Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New to site and just learning.

My name is Bruce and I am thinking about the lapband surgery. I am looking everywhere I can for helpful info. Because I am thinking about the surgery, I have changed my eating quite a bit. No burgers, pizza, chips etc... My question is about something that I have heard very little about, drinking Water. When your stomach is the size of a dixie cup, how can you drink enough water to keep hydrated when you are doing yard work or playing sports? The smaller amount of food shouldn't be a problem bacause I want this very much, but I do a lot of outdoor activities and drink a lot of water or crystal lite type drinks. Once you get thursty how do you drink enough to quench your thirst? Thanks for any info, not just about this question. Bruce

Hi Bruce Im new to this too havent been banded yet but have my first appt scheduled. Im no expert, but from what I understand, liquids go through the pouch fine, its the food that stays in the pouch longer periods of time. Thats why they say not to drink 30 mins before and and hour after eating. It will wash the food through too fast. Think of it as an hour glass. Sand goes through slowly, but if you put Water in it, it will go through fast. Hope this helps....You just have to keep drinking often and stay hydrated.

The trick is small sips and often. You won't be able to slam down a half gallon of Water, like you might do now when you get thirsty, so if you are working outdoors and sweating a lot, keep a sipper bottle with you and sip at it constantly.

I have wondered the same thing about Water. I am a big drinker; I mean, I can drink a lot of water at one time, and I've heard both that it will go right through the band, no problem, and that you should take only sips. Which is correct?

Check out the Frequently Asked Questions by Alex. I got tons of info from there.

From what I understand, you stomach is the size of an egg. You drink liquids between meals and no liquid with meals. liquid makes the food go through faster, and the goal is to have the food release slowly. The band is adjustable and once you get it right it helps your brain think it is full.

Check out that link, it will answer many of your questions.

Hope this helps

They still say to get a full 64 oz of Water a day. I have been told to keep a water bottle close by, and have even started carrying one with me now as much as possible. You do need to watch out for the ones that you have to suck out of though, like using a straw it puts too much air into your pouch and makes you uncomfortable. Walmart has a Rubbermaid water bottle that is a 20 or 32 ounce and has a wide opening to fill the bottle, and the lid opens wide enough to get a good drink and when shut doesn't leak out. I have bought a few of them so that one will always be clean.

I am so confused................

64 ounces, no carbonation, no sports top. You need to drink16 ounces of milk a day for the Calcium and protien. AND you cannot drink during meals.

So does this mean no more cold Cereal? OR is that a no no anyway? And what about Soup, like lentil and veggies?

64 ounces - good grief. I guess I really need to meet with the Nutritionist. She make my appointment 2 weeks before my surgery. I guess I need to write my questions down so I don't forget them, I get very nervous when I see the Dr

This is my first post! I have been researching for a week now. This is a great site.

I have only mentioned to my husband and my daughter that I am thinking about this procedure. Currently my biggest concern is the amount of Water I drink.

I always have Water with me, I crave it. It's not the same as being thirsty. I cartainly can tell the difference. I usually take 3 or 4 big gulps of water at a time and can down a huge amount at one time. Today, each time I drank water or tea, I would think............now that would have filled me up if I had the band.

Also with the amount of water I drink, I have sore legs from loss of salt not to mention how many times a night I pee!!

I'm glad I found this post, however, not sure if there was a clear answer. Take sips or it doesn't matter, it goes right through.

I will have to be more mindfull of how I drink and practice "sipping":ohmy: