It's a process. The first few months are kindof a pain in the you know what with the learning curve, but HANG IN THERE. It gets better and better and better. Don't expect miracles when you first get banded. You won't see the ultimate results until you have good restriction (sometimes 2-3-4 fills down the road). You didn't put the weight on overnight and you won't lose it overnight, but you WILL lose it (unless you fight the process) and it WILL stay off.