Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band not working

I lost a lot of weight in the beginning since I was on a liquid diet for two weeks. I lost only one pound since then though. I have a 7 cc fill on a 14 cc band so far. Another problem is that they tried to fill me slightly more but I failed the Water drinking test. It got stuck so they had to back off down to 7 cc. I can basically eat as much as I want still. My doctor is concerned and I paid out of pocket.

Edited by asenft

Well, the band is not magic. It only works if you also hugely restrict your calories along with bringing in exercising too. My doctor says to use an 800 calories a day diet and I will loose rapidly. When I do that he is correct. More than that calorie wise and you are prolonging the whole process.

The band does not prevent you from making bad food choices or eating the wrong stuff. It only makes it hard to binge and eat too fast or too much at one time. It's possible to go around it completely if you really want to do that. If you want to cooperate with it and get healthy, it's a portable reminder to eat right that never leaves you.

The fills won't save you, honey, and the band won't either. You must do the work and the band will help you get there but that's all it does. The rest is you controlling you. Good luck!

Like I said before, I can eat as much as I want. There is no restriction. It's not working. I do eat healthy though and been exercising more...

Hi! I have been banded for a little over 10 months now. I have a 4cc band and filled to 4cc with no restriction i have had 10 fills in 10 months, was x-rayed for slippage,kept a food journal for 2 wks (reviewed by a nutritionist) she even said the quality of food was good but the amount i should not be able to eat and it should take me longer to eat it.(it takes me approx.7-10 mins for a meal) she also said that she thinks there is something wrong with my band. I'm confused too. I have only lost 18lbs this whole time. I do have a dr. Appt. Aug 5 and i hope to get answers. I know that the band is only an aid to weight loss but when you have no restriction to stop the amount of food intake (isn't that is what the band is supposed to do ---limit your food intake) it is very hard to lose weight . I also walk 1-2 miles everyday and still no weight loss. So keep your head up maybe the band is not meant for everyone .....i hope not!!!!!!

You know it does sound like your particular band is just not working! Having the band tighter is no fun however; the procedure is not bad but the restriction of it is problamatic and no fun. The only way it really helps is that I feel full with very little food and you are missing out on that lovely benefit. My doctor told me an 800 calories a day diet is the way to go for quick weight loss. If notice that if I increase my calories much over that amount the weight loss stops, band or no band. So there is still some serious dieting involved with the band, but because I have a band I can eat very little and feel full during it. Best of luck to you dear!